TRANSIT WOES

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seriously Mr. M, tell us about your experience. Year, mileage, any issues?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

Here ya go...Lol...

2012 Nissan NV 2500 fully loaded. Current mileage 533900, Bought used in 2014 for $16000 with114000 miles logged.

4.0 liters 6 cylinders, average mpg 16-19, average speed 60-70 mph.

So far....replaced 1 alternater, 1 starter, 2 vent fan, 2 AC compressors, 1 drop and fill trans fluids change, oil changed monthly(about 10-15000 miles), 1 washable air filter, 3 alignments, 2 set of spark plugs replacement, 1 head lamp bulb, 2 serpentine belts, 1 brake pads set and replaced probably around 20 tires ( I buy used tires....Lol....)

The cargo area can take 2 skids. with 1 skid you can have a bed in the cargo area. With 2 skid, no bed but you can sleep in the engine compartment since it is soooo big ( Lol...).

I bought what I need for my work.

I carried mostly large containers. some are skid size and some are less than a skid size. Up to 6 pieces and sometime required stacking. Total weight ranges from 150-1500 lbs. Average 800 lbs.

Learned from the EO forum, most loads are 1 skid equivalent. Therefore, based on my type of loads, I decided not to pick the larger cargo van. My Nissan will do the job.

Thank you very much for allowing me to include the discussion of the Nissan NV in this forum. I'm no longer hurting.....Lol....Lol....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Here ya go...Lol...

2012 Nissan NV 2500 fully loaded. Current mileage 533900, Bought used in 2014 for $16000 with114000 miles logged.

So far....replaced 1 alternater, 1 starter, 2 vent fan, 2 AC compressors, 1 drop and fill trans fluids change, oil changed monthly(about 10-15000 miles), 1 washable air filter, 3 alignments, 2 set of spark plugs replacement, 1 head lamp bulb, 2 serpentine belts, 1 brake pads set and replaced probably around 20 tires ( I buy used tires....Lol....)

The cargo area can take 2 skids. with 1 skid you can have a bed in the cargo area. With 2 skid, no bed but you can sleep in the engine compartment since it is soooo big ( Lol...).

I carried mostly large containers. some are skid size and some are less than a skid size. Up to 6 pieces and sometime required stacking. Total weight ranges from 150-1500 lbs. Average 800 lbs.

Learned from the EO forum, most loads are 1 skid equivalent. Therefore, based on my type of loads, I decided not to pick the larger cargo van. My Nissan will do the job.

Thank you very much for allowing me to include the discussion of the Nissan NV in this forum. I'm no longer hurting.....Lol....Lol....
See.... you are about 15% of your mileage

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Here ya go...Lol...

See.... you are about 15% of your mileage

Or 85%...Will see. Lol...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I can't complain, really. So far @ 275,000 I have spent only .018 CPM on major repairs and less than .05 CPM on TOTAL maintenance & repair. However I have no clue if that is good or bad.
So your total maintenance cost per mile is .05 CPM, correct? If so that is certainly a decent figure. My last Chevy maintenance cost was .033/mile for 820,000 miles. At 140,000 miles my 2015 Transit is running a hair over .02/mile but certain to climb.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just triple checked. All truck maintenance & repair, including tires, wipers, truck wash, fuel additive, etc. = .08 CPM.

Fuel = .13 CPM

Insurance = .07 CPM

So, it costs me almost .30 to operate my truck.

Of course, if I lived in Bison it would be under .25¢. if anything drives me out before my time, it will be NJ insurance rates

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I can't complain, really. So far @ 275,000 I have spent only .018 CPM on major repairs and less than .05 CPM on TOTAL maintenance & repair. However I have no clue if that is good or bad.
So your total maintenance cost per mile is .05 CPM, correct? If so that is certainly a decent figure. My last Chevy maintenance cost was .033/mile for 820,000 miles. At 140,000 miles my 2015 Transit is running a hair over .02/mile but certain to climb.
Thats what I said...even with the nag problems thrown into the equation...he has a decent %...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not a gearhead (although I an quite good looking) but I am at a loss trying to understand what is wrong with my T350

At 2000 RPM I feel a shudder that goes away when next shift point hits. My first thought was Torque Converter (again?) which was replaced less than 50,000 miles ago. Now at 275,000.

Mechanic sort of ruled that out, for now, BUT when put on the scope ALL cylinders are misfiring all the time. Note that I have replaced coil packs & plugs twice already, which I do at every 100,000 mile service. Mechanic is scratching his head.

Any thoughts?

Update please.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
OK, $700+ later good as new. Are you ready........... several clips that hook on coil packs we're broken causing intermittent spark, sending signal to TCM to tell transmission to back down under torque, such as accelerating at higher speed. When they told me I was skeptical, but that's what it was. $140 part + $640 labor. Ouch, but better than I feared

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, $700+ later good as new. Are you ready........... several clips that hook on coil packs we're broken causing intermittent spark, sending signal to TCM to tell transmission to back down under torque, such as accelerating at higher speed. When they told me I was skeptical, but that's what it was. $140 part + $640 labor. Ouch, but better than I feared

So that is a magnificent diagnosis and fix ! Gotta love the crazy ones! Sorry for your pocketbook but glad your happily rolling again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I broke one when I had to change a coil on the side of the interstate twice and all have been changed twice. I have them changed every 100,000. Will change them again at 300,000, in about 6 weeks. To answer your question, who knows when/ who broke them. They are a bugger to get off and they are plastic??

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you change out the coil packs and spark plugs every 100,000 miles? How often do you change the serpentine belt?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
there goes that learning curve twisting thru the wallet......LOL

now you know to look for broken clips...:)