Cargo Van Transit sleeper

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
FWIW, in my first van I slept on a double-height twin air mattress from Walmart. And had a sleeping bag on top. The double-height made it much easier to craw in and out of. I used a Coleman air pump to inflate it. It was insanely comfortable.

The only downside was that it had to be replaced about every 6 weeks ($30-$40) because it would pick up a splinter from the floor, or it would just get too weakened by the daily rigors of inflating and deflating, not to mention the herculean stress of me being on top of it.

But it was a great temporary solution until I got a new van and installed a permanent bunk.

I first tried a cot, a really nifty folding one from Coleman, with lightweight aluminum frame and legs. But the first time I sat on the edge of it one of the aluminum legs buckled. :arghh:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Scott, do you still use that Cabela's self inflating air mattress?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My Transit 350 has (2) bunk beds on aluminium Tubing frames. Wife has the upper bunk (pink sleeping bag) and I have the lower. If I get 3 skids my bunk folds up and out of the way. 6" deep shelving on each side and I can get a 52" wide auto parts basket in between. A desk/table that folds down and refrigerator and microwave can be moved to upper bunk in 30 seconds if I get a taller load. AC on the roof too with generator to power it FYI
9864d856bad0b2f34f682ac4aabdf7bf.jpg

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Transit 350 has (2) bunk beds on aluminium Tubing frames. Wife has the upper bunk (pink sleeping bag) and I have the lower. If I get 3 skids my bunk folds up and out of the way. 6" deep shelving on each side and I can get a 52" wide auto parts basket in between. A desk/table that folds down and refrigerator and microwave can be moved to upper bunk in 30 seconds if I get a taller load. AC on the roof too with generator to power it FYI

Did you build or buy the bunk frame? I was thinking of something similar but a shelf on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

How much load do you get carry with your van?

Sent from my SM-N910T using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Gentleman Expediter
Exactly! I may be but a lowly vanner but that doesn't make me a barbarian. Roller dogs, ramen, instant oatmeal, wiener water soup, all taste better when properly presented. When I took that photo my linen table cloth was being washed. Stubborn ketchup stain.

Why on earth do you have battery candles in your van ? I would surely think you have better sources of light? Or is it just the ambiance your going for ?
Of course I have a better source of light than two battery powered candles. Luminara - Real Flame-effect Candles I have a flashlight. The candles were left over from my celebration of the feast day of St. Blaise back in early February. I had a McDonalds Filet O Fish sandwich and didn't choke. Cross my candles and hope not to die.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly! I may be but a lowly vanner but that doesn't make me a barbarian. Roller dogs, ramen, instant oatmeal, wiener water soup, all taste better when properly presented. When I took that photo my linen table cloth was being washed. Stubborn ketchup stain.

Of course I have a better source of light than two battery powered candles. Luminara - Real Flame-effect Candles I have a flashlight. The candles were left over from my celebration of the feast day of St. Blaise back in early February. I had a McDonalds Filet O Fish sandwich and didn't choke. Cross my candles and hope not to die.
OK ... i was hoping you and Scott didn't SHARE a Candlelight Split Hotdog casserole dinner ...

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Reactions: ucfd608 and Moot

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Funny thing I actually thought of something above the freight
Like that but I'm so fat I'd need a crane to get in bed and a rescue trampoline to get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have thought of that too.. I was perusing some "rv / vandwelling" youtube channels.. saw a gent in a sprinter .. did much the same thing.. D-rings in the roof beams .. 4 cam lock cargo straps . sheet of plywood. He could fold it against driver side wall when load required. Even had a fold away shower :) JUst be clever :)