Trucker Shutdown Underway!

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Just heard reports on NPR of shutdowns, slowdowns, etc with drivers being ticketed for impeding traffic on the East Coast.

I'll be checking the truckstop tonight for truckers shutdown and giving out some free beer!

:D

EDIT: CNN says that its only sporadic. dangit. This will be ineffectual at best.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I like the ones who, if asked yesterday, wouldn't commit to shutting down today, but now that today has come and they didn't get a load, "Well, yeah you betcha I'm shutting down."

I really can't see how a handful of independent truckers shutting down, much less slowing down and making commuters madder than they already are at the trucking industry, for one day is gonna have much of an effect on the price of crude oil on the world market.

Senator: "Mr. ExxonMobile big shot, why don't you invest more of your profits into alternative energy?"

Mr. ExxonMobile Big Shot: "Because, Senator, like, duh, we're in the oil business, not the alternative energy business. That's why they call it alternative energy."

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Turtle,
I liked this;

What would bring lower prices? asked Rep Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, the committee's ranking Republican

"We need access to all kinds of energy supply," replied Robert Malone, chairman of BP America, adding that 85 percent of the country's coastal waters are off limits to drilling.

And there was something added about other areas that the government is not allowing any drilling.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I've watched these same truckers rant about low rates for a long time. Most don't know their cost per mile. It took $4 a gallon to wake them up. Then they blame everyone but themselves for their predicament. This is a Free Market. I guess you could say that I really don't have much sympathy for them at this point.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I've watched these same truckers rant about low rates for a long time. Most don't know their cost per mile. It took $4 a gallon to wake them up. Then they blame everyone but themselves for their predicament. This is a Free Market. I guess you could say that I really don't have much sympathy for them at this point.

I agree . The ones crying have been accepting cheap rates for months . Now they can't afford fuel . The fuel surcharge ? Oh , the broker keeps that .

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
wave 10 tv in hampton roads va had about 10 mins on slow down or shut down
so lets pick on exon mobile and one of the other truck stop and
not buy fuel from them

it work in 2000 in new york state when the they were going to raise fuel tax .10 cent per gallon we hit one truck stop and drove though than went to other one and bought fuel they took about 2 weeks to get , fuel tax back to where it was

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
wave 10 tv in hampton roads va had about 10 mins on slow down or shut down
so lets pick on exon mobile and one of the other truck stop and
not buy fuel from them

it work in 2000 in new york state when the they were going to raise fuel tax .10 cent per gallon we hit one truck stop and drove though than went to other one and bought fuel they took about 2 weeks to get , fuel tax back to where it was

In that case, you had a clear cut goal. Today, you'll get different stories from different drivers, because it's about an emotional venting and not any real logic.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There is one reason that I have been so critical on this issue; no one is talking about solutions, they are crying about the problems.

I have looked all over and see no one that has yet said 'if we can all get this done, it will help us this way'.

I have heard or read comments that it is the following that they they are striking for;
  • the high cost of fuel
  • NAFTA
  • the Mexican to Canada super highway
  • Mexican trucks
  • outsourcing
  • high cost of insurance
  • the importation of oil
  • global warming
WHICH ONE IS IT?

IT NEEDS TO BE ONE, JUST ONE.

The solutions are really easy but they will not become reality unless these people get it together with things I speak of all the time.