truckwife

Expert Expediter
RE: Top 5 things to make money with any carrier

Free You will have a hard time getting others on this site to
agree here. You know Fedex monitors this site. Those that
have replied will tell you to be in the right place at the
right time. May be difficult if these are preplaned on loads
before you get there. Like they said its really not critical

freight anymore and dispatchers can make sure your appointments fit their agenda to get their star drivers dispatched.
We are a husband and wife team that were with Fed for 3 years. The
first year and half was really good but went downhill after that.
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and move on. We still have many
friends (drivers) with Fedex and want them to do well. As of now we
are happy here at Landstar. We enjoy being treated as adults and with
mutual respect. Theres good and bad in all companies. Wish you the best and safe roads ahead.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Trucker wife,
Are you suggesting that FedEx bases the offers they make on the positive posts that FedEx contractors make?

Also, I don't think Fail to Free can make it at Landstar. ;)

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter

Towards the end of my tenure with FEDEXCC I recieved a number of phone calls from an individual at FEDEXCC regarding my posts on this site.They were general in nature but specific to the over all perception of the need to stay positive during difficult times.
It was specific to run counts which I posted on this site from time to time.I was never threatened,but was gently coaxed to tone it down regarding specific information not for public consumption.

I think these days there is a greater need for all companies to be very cautious about who's handling VIP account loads that are high paying.Customer service,the appropriate looking truck,and spit and polish teams are more important these days then ever before.
The second and third tier owners and drivers will be shaken out.

fastrod

Expert Expediter

>Trucker wife,
>Are you suggesting that FedEx bases the offers they make on
>the positive posts that FedEx contractors make?

I believe that is exactly what she is saying and I think she is right.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

fastrod

How much time have you spent in Green sitting with dispatchers and contract coordinators dispatching? From what we have been told over and over call your Contract Coordinator or Contractor Relations and make an appointment to sit with a dispatcher you are more then welcome.
We have sat numerous times with them and believe me they could care less and do not have the time to even think about who posts on EO and how they post. The computer generates who is selected to be dispatched on a load and I do not believe anyone has taken the time to program the computer to care about how we post here.

All companies watch EO and if you are going to post an un truth I imagine someone will call you and say something. If you post you are unsure of something going on with your company they often will call you so you get the correct information from the horses mouth.

Any company that does not watch this site would have their head in the sand. Any company that gave preference to people that like their job and post that way would soon go out of business.

If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time you are not going to get load offers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Interesting

I think that companies should not be monitoring any website to seek out any information being talked about except when trade secrets are posted.

To put this burden on the people who post stifles any open exchange of ideas and solutions.

No one calls a contractor up because of a post and if they do, it shows me that the company has too much time on their hands and needs to look for work for the contractors.

Reactions: 1 person

fastrod

Expert Expediter

>fastrod
>
>How much time have you spent in Green sitting with
>dispatchers and contract coordinators dispatching?

Well considering I have my own authority and run completely for myself I do not think fedex would want me setting with there dispatchers while there are dispatching.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter

>>fastrod
>>
>>How much time have you spent in Green sitting with
>>dispatchers and contract coordinators dispatching?
>
> Well considering I have my own authority and run completely
>for myself I do not think fedex would want me setting with
>there dispatchers while there are dispatching.

OUCH!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Then why would you post on how FedEx Custom Critical dispatchs loads?

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I am still trying to figure out what sitting with a dispatcher has to do with it.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter

So in other words, I have to have a $200,000 truck, wear my uniforms,
take every load offered, stay out here most of the time before I
can get a load that pays over $1.25 per mile?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Sitting with dispatch let you see how busy they are and how much pressure there is and how little time they have to worry about who posts what and who says what. It debunks the "teacher's pet" idea that some have.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I wouldn't mind wearing the uniforms. I always thought the FedEx uniforms were kinda sharp. I mean for work uniforms. I don't believe I'd be wearing them to church, but I'd sport a FDCC shirt around the truckstop. Heck I'd wear one to school if I had one. Different shades of blue are the only colors I see well, so I always feel like a stud in a dark blue shirt, and those have light blue writing on them to don't they? I'd feel like a mack daddy, and I'm being serious.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

"Sitting with dispatch let you see how busy they are and how much pressure there is and how little time they have to worry about who posts what and who says what. It debunks the "teacher's pet" idea that some have."

Sorry Leo no disrespect but you got to be joking.

I have seen these guys in action and from my point of view they lead a rather easy