Truck Stop Restaurants

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depending on the restaurant, and of course the server, a server can make $200-$400 a day in tips.

Re: Forget I bothered

I've made an average of 150 on up a day in the past...but I moved to a town where jobs are scarce. The 40-70 I make a day now buys gas and groceries mainly...lol...I save up for other bills as much as I can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EO Forums mobile app

jimby82

Veteran Expediter

Servers have a difficult job. Two sisters and two nieces have made this their career choice. (Bob Evans) They make decent money.

We always leave at least $5.00, no matter the size of the bill. (20% minimum.) Glad someone is willing do it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Thank you! I'm glad some people know it's hard work.

What would you say makes being a server hard work? I can see where it would not be a fun job but I've never seen even the hardest working servers do any hard work. What other jobs have you done to compare the work load vs paycheck and decide you aren't making enough? What would you say is the hardest part of your job?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Putting up with dirty smelly drivers would be hard work by itself.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

It's not even worth trying to explain.
I'll just copy and paste from a Web page I found..although it doesn't mention the mopping of floors, putting heavy chairs on top of tables, sweeping, trash taking out, huge blocks of ice taken off of salad bar nitely, stacks and stacks of dishes that you must wash many times due to no dishwasher, etc...

Responsibilities

A good server never stops moving, from the beginning to the end of a shift. Diners must be seated promptly, their orders taken, and their food delivered. The waitress must remember which meal corresponds to which diner, and address any dietary restrictions or special requests. She's attentive enough to provide a high level of service, without hovering or being intrusive. Servers must be familiar with the menu, and adept at selling the most profitable items. They need a strong sense of the kitchen's rhythm, and the time needed for each dish. Between guests they restock the service area, clean as needed, and help other servers with their tables. Above all, they must maintain a friendly, professional appearance.

Physical Demands

Servers are typically on their feet for the entire shift, so comfortable shoes are necessary to prevent foot pain and potential knee or back problems. If the restaurant is short-staffed, shifts can often last 12 or 14 hours. A server routinely handles heavy trays, loaded with multiple meals or quantities of dirty dishes headed back from the dining room.*

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Putting up with dirty smelly drivers would be hard work by itself.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

That's another job frustration, not really hard work. The most frustrating part I would say is dealing with BS trucker stories. You can get a few feet away and the smell wouldn't be much of an issue but the guy telling his BS story can usually be heard in the back of the restaurant.

zorry

Veteran Expediter

A guy that sits on his *** for the bulk of his shift telling someone on their feet for 8 hours or more that they're not working ?
This is where the momentum shifts to the OP's side for me.

Thanks zorry...I worked 12.75 hours tuesday...ate a sandwich standing up in intervals and didn't sit down until I got home..I chose this life..but dang it I pick one that wears you down and hurts!! Lol

Only one or two actually smell...All the others smell great..they usually shower before meals...lolol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

What would you say makes being a server hard work? I can see where it would not be a fun job but I've never seen even the hardest working servers do any hard work. What other jobs have you done to compare the work load vs paycheck and decide you aren't making enough? What would you say is the hardest part of your job?
It may not be hard physical labor, but it's hard work nonetheless. By far, the hardest job in a restaurant is being a server. Anybody can smile and bring food, but it's not easy to make everyone feel welcome and enjoy the dining experience, and at the same time be the face of the restaurant. You need to know the menu intimately, and all of the quirks of the kitchen. You need the patience of a saint, not only to put up with rude and demanding customers, but managers who don't know what they're doing, either. On top of all that, the average server walks about 12 miles a day, while doing a ballet, in a crowd.

I never waited tables when I was the manager of the upscale steakhouse (where the servers routinely took home between $400 and $500 a night, except this one gay guy who did nearly twice that - if you want to be a successful server, generally speaking, be a gay guy), but I did on occasion wait tables as a District Manager for Denny's. And it wasn't a truckstop Denny's, it was at very busy locations in Nashville. I knew the menu intimately and all the quirks of the kitchen, and I was eaten alive. You stop to think about what you're doing, blink, and you're buried.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

A guy that sits on his *** for the bulk of his shift telling someone on their feet for 8 hours or more that they're not working ?
This is where the momentum shifts to the OP's side for me.

It doesn't change the fact that it isn't hard work and I never claimed driving was some physically demanding job.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

It may not be hard physical labor, but it's hard work nonetheless. By far, the hardest job in a restaurant is being a server. Anybody can smile and bring food, but it's not easy to make everyone feel welcome and enjoy the dining experience, and at the same time be the face of the restaurant. You need to know the menu intimately, and all of the quirks of the kitchen. You need the patience of a saint, not only to put up with rude and demanding customers, but managers who don't know what they're doing, either. On top of all that, the average server walks about 12 miles a day, while doing a ballet, in a crowd.

I never waited tables when I was the manager of the upscale steakhouse (where the servers routinely took home between $400 and $500 a night, except this one gay guy who did nearly twice that - if you want to be a successful server, generally speaking, be a gay guy), but I did on occasion wait tables as a District Manager for Denny's. And it wasn't a truckstop Denny's, it was at very busy locations in Nashville. I knew the menu intimately and all the quirks of the kitchen, and I was eaten alive. You stop to think about what you're doing, blink, and you're buried.

All the servers that I have known have always done well and when you look at the job requirements, skills, and demands the pay was great. I'm wondering if the same could be said for the people working in the kitchen. I've only known 2 people that worked in the kitchen and neither one lasted more than 2 months because they didn't feel it was worth it. That's why I'm wondering what other jobs she has done to compare the work load vs pay. Sometimes it only takes a few weeks doing some manual labor to realize things aren't so bad where your at.

I've worked many jobs. I never compared heavy construction labor to waitressing. It is hard work, but I'm not going to argue the point further. Some people aren't going to ever admit they may be wrong. I get a workout everyday. Have a wonderful day and please remember that the servers you encounter work their very hardest to help people enjoy a meal and try and bring a smile to your face. I'm giving my notice today, I was offered a management position where hopefully, although I know rudeness exists everywhere, I won't be called a stupid ***** and reported to management if I politely explain to a guest we are out of bologna, or if they want their steak cooked medium well or just medium.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I've worked many jobs. I never compared heavy construction labor to waitressing. It is hard work, but I'm not going to argue the point further. Some people aren't going to ever admit they may be wrong. I get a workout everyday. Have a wonderful day and please remember that the servers you encounter work their very hardest to help people enjoy a meal and try and bring a smile to your face. I'm giving my notice today, I was offered a management position where hopefully, although I know rudeness exists everywhere, I won't be called a stupid ***** and reported to management if I politely explain to a guest we are out of bologna, or if they want their steak cooked medium well or just medium.

That's where you seem to be confusing what I am saying. I know that servers work hard and have a frustrating job but that doesn't make it hard work. Any job is going to have its frustrations and downsides but you just need to look at whether or not it's worth it. Even if you are an employee you are still in business for yourself and your time is money.

In the future if you just want people to tell you what you want to hear I would suggest complaining to your peers rather than doing so on an open forum.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

For most people, hard work is defined as a great deal of effort or endurance.
As in... it takes hard work to be successful in business.

Something is hard when it is difficult to do or accomplish, be it fatiguing or troublesome, with respect to an action, situation or person.

The opposite of hard is easy. You are implying that being a server is easy when you say it isn't hard work. If so, you could not be more wrong.

1. One pipe will fill a tank in 1 hour, while another pipe can fill the same tank in 2 hours. How long will it take to fill the tank if both pipes are used?

2. Paul sold half his fish and half a fish to his friend Peter and still had 22 fish left. How many fish did Paul start with?

3. Evaluate [3 - (4 - 5(7 - 6) + 6)] + 2

4. Solve (x - 4)
=(x + 6)

Easy work, or hard work to solve these problems?

For most people, solving 1 and 2 are easy, for others not so much. For most people, solving 3 and 4 is very hard work.n For some, 3 and 4 can be physically demanding.

Answers hidden below.

1. 40 minutes
2. 45 fish
3. -2
4. -66

Highlight the empty space above to view the answers.

I didn't want to only hear things in agreement with my original post. But just not ones so convoluted. If one works hard....doesn't that ,In essence ,make it hard work? It is hard work, it can be profitable but you earn every penny. Have a wonderful day! I like my chosen career, but in all the restaurants I have worked, the truck stop venue, is the only one where leaving a dollar for superior service is the norm. I know many truckers are struggling, but so is everyone. It's all irrelevant, as stated, I'm giving notice and returning to another part of the industry. I've worked at a truck stop for only a short while and already have seen many girls come and go due to the tipping norm. I now know why most places only have older servers as constants, it's all they have done and really have no where else to go. It's really sad though, our primary training consists of how to be sympathetic and upbeat to our truck drivers because of all the frustrations they face from waiting for loads, to unload, to trying to get home to their families, drive time screwed because of regulations that only permit a certain hours allotted to drive. We are literally indoctrinated to make our restaurant a welcoming and friendly place where you can get a good meal, a sympathetic ear about the repairs your truck is undergoing, how much you hate the government or whomever, and have a place to vent and feel a little better if possible. So, just remember that the next time you pay 25 bucks for a steak, never have to ask for a refill, get a dessert prepared and delivered by your server, have your cup or thermos filled up and are told to be safe out there and come back again. And then you leave a dollar in gratitude for wonderful service and for someone willing to just listen, for the other waitresses out there...cause I'm out of it. You know how yall sit in a line waiting to get unloaded at a warehouse and the situation is beyond your control? How your dispatcher/company/wife may be upset for something beyond your control? What if they shaved money off your pay for that?, alot of times with the kitchen running behind or whatever, that's exactly what happens to us.