Truck Backing Aid: Getting Your Marks

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I wrote the following deep in another thread. To give it status as a topic of its own, I am re-posting it here. I trust the Open Forum moderators will allow this duplicate post given its value to newbies. If not, I ask that the one buried deep be deleted and that this one be allowed to stand.

Truck Backing Aid: Getting Your Marks

The American Trucking Associations sponsors each year the National Truck Driving Championships. Part of the competition is precision truck driving. Contestants maneuver trucks through a course that tests the driver's ability to position the truck EXACTLY where it should be for a given task.

When Diane and I practiced with fellow competitors for the event, they showed us a technique called "getting your marks." You can do this on your own and it will come in handy every time you bump a dock.

To get your marks, park your truck in the open. Mark a line on the ground to show where your dock bumpers would be if the truck was then at a dock (that will be the line perpendicular to the truck, directly below the truck's dock bumpers).

You don't need to draw a line on the ground. Just place two markers (gloves, wood blocks, shoes, whatever) on the ground along that line. Place the markers just wide of the truck so you can see them in your mirrors when seated behind the wheel with the seat in your normal driving position.

When you look at one of the markers, you get your mark by imagining the straight sight line that goes from your mirror to the marker on the ground. If you follow that imaginary line along the side of your truck, the line will intersect with something that can be referenced when bumping a dock.

On our truck my left-side mark is one of the chicken lights. It is different for Diane because she sits shorter in the seat. When I am backing to a dock, that chicken light will line up with the base of the building just when the dock is bumped. When backing to a dock, I watch that light relative to the base of the building. As the distance closes, I know I am getting close.

This becomes an exact science on a competitive course where you are positioning the truck relative to clearly defined and consistent objects, and where less than an inch can be the difference between victory and defeat. It is not an exact science when backing up to real-world loading docks. Docks vary in size, shape, approach geometry, how far they extend from the building, etc. In the contest, close is for losers. In the real world, close is good enough.

Marks work in shopping mall parking lots too, like when I park the truck across a number of car parking spots and want to position the rear of the truck half-way into an open parking place behind us to keep a car from parking us in. I'll move the truck until my mark (that same chicken light) lines up with the center of the parking place. When the chicken light is there, I know that's where the back of the truck is too.

If you bowl, the same principle applies. Bowlers use the marks at the beginning of the lane to line up their shot. Don't look at the pins (loading dock bumpers), look at the lane marks (your truck marks) to guide the shot.

Get your marks elsewhere on the truck to know where your front bumper and the right side of the truck are. It is a stress-relieving technique, especially when you are driving on a narrow lane or uncomfortably close to jersey barriers or a bridge rail in a construction zone. It may feel like you are too close but your marks will tell you exactly where your truck is relative to objects around it.

Placing actual sight marks on the truck is prohibited in the contest but if no marks on your truck suggest themselves, try putting small marks (white dots, bits of masking tape) on your mirrors or side windows, and on the windshield to indicate where the front, sides and rear of your truck is relative to objects around it.

Another way to get your rear-of-truck marks would be to place pieces of tape on your mirrors when you are at a loading dock. Mark the spots where the base of the building appears in each mirror. Again, docks vary so do not commit to a permanent mark (dots of White-Out correction fluid work great) until you have gotten your marks at a few docks. Getting your marks in an open area is more precise since the marks are calibrated to the truck itself and not a dock.

(Cherri, your steering wheel tip for backing big rigs is great. Would you be so kind as to re-post it in this thread?)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
In addition to Phil's post, I want to add something that may help others too.

I used this to show people how to back up a truck and I used it when I was practicing with the 40 footer I borrowed.

I got five cones, borrowed them from somewhere :p (you can buy them cheap).

Took the truck to place where was either vacant or closed for the weekend that have docks.

Started by placing four cones almost twice the width of the truck in front of the dock (it is important to use an area with at least 7 spots open) with two at the front of the parking spot and two in the middle of the parking spot and the fifth as a marker for an object (make believe) like a trailer. I would start trying to get the truck to turn as close to the fifth cone (object) as possible while fitting into the space with the cones.

After a few successful tries, I would move the cones in so they are at the width of the truck and practice with the fifth one being placed out as an obstacle in the way so to work around it.

After a few successful tries, I parked the truck in the spot between the cones and move them within a foot of the truck to mimic tight parking. I would place the fifth cone at different locations as obstacles in the road way.

