TRANSIT WOES

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad it all worked out and you are back on the road. But wow, that's some expensive repair.

Hey while you're at it, don't forget to change the tire stem caps too, it's really cheap. Lol..:pokepoke:

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
So much for solving problem. All was OK until 250 miles into trip, then shudder returned. Not as noticeable as before. Now 500 miles in it is back same as it was before being "fixed"

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Take it back to the Mechanic. It was misdiagnosed
I read your info. Unfortunately nothing matches my symptoms, or the trucks.

I am now 1000 miles away from the dealer that did the work. Regardless, I an sure they will say that the work they did needed doing even if it didn't solve the problem, so back to zero.

I will try to be specific - driving along on the highway, both manual or cruise control, when cruisiing at highway speeds the RPM rides at just under 2000. When acceleration is required going up a hill, as soon as it hits 2000 RPM it "grumbles & shudders" at 2200 RPM back to smooth. On a flat road as it maintains speed and if it hits 2000 RPM the needle jumps "slightly on the tach then all settles down.

This has been an ongoing problem for 200000 miles. Early on a flush would make it go away for a while, then flushes had no affect. About 50,000 ago replaced torque converter and all was good. About 5000 miles ago it started again. Now broke and at a loss?

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So sorry to hear that, brother. All symptoms described, sounded like trans related problems. Hope the right solutions found soon.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where are you in Houston? Avoiding the worst of the weather?

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks buddy. Since I have some spare time here in Houston I went to a transmission shop and he is 99% sure it is Torque Converter (again).

Torque converter is difficult to diagnose and a replacement can cost the same as "a good used trans" or a rebuilt one.

If this was my situation, I'd look up and say a prayer...lol..

It's a tough decision to make, especially what if it's not a torque converter. Don't know the answer, but prayers sent to ya.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sitting in the recliner watching it rain. The water is about half way up the driveway. It was about 30 inches farther up yesterday. No sign of the rain stopping though. Some parts of the area have gotten about a year's worth of rain in 3 days.

Reactions: ntimevan and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saturday I turned down a load to Pasedena, TX. Later I tracked the load only to see it canceled.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an appointment with the Ford dealer in Ankeny, IA first thing in the morning. I was on my way to Denver but had to swap the load in Ankeny.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an appointment with the Ford dealer in Ankeny, IA first thing in the morning. I was on my way to Denver but had to swap the load in Ankeny.

What's going on Moot? Several of us have had throttle bodies go bad.
Its throwing a P2112 code which is throttle body problem. It occurs intermittently. I will be driving along and lose power, coast to the shoulder, shut it down, restart and away I go. Sometimes it will die almost immediately and at other times it will be fine for several hundred miles. Yesterday it happened twice shortly after leaving the shipper. I went for about 150 miles without a problem, then two more shut downs outside of Des Moines. I decided it was time to get it fixed.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its throwing a P2112 code which is throttle body problem. It occurs intermittently. I will be driving along and lose power, coast to the shoulder, shut it down, restart and away I go. Sometimes it will die almost immediately and at other times it will be fine for several hundred miles. Yesterday it happened twice shortly after leaving the shipper. I went for about 150 miles without a problem, then two more shut downs outside of Des Moines. I decided it was time to get it fixed.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

That's the exact symptoms mine had. Coast to a stop and restart. But it will keep getting worse until you can only go 15-20 miles before it shuts down.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Moot

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hi Moot, thanks for bringing this throttle problems up. This problems should be included in a regular maintenance schedule, especially for us high milers. Most of the time it's just a dirty or stuck throttle plate and it can be easily dealt with the DIY throttle spray. But yes, some of us may not want mess with and prefer the repair shop for a peice of mind. And that is ok.

For those who want to DIY, here's info:

P2112 OBD-II Trouble Code: Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed | YourMechanic Advice

Reactions: Moot and in-Transit