Truck accident

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking for some opinions. A couple of days ago my truck was hit by another truck in a truckstop parking lot. Completely his fault, he was backing in NEXT to me, which turned out to be INTO me. I have over $6000 in damage to my truck. He had none. Insurance will cover the damage, but what about loss of income for the week of repair time. And the expenses of the downtime?
Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation?
This is my first accident in over 25 years of driving, I am wondering what to expect.
Thanks for any insights into the situation

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When this happened to me, I had to submit settlement sheets for I think it was 3 weeks, then the insurance company took a average and that's what they paid me.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm looking for some opinions. A couple of days ago my truck was hit by another truck in a truckstop parking lot. Completely his fault, he was backing in NEXT to me, which turned out to be INTO me. I have over $6000 in damage to my truck. He had none. Insurance will cover the damage, but what about loss of income for the week of repair time. And the expenses of the downtime?
Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation?
This is my first accident in over 25 years of driving, I am wondering what to expect.
Thanks for any insights into the situation

It is going to depend on what insurance coverage, and what state the accident took place. You are likely going to find out that the insurance, from the truck that hit you will pay minimal down time money. IF that accident took place in a "My fault", no fault, state like Michigan it complicates the issue.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did they also cover your expenses, I.e. motels, meals, etc, for the time you were without the truck? Of course, this happened out of state.
Im not looking for anything extra just my actual out of pocket costs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WE have been hit twice in parking lots. Once in MI, our home state, and once in NY state. Neither time required motels, since we were able to keep running until we could get the work done while home. Both times we only received a few hundred dollars per day we were down.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would have been nice to keep rolling, but without a passenger door, I wouldn't make it very far. At least no one was injured .

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would have been nice to keep rolling, but without a passenger door, I wouldn't make it very far. At least no one was injured .

Lacking a door could be a problem.

We got lucky. The first hit, in NY state, did a lot of damage to the fender/headlight area. We were able to get some fast, two hours, temp repairs done. Then, just a week later, a truck backed OUT of a fuel lane, as we were pulling into the lot. I stopped when the truck in front of me stopped, then the guy just backed into me. He hit the cargo box but it did not do enough damage to shut us down. We ran until our next planned off days and was able to be home while both repairs were done.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been hit before but didn't have any damage. I was rear ended at a stop light in Florida by a drunk driver. The ICC bumper took the hit and destroyed the pick up he was driving. All I had was a small green mark on the bumper, it was a green pick up truck. I got calls from lawyers for two months wanting to sue on my behalf. I just asked them "what is a 1 inch spot of green paint worth on a bumper that routinely bumps a dock?" They eventually stopped calling.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been hit before but didn't have any damage. I was rear ended at a stop light in Florida by a drunk driver. The ICC bumper took the hit and destroyed the pick up he was driving. All I had was a small green mark on the bumper, it was a green pick up truck. I got calls from lawyers for two months wanting to sue on my behalf. I just asked them "what is a 1 inch spot of green paint worth on a bumper that routinely bumps a dock?" They eventually stopped calling.

No lawyers have ever called us. We are lucky there.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for sharing your experiences, hopefully some reimbursement will be forthcoming

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Read your policy and talk to your insurance agent. As far as No Fault, that only applies to personal injury. Not property damage.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Read your policy and talk to your insurance agent. As far as No Fault, that only applies to personal injury. Not property damage.

Not so in Michigan. Every state is different. It also changed how I had to file for the accident in MI. It was done differently in NY.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was involved in an accident three years ago. Other driver rear ended me, knocked me off the road, and into a ditch. Rolled over and totaled my van.(No injuries, was wearing seatbelt) Insurance payed for the physical damage. I didn't receive anything for loss of 'down time'. I did receive $500 from the their insurance company because the other driver was 100 % percent at fault for the accident.
This is in Michigan. There is an additional payout of UP TO $500 depending on percentage one is at fault. Not sure if this law applies to your state or if it applies only to totaled vehicles. I guess check with insurance company about this.
It's called a mini tort claim: http://carinsurance.about.com/od/CarInsuranceClaims/ss/How-To-File-A-Mini-Tort-Claim.htm

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I was hit in 2002 while owning D unit leased to Landstar. Werner driver just took off the drivers side mirror. I was in the truck stop eating. He took off but a nice driver and his wife came and got me telling me what happened and also get his truck number and license number. Called Werner, they paid for it, also contacted their driver making him come back to face the music. I called Landstar to report it also (stupid move) and naturally they put it on my Dak report.

They paid for the damage, the driver swore up and down he didn't know it. Witnesses said he got out, looked at the damage then left. They fired the driver.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My understanding is that everything depends upon insurance coverage, and I have a question about that: if you are involved in an accident that is 100% the other driver's fault, and your insurance policy covers downtime [loss of income], but his doesn't, will you get any? :confused:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Roamin: I'm glad you're ok, just wondering why you asked in the Soapbox? Sure, it guarantees a bunch of opinions, but the one you really need is your insurance agent's. ;)

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri, this just happened early Friday morning. Spent most of Friday getting estimates. Tomorrow will be a phone day to get more questions answered. Couldn't get any answers over the weekend.
I was just looking for real experiences, since I've not had any accidents before now. At least none with any damages.