Each iteration was done for both a left side and blind side backing situation. Each time, the truck bumped the dock as if it was being used to pick up or deliver. ALSO every iteration was repeated with the doors shut and open.

The use of the cone is better than marking the pavement, marking doesn't give the 3d effect that sometimes is needed with depth perception in handling the truck.

Cones are also good for setting mirrors and to being familiar with the trucks boundaries, you running over a cone is better than running over a car. Using a line drawn on the surface does not offer a audible indication that you ran over it, cones make noise and bend so it helps.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I(Cherri, your steering wheel tip for backing big rigs is great. Would you be so kind as to re-post it in this thread?)

That is a good tip. An old friend of mine told me about it once. I never really had that problem, but it does make a lot of sense. Cherri's mention of it reminded me of "Jim".

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Phil,

I never got to thank you, actually I never got to absorb your tip but when I skimmed it, it gave me some valuable pointers. I've since improved, going through 3 trucks in one day and backing up to the dock 7-8 times, helped. Also realizing those yellow lines are there to guide you helped massively.

I wish someone pointed that out, something so simple. But you guys take the super basic stuff for granted, I don't blame you's, I do the same thing.

I'm really happy I entered expediting in a sprinter and now I'm getting to experience it in a ST, I see a totally different world, its like night and day. I could have benefitted from a week of learning on the road with someone else in a truck. I see the value in Swift, Werner etc... having their new CDL graduate be on the road for a month with trainers. I never got that experience.

I started on the road in a cv, then got thrown to the wolves, ok I'm exageratting again but I definately see a difference. I don't think I'd ever want to run a CV again though, unless I'm like 50 and don't care about money and just want to relax. Driving a ST is a lot more work but the difference in pay is worth it imo. Also the number of loads available for a ST make a difference compared to a CV.

It's opened up my eyes to a different side of the industry that you don't see in a van. Sorry for the hijack, I just wanted to hijack someone else's thread since Cheri's truck height hijacked my thread.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sorry for the hijack, I just wanted to hijack someone else's thread since Cheri's truck height hijacked my thread.

I'm sorry about the hijack too. Cheri hijacked a thread of yours so you hijack a thread of mine? If someone siphons fuel out of my truck, does that give me permission to siphon fuel from someone else?

Some topics are more useful and important to newbies than others. For their sake, I was hoping this thread could stay on topic for more than three posts.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sorry about the hijack too. Cheri hijacked a thread of yours so you hijack a thread of mine? If someone siphons fuel out of my truck, does that give me permission to siphon fuel from someone else?

Some topics are more useful and important to newbies than others. For their sake, I was hoping this thread could stay on topic for more than three posts.

If someone ever siphons fuel out of your truck, you have 100% of my permission to track me and and syphon fuel out of my truck.

But you claiming your topic was more important than mine is lol, why because you deemed it so? How many thread reads do you have? How many did mine have? Mine covered more issues than yours.

Just because you make more money than I do, doesn't mean your issues are more important than mine.

You failed to tell a newby to follow the most important rule of backing up to a ****ing dock, look at the BIG YELLOW LINES. Your advice sucked. Your advice should be in the advanced section, not in my newby neighborhood.

Alll of your posts are condensending, and I spelt condesending wrong because I am dumb, but I bet you will spell it right. But thanks for telling us noobs what is important, when you over look the most basic things because you do it without thinking.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you for the feedback. I did not realize before that you compare yourself to me and guage your status by that standard.

A moment ago, in this post, I stated Diane's and my on-time percentage in response to the number you shared. I am sorry to see you took that pesonally too.

I request that you take a moment to consider the possibility that such posts are not directed at you. They are made with newbie expediters in mind so they can see what approaches and options are available to them.

You talk about one method. I talk about another. I don't do it to contrast you against me. I do it to highlight the differences in methods so newbies can learn. It's not about you. It's about the methods.

About comparing ones self to others, there is a productive way to do it and an unproductive way. You are demonstrating the unproductive way by making it personal.

Diane and I compare ourselves to other expediters all the time but in a productive way. We look for expediters who are better than us, be that in terms of the money they make, the methods they use, the people they associate with, the connections they have, or any other category that advances them in their work and success.

When we find them, we do not look down on them as condenscending. We look up to them as people from whom we can learn. It bothers us not a bit that they are more successful or skilled than us. Their success humbles and reminds us that we don't know it all and inspires us to continue on a self-improvement path.

Our self-worth is not dependent on anything beyond what we say it is. We think it is fantastic that there are people out there who make more money than us and are better expediters than we are. They are our guiding light. They are the people who show it can be done. They are the ones from whom we seek to learn.

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for the feedback. I did not realize before that you compare yourself to me and guage your status by that standard.

A moment ago, in this post, I stated Diane's and my on-time percentage in response to the number you shared. I am sorry to see you took that pesonally too.

I request that you take a moment to consider the possibility that such posts are not directed at you. They are made with newbie expediters in mind so they can see what approaches and options are available to them.

You talk about one method. I talk about another. I don't do it to contrast you against me. I do it to highlight the differences in methods so newbies can learn. It's not about you. It's about the methods.

Phil

These are the types of posts that I can respect about you. I know you didn't mean any malice. You are probably the nicest guy on EO.

I don't sit here and compare myself to you, otherwise, I would have probably shot myself for not meeting some made up standard. I don't live my life like you, I don't care if I am late, if I **** up.

I do things for my happiness. I love my life, if that means ****ing off everyone I know, I do it, if it means, I kiss *** for a year, I will do it.

But I respect you, I know what your capable of. That is why I put you on a platter, thats why I made you the standard to follow, but that is why I also made you the standard that I never want to be.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
So how about you tell me why you hijacking my thread was more important, when you failed to point out the most important thing about backing into a dock in my thread, when I asked the very basic questions, why couldn't you tell me to back into those yellow lines?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So how about you tell me why you hijacking my thread was more important, when you failed to point out the most important thing about backing into a dock in my thread, when I asked the very basic questions, why couldn't you tell me to back into those yellow lines?

I did not tell you about the yellow lines because it never entered my mind to do so. Thinking about why it never entered my mind, it was because:

1. That level of advice is so basic that it ranks with advice to put your truck in reverse gear before backing to a dock. It was so obvious that it did not occur to me to mention it.

2. Not all loading docks have yellow lines. In fact, many do not.

3. I was writing about a particular technique (getting your marks). My comment was not about how to line up a truck at a loading dock, it was about getting your marks. Yellow lines did not enter my mind when writing that post because I was thinking about getting your marks.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A good tip that works is washing and waxing your vehicle. Realy it works no matter what your driving. BUT ONLY IF YOU PAY ATTENTION, AND DO IT CORRECTLY. This works especialy with newbees or when you drive a new car, truck, whatever. I learned this some twenty five years ago in drivers ed. I thought he just wanted a clean car but it works and anyone I train is subject to the buckett and the bonnet:

Here is how it works.......
While washing any vehicle pay attention to the locations of your "points." Your points being all the corners of your vehicle as well as roof lines, and low objects like frame rails, drive shafts, belly boxes, liftgates, etc. Pay attention to your axles, where they are placed, also all flat and hidden surfaces front, back, and sides. You will find all kinds of landmarks or reference points. You may need to do this a couple times to pick up on it but you will be more efficient and comfortable at backing, and working in tight places as well as dealing with "blind spots." you will know what your truck will and will not do.. Sorry, it probably won't do much abbout that four wheeler on your right side at your drives just to make you crazy as you cant get over for your exit, :D or the other morons out there but it will make your day easier if done right.
Besides, D.O.T. might be less likely to bother you if your truck looks good.

Last but not least rember G.O.A.L. Yes you may get wet, cold or other but, GET OUT AND LOOK!!!

Good luck and drive safe.
Bob Wolf
[email protected]

Last edited:

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
A good tip that works is washing and waxing your vehicle. Realy it works no matter what your driving.

I was truely waiting to read that they slide inbetween trailers in close quarters better..lol. This whole thread is full of very good info though, thanks gang.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

moose

Veteran Expediter
You guys have no idea how to bump a dock, do you.
the harder, and louder the bump - the quicker the forklift driver will come... :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I first started learning to back a straight truck I drove Bob nuts. When ever I pulled into a truck stop I headed for the back row and picked different parking spots and I backing into them from different angles and different directions. I did this over and over till I felt comfortable backing in beside another parked truck.

When I finally backed into a dock I had no problems as I knew how to position my truck and how to use the mirrors. The yellow lines if there are any sometimes are to the outside of the dock area and others are a guide to line you up perfect for the dock. Sometimes there are stripes on the dock pads that will help you to line up with and other times there is just metal projectiles to stab at the truck. Another guide to use is to watch the tire marks on the ground from others backing in.

