Truck probs in Muskogee

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Stuck here in OK with a phantom problem. After I stop for awhile, then start it back up, I drive for a very short distance and it cuts out. After it sits for about a half hour it starts again. The first place I took it to was a small shop. All they did was change a fuse which didn't need replacing. Had the same problem after I pulled off to the side. They jumped a wire from across my fuel pump selenoid to keep it running, so I could get it to a decent shop. Well, they worked on it for 90 mins and can't find what's wrong. It started back up, but I'm staying here so they can work on it in the morning. Anyone have an idea what might be going on here?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Could be several items depending on what type of engine. The basics based on your post is a siezure within the fuel pump selenoid. Especially if it is bypassed and everything runs ok. If it still quits, then there is a host of other items based on the engine type.

Davekc

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'll betcha it's that Oklahoma air. Steers & Queers you know. Did you get close to one???

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We had a very similar problem 2 years ago, but with a ISB Cummins. It would run great for about 2 minutes, then had zero power, sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders for about 60 seconds, then quit. 10 minutes later it would start right back up, and then immediately repeat the senario.

Conway had us towed to Erie to swap the freight, we then were towed to Fyda Frtlnr in Youngstown. They swapped out our batteries and away we went.

They were all showing great voltage, (why the warm engine started again and again) but only 4-5 amps of voltage. The ISB is all electronic, and needs 5 amps to run the ECM and 3 amps (i believe) to run the electronic fuel system. As soon as it was starved for amperage it went nuts.

And only a full battery load test showed the problem.

Just food for thought - electronic engines can be needle in haystack diagnosis problems.

GOOD LUCK!
The Gibster

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That makes a good point that you can only truly know what's going on with your batteries by doing a load test. I'd consider that an annual inspection item. Dave and others, how often would you suggest load testing batteries?

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Once a year if you are paying, and twice if you are not. Best time is right before winter when the demands on your batteries are the greatest. Then, I would do them in the spring to ensure there are no grounding and or corrosion issues.

Davekc
owner
21 years

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't the truck run fine with dying batteries? After it's started, the alternator keeps it running. Or am I a dummy?

Btw... they rigged up a couple of wires for me, in case it happens again. Which it did last night. Works like a charm. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like the fuel shutoff selenoid. I'll take a closer look when I get home.

Thanx for the replies... except for the Colonel's :p

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Tennesee, that's exactly what I thought, and questioned - the batteries are simply storage units, and the alternator takes over after running. You should be able to take the batteries out and literally run down the road.

And when they quoted me the repair and the batteries' price I really questioned it. They told me at Fyda that the ISB requires the whole circuit to be present, including batteries, that they are not as isolated as I'm used to. And that weak batteries threw the ECM outta 'balance' of sorts . . .the best way to explain it.

Anyway, that's all they replaced and it's been 2 years now (knock on wood) without the problem repeating itself. I AGREE, sounds strange, and I don't know that I still understand it, but the proof was in the end repair.

Maybe one of our EO members that are/was a tech can enlighten us?

Good luck Tennesee, let me know what you discover!

The Gibster

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
hey hawk disconnect the batteries let them sit for a couple of hours and check them for power just had the same problem with my fl-80 300 cummins the alt was charging but the batteries wernt holding the charge for crap was getting weak enough that it was messin with the fuel pump new set of 3 and havent had a problem with it since. may also be the high pressure fuel pump that went on mine shoryly after i got in jan. both acted about the same way hope its the batteries or something else other than the pump. pump was 3300. plus 4 days expenses in a hotel in tenn. good luck.might also check the alt.
also if it has a gen. check the generator terminal connections if there loose or bad it will drain the batteries.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Depending on the engine, if batteries are poor, but the alternator is good, it will still effect the computer or in some cases throw a fault code because the ECM monitors the alternator discharge. If it senses there isn't a discharge, it codes that as a problem.

Again, depending on the engine, if it is a fuel problem and ECM shows no problem, run a pressure test on the fuel system. If there are any issues with the pump ect, it will show. Dyno test will catch alot of things, but may not detect a swollen hose that has a percentage of restriction within it.
Hope that helps.

Davekc
owner
21 years