tri-state question

classadriver

Seasoned Expediter
I am set up fpr tei-state monday but just have a question about there rate.

from my understanding everything is supposed to be a $1.25 + fsc

what if I know shippers that pay better than that will they let you book your own loads and if so what kinda percentage do they keep?

also after reading about the 8 hour break if I turn down there load offer my question would be can I still book my own load during that 8 hour break?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if I could work for a carrier that makes you go stand in the corner for 8 hours if you turn down a load. That's pretty much a forced dispatch system it seems to me. Either take this bad load or be put out for 8 hours so today is ruined anyway.

classadriver

Seasoned Expediter
yes I have my concerns since I will be running team.
and they say to expect 2500 miles a week
I am wondering what we will do the 5 days a week.
that is why I asked about finding our own loads.I know panther will let you but I want to try these guys out

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
1:You can do it.
2:20-25%
3:Hopefully TriState will wake up and will change the forced dispach.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Several factors: the amount of the load pay, how long you've been sitting there before finding this load, who the customer is & how long tstate has to wait to get their $$$ from the customer, plus many more factors. It also can depend on who you deal with @ tstate. Personally, I'd go thru my CC to secure the load & negotiate the % that tstate would be taking out for their cut. Nothing is set in stone.

classadriver

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for the info everyone.

most of the shippers and brokers I deal with pay within 30 days
some offer quick pays and will pay via com-check once the load is delivered.

I guess my next question would be this. if I do get a load on my own thats approved by them tstate will I get a fuel advance just like a normal tstate load?

and what about payment for such loads do I get paid just like every other load they dispatch or do they make me wait untill they get paid?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Several factors: the amount of the load pay, how long you've been sitting there before finding this load, who the customer is & how long tstate has to wait to get their $$$ from the customer, plus many more factors. It also can depend on who you deal with @ tstate. Personally, I'd go thru my CC to secure the load & negotiate the % that tstate would be taking out for their cut. Nothing is set in stone.

If it is a load that has any value, by the time you get the answers to all those questions, the load is long gone.
Personally I wouldn't want to call anyone to "seek approval".

Lastly, if one is forced to wait eight hours if they refuse a load, that is "forced dispatched". Nothing else to call it, except maybe a bunch of foolish game playing. In a turbulent economy, who has the patience or time for something that ridiculous?
I would have gave it a few minutes and became their competition somewhere else.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
The 8 hour thing is when your dwell time will start up again. I turned down a short load 2 days ago and a few hours later I got a better load (after the snow got plowed in Wisconsin). Dwell time means nothing if you are the only truck around and they want to take care of our biggest customer.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Being the only truck within 200 miles has an effect at every company. What happens when you're in Chicago and there are several trucks around? Are you not then standing in the corner for 8 hours before you're allowed back onto the playground? That's how I heard it works.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
The 8 hour thing is when your dwell time will start up again. I turned down a short load 2 days ago and a few hours later I got a better load (after the snow got plowed in Wisconsin). Dwell time means nothing if you are the only truck around and they want to take care of our biggest customer.
So first tristate punish you but later if they need you because nobody elseisthere they call you...BS....The sad thing is that you like it.We call this FORCED DISPACH! Panther has a great thing:you take a short load,they give you first out position and you can take that firstout position in any board with you!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
All companies have warts!! The people at Tri-State obviously do not mind the warts and do the like the warts at the other companies. Putting someone on defensive as their company is being attracted is sure no way to discuss an issue.
There has to be a better way to ask the questions of drivers running for Tri-State then to just make them defensive and quit posting.
We are all at our companies because they are the best fit for US and what fits US does not always fit everyone else.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
All companies have warts!! The people at Tri-State obviously do not mind the warts and do the like the warts at the other companies. Putting someone on defensive as their company is being attracted is sure no way to discuss an issue.
There has to be a better way to ask the questions of drivers running for Tri-State then to just make them defensive and quit posting.
We are all at our companies because they are the best fit for US and what fits US does not always fit everyone else.
We mind...exactly this is the problem!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
So Zoli if you mind it might be time for you to look for another company to run for beside Tri-State.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder what happens if a driver on "time out" turns down a load because he'd rather stay on time out? Is it extended?

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Let me see if i can help with this.I run for tri-state and i have only been put on refussal maybe 3 times in a year.First thing is if the deadhead is more then 30% of loaded miles you can turn it down with NO penalty.2nd the refussal thing i think is in place to stop people who are picking and choosing there loads we have to remember that tri-state has a very large customer base and has contracts with customers to cover these loads no matter what well what do you do if this guy turns down a legit load because the fuel surcharge may only be 22cpm and he will only take stuff with 30cpm or more fs.Now if you are the only truck in the area then you can do this since if another load pops up they will call you because its all about making a buck.They wont shove you in the corner for time out and forget about you and punish you.I dont agree with panthers deal that if someone takes a short run they have option for first out.Thats bull crap if i have been sitting for 24 hrs and joe blow shows up after doing a short run he gets first outs...I dont think so.I guess thats why i dont run for them.IT should be first in first out no matter what.This keeps it fair.Some dispatchers will give you a refussal and some wont.Alot of people in this business only see whats in front of them in dollar amounts they dont look at the big picture.How many times have you taken a load with a not so great FS and then the next load has a really good fs it averages out.I have no problem with tri-states refussal deal or the first in first out but if a customer has special needs and i dont have them and the number 3 truck does then obviously they call him and not me.