The side benefit to all of this is I learned the length of our truck very quickly and that helped me to drive around tight corners with out having a curb shot. I also was able to maneuver easily in traffic and pass vehicles as I was used to using my mirrors.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil

These are the types of posts that I can respect about you. I know you didn't mean any malice. You are probably the nicest guy on EO.

Thank you, but there are nicer people on EO than me. I try, but some of those folks out-nice me by miles and when I let myself go in ways I should not, the standard they set leaves me feeling ashamed of myself.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When I first started learning to back a straight truck I drove Bob nuts. When ever I pulled into a truck stop I headed for the back row and picked different parking spots and I backing into them from different angles and different directions. I did this over and over till I felt comfortable backing in beside another parked truck.

You make a good point. PRACTICE!!!

Once when we were in Laredo, a Schneider driver in a big rig and I got to talking in the lot just after we delivered to adjacent docks. He was brand new and talked about how he had half the people at the truck stop furious with him the night before because he took so long to back his truck into a parking place, thereby blocking other traffic.

A vacant warehouse with numerous docks and a large lot was across the street. I pointed to it and suggested that he go there to practice. The tension in his face gave way to relief because it had never occurred to him that he could practice instead of learning the hard way in the heat of the moment.

It is not uncommon for seasoned expediters to feel uncomfortable backing a truck or driving one in tight places. Often, one team member will turn the wheel over to the other when uncomfortable circumstances are encountered. The advice for them is the same. PRACTICE!!!

Why be uncomfortable if you don't have to? Go find a safe place to practice and do what Linda did. Try, try and try again until you get good at it. When you do that, the discomfort will fade and self-confidence will take its place.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mac: I apologize for hijacking your thread - it wasn't intentional, and you're welcome to return the favor when I start a thread, ok?
The tip Phil asked me to repost is about backing a trailer that is connected to the power unit, not a S/T. It was hard for me at first, because you need to turn the steering wheel in the direction opposite the one the trailer should go, and the mental gymnastics of choosing the direction & reversing it just took too long - it was like translating something from another language to English. Until I switched the focus from the TOP of the steering wheel to the BOTTOM , and could then turn the wheel as usual: in the direction I wanted the trailer to go. [I put a dab of whiteout on the bottom center of the wheel, to keep track while turning it.]
Another tip for practice sessions in any size truck: a large [as in a mall] lot with some curved lines along the outside edges - practice keeping one tire dead on the curve while driving in reverse. It helps get familiar with exactly how much the wheel needs turned for the radius of each curve, and adds confidence when going backwards. :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It occurred to me that Mac [and others] would enjoy hearing about my first ever pickup as a solo in a T/T, when the dock was so far above my skill level that I had to pick my eyeballs up off the ground after I saw what I needed to do. Inside the building, the assigned dock was between the brick [building] wall and a support pole, with only a few inches to spare on either side. And it faced east: at 0700, the driver is blinded by the sun, until inside, when suddenly blinded by the darkness. Ok, just go very s l o w, right? Not possible: have to block the street while backing, and traffic is heavy with folks in a hurry to get to work.
I did the best I could, under the circumstances: after watching an experienced driver whip his trailer into a dock, I paid him $20 to back mine in, too.:D

And then I practiced every chance I got, cause that was embarrassing!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It occurred to me that Mac [and others] would enjoy hearing about my first ever pickup as a solo in a T/T, when the dock was so far above my skill level that I had to pick my eyeballs up off the ground after I saw what I needed to do. Inside the building, the assigned dock was between the brick [building] wall and a support pole, with only a few inches to spare on either side. And it faced east: at 0700, the driver is blinded by the sun, until inside, when suddenly blinded by the darkness. Ok, just go very s l o w, right? Not possible: have to block the street while backing, and traffic is heavy with folks in a hurry to get to work.
I did the best I could, under the circumstances: after watching an experienced driver whip his trailer into a dock, I paid him $20 to back mine in, too.:D

And then I practiced every chance I got, cause that was embarrassing!

Well paying someone worked out better than the first time my brother tried it on his own which resulted in him ripping the corner of the door off on the yellow metal frames they put on the sides. He then got to listen to the experienced drivers complain and ridicule him.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You guys have no idea how to bump a dock, do you.
the harder, and louder the bump - the quicker the forklift driver will come... :)

I'm thinkin if your CB reverses to PA broadcast, you could have a 5-10 second tape of crash sounds to play when being ignored at the dock. Then you sit there looking around when the forklift shows up, like you don't know where it came from, either, lol. ;)