truck repairs

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, here is one for you fleet owners. What repair work do you require your drivers to do? I have heard some horror stories on this and would like to know what the norm is, if there is a norm. Looking forward to hearing from you as always. Layoutshooter

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Only basic items like change a light bulb if it can be reached and minor stuff. Checking air pressure, drain air tanks ect.
More maintenance items rather than repairs. On occassion change a belt or something basic on a generator. Sometimes it is easier to do something simple rather than wait hours on a shop to get to it.
Then they forward a receipt for these items.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The fleet owners we drove for required nothing; except those with generators on the trucks required us to do generator oil changes. With the fleet owner's permission I sometimes did more, but I had previous experience as an auto mechanic and was able to do so.

There are three issues. One is driver liability. Suppose a driver takes it upon himself to change a burned out light bulb in the dash. A wrong move with a screwdriver could possibly short out the instrument cluster, creating the need for an expensive repair. If the owner asked the driver to change the bulb, would the owner pay? Would the driver? Same question if the driver took it upon himself to change the bulb and shorted out the cluster.

Another issue is safety. Suppose an owner asks a driver to buy a cheap reefer battery at Wal-Mart and install it himself. Then say the battery explodes and injurs the driver during the installation. Is the driver responsible for buying a new battery due to installation negligence? Is the owner responsible to pay the driver's medical bills?

The third issue is compensation. Hourly labor rates in truck repair facilities are approaching $100 per hour in some places. If you have your driver do something that a shop would charge $100 for, is it not reasonable to pay the driver for his or her labor too?

As you can see, the more work drivers do on an owners truck, the more complicated things can quickly become.

Owners were delighted to have me fix their trucks instead of taking it to the shop. But because I never really knew how an owner might react if a slip of my wrench damaged the truck, I pretty much kept my mechanical skills to myself. Though, when something broke that I could fix, and fixing it would improve our in service time or avoid a service failure, I'd get the owner's permission to proceed and make the repair. While motivated by financial self-interest to do that, I was still careful to not get in too deep. It was not my truck to get in deep with.

It's different having our own truck. The only owner I have to worry about is me and Diane. Any mistakes I might make are mine to live with. That gives me a lot more freedom to do maintenance and repairs and enjoy the cost savings.

If I were a fleet owner, I would almost insist that my drivers take the truck in for service of most every kind. Just as I never knew for sure how our truck owners might react to a bad mistake, as a fleet owner, I'd never know for sure what my drivers' true capabilities are. I'd prefer to pay a shop to have the work done and deal with the shop on any issues that may rise.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't require them to do anything. My one driver especially is pretty mechanical so when he tells me he can take care of something I tell him go ahead. I pay for the parts and I give him a portion of what a shop would charge and we both come out ahead.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo has the right idea but as a former fleet owner I would expect my drivers to at lease tell me what is wrong.

I had one guy who did really well. the truck was clean and everything worked. He replace the headlight, some other lights on the box when they would go and never said a thing about it and told him I would pay for his time but he refused. Good driver, wish all fleet owners would have that kind of person working for them.

On the other hand I have had drivers who thought I have a camera on the truck knowing when something was wrong. One driver brought his truck in to the dealer for an oil change and had everything fixed that He thought needed fixing. $8000 later I had a near new truck and one less driver - fired him at the dealer after I went on a screaming tantrum with the service manager. He told them to replace what they think needed replacing on a truck that had 75K on the clock - new radiator, belts, hoses, intank fuel filter, A/C compressor and dryer - even the hose for the air cleaner was replaced for some reason. Not that this truck was falling apart, the dealer saw an opertunity. The truck lasted until it was wrecked at 480K on the clock - not bad for an F350.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think after all this time, I will keep things as they are. We have never had a problem. Alot of those issues can be addressed when you hire someone. You can usually make some evaluation of basic mechanical skills at that point.
But to be fair, changing batteries isn't something that a driver should be doing if properly scheduled maintenance schedules are adhered to. A load test several times a year will usually catch a questionable battery.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Night_Runner36

Seasoned Expediter
from what I heard mainly just the basic's but I have heard that some want the driver to do more if they can ....I was able to show My Owner /Partner that I could do some of the dirtier stuff and wasnt afraid to get dirty I asked Him if I could carry a share alt. belts head lights tail lights bulbs hoses termastats starter on the truck as I would hate to be out in the boonies and not be able to get to a repair shop and save a tow if I could do the same job ....He said yes and supplied what I asked for...but every one is different and some would rather go to a shop and have that tow bill if needed I may only be a Lease driver but to Me the truck is Mine and it is My job to keep it in the top shape and before I asked to have all the extra parts a TA shop tried to rip Us off on a repair that didnt need to be done so if there is a repair I cant do I stand there next to My truck and watch the tech and ask why this or why that and I keep My Owner/Partner advised on every thing ......stay safe and stay happy

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Glad to see I'm not the only one with that theory Nightrunner.

When I last drove for a fleet owner, I was responsible for changing headlights, marker lights, fuses, wiper blades, that sort of thing. Anything that I would do to my own car, and doesn't require a mechanic's training.

It was never a big deal to me, as I figured it was for my own safety, and comfort. After all, it's my butt if I get pulled around for a headlight out, or bad wiper blade etc, so why not take a personal interest? As long as the owner reimbursed me for parts, was no biggie. In fact, one owner gave me a $100.00 petty cash fund for just such things, I just kept receipts of anything I did.

Obviously major stuff should go to a mechanic, but I am a firm believer in carrying basic hand tools, spare headlight, spare hoses or emergency hose repair kits, antifreeze, fuses, spare belts, spare fuel filter, tire plug kit, etc.. and I believe every driver should have at least basic mechanical skills.

Why have hrs of downtime and lost revenue waiting on road service at a scalehouse, or at some dealership if you can fix it in a few minutes yourself?

Must be a redneck..er ..revenue..thang!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,

You grow old because you stop laughing.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do expect to be told about anything that is wrong with the truck. I don't understand an owner not letting the operator perform a job if they are competent to do so. Financially it's in both their best interests. Whatever parts are needed are bought and have a receipt to be deducted. The labor would be receipted and deducted if performed at the dealer. The shop rate would be $75 per hour on average. The deduction would provide a tax savings of $20-25 so the out of pocket on labor is $50 an hour. If the operator can do the job and you pay him $30 an hour to do it he's $30 an hour ahead of sitting while the shop does it and you're $20 ahead of the after tax cost. It's a win-win. You should know if the operator is capable and honest about their abilities. They aren't going to want to be driving a truck if they did a marginal repair job since they're closest to the crash so it seems safe to go that route.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree. I would think it is a poor excuse that someone can't change a light bulb if it easy and can be done in a simple manner. Most dash bulbs are simple push in pullout types that don't require a screwdriver except to remove the front panel. Not likely to short something...and of course, have that bulb turned off during the changing process. Way too much time involved in many instances setting up a repair and waiting for something simple.
If someone can't handle the simple items, they really shouldn't be in this business.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator