Tragedy on the race track.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Sad tragedy. ..Tony is a victim of circumstances. Internet keyboard tough guys are already saying he did it on purpose. ...I have always wondered why these guys do this small track stuff..there is so much $$ involved in Cup Racing..to take the risk ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
...I have always wondered why these guys do this small track stuff..there is so much $$ involved in Cup Racing..to take the risk ..

They do it for the love of racing and remembering their roots. I commend them for it.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The angle on the video isn't real good but it looks like Tony tried to swerve at the last second to avoid hitting that idiot. It's amazing the first car didn't hit him or get into a spin.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
They do it for the love of racing and remembering their roots. I commend them for it.

I get that...what I guess I meant is I'm surprised in there contracts there is not restrictions...other big $$ athletes...actors ..etc.. have clauses in there contracts because there is so much $$ involved. ..

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Authorities have asked that anyone who took a video of the event, to bring it to them. From the video it doesn't look like there were any people in that area of the track, to show the opposite side. It looks like Stewart sped up(for some reason) while being confronted.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tony Stewart is a professional. What happened was a tragic accident.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, he is a professional. So was the other driver. Tempers flare on the race track sometimes...and then they do reckless things. Most of the time when it happens,(squeezed off into a wall or bumped from behind and cause a spin out.)both drivers are protected inside their car.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes, he is a professional. So was the other driver. Tempers flare on the race track sometimes...and then they do reckless things. Most of the time when it happens,(squeezed off into a wall or bumped from behind and cause a spin out.)both drivers are protected inside their car.

Stewart is a pro with many years of experience, and I don't believe he did anything reckless. The victim did something unexpected, if not reckless. It is terrible that it cost his life, but a racetrack is no place for pedestrians - what he wanted to say could have waited until after the race, IMO.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Tragic indeed. He should have known better to exit his vehicle and walk onto the racetrack. Senseless on so many levels.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Having watched the video it appears the other driver, wearing all black on a dirt track at night, ran down in front of the 45 car who slowed drastically and Stewart swerved to not run the 45 car over. These sprint cars only have an in and out box, no clutch, and at idle they are doing about 30 mph to stay running. Even if an additional video appears with a different view angle, the other driver shares culpability. Unfortunately emotions often exceed common sense.
Scott

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get that...what I guess I meant is I'm surprised in there contracts there is not restrictions...other big $$ athletes...actors ..etc.. have clauses in there contracts because there is so much $$ involved. ..

I think stewert is part owner of the team he is signing a contract with himself. He is a pure racer and still climbs in sprint cars, go carts and about anything else you race. He owns a track in Indiana I believe it's a dirt track.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stewart is a pro with many years of experience, and I don't believe he did anything reckless. The victim did something unexpected, if not reckless. It is terrible that it cost his life, but a racetrack is no place for pedestrians - what he wanted to say could have waited until after the race, IMO.
Just because someone has been a professional for many years doesn't excuse an occasional act of recklessness. Yes, the driver that got killed was reckless for exiting his vehicle and walking on the track. IMO Stewart was also reckless for speeding up his vehicle upon being confronted. It is highly unlikely he was trying to kill him, but I do think he was trying to 'spray him' or throttle up so he could fish tail the vehicle. Maybe try to bump him or at least scare him. That's being reckless. Watch the video again listen to his vehicle get louder upon impact. He hit the gas instead of slowing down.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having watched the video it appears the other driver, wearing all black on a dirt track at night, ran down in front of the 45 car who slowed drastically and Stewart swerved to not run the 45 car over. These sprint cars only have an in and out box, no clutch, and at idle they are doing about 30 mph to stay running. Even if an additional video appears with a different view angle, the other driver shares culpability. Unfortunately emotions often exceed common sense.
Scott

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Curious if there might be some radio communications during the incident, that they're investigating.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just because someone has been a professional for many years doesn't excuse an occasional act of recklessness. Yes, the driver that got killed was reckless for exiting his vehicle and walking on the track. IMO Stewart was also reckless for speeding up his vehicle upon being confronted. It is highly unlikely he was trying to kill him, but I do think he was trying to 'spray him' or throttle up so he could fish tail the vehicle. Maybe try to bump him or at least scare him. That's being reckless. Watch the video again listen to his vehicle get louder upon impact. He hit the gas instead of slowing down.

I don't know if Stewart hit the gas instead of slowing down, but if he did, it may have been his option for evading the guy on foot - one doesn't always avoid a collision by slowing down.
In any case, I cannot believe that Stewart deliberately "bumped" or tried to "scare" the guy, that's just nuts.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if Stewart hit the gas instead of slowing down, but if he did, it may have been his option for evading the guy on foot - one doesn't always avoid a collision by slowing down.
In any case, I cannot believe that Stewart deliberately "bumped" or tried to "scare" the guy, that's just nuts.
It's definitely plausible. It's basically road rage on a race track. It only takes a second to snap and do something stupid, out of anger. On a race track it usually ends in a wreck or a spin out. This just happened be a case where one of the drivers was out of his vehicle. Check out this video of Stewart and Matt Kenseth. At the very end of the video, listen to the comment Stewart made about him.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwc8obMmv7o

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's what I was thinking. Hard to believe he would "play around" like that. It's one thing to spin a car around. It's another altogether to try and bump someone standing there in the track. He's not that stupid. We may never know what happened. My guess is Ward probably slipped. Was awfully dark he was wearing a dark race suit. Track had some banking to it where he was at on a damp clay surface. I've seen drivers get out and shake their fist or throw a bird but this guy really stuck his neck out there running to the middle of the track like that. Lot of unfortunate circumstances.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I think stewert is part owner of the team he is signing a contract with himself. He is a pure racer and still climbs in sprint cars, go carts and about anything else you race. He owns a track in Indiana I believe it's a dirt track.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Trust me..I am very familiar with Tony Stewart's credentials....been a huge fan of his from day 1...my point was not so much him ..but all the other drivers..and there contracts...I'm sure you will see some changes come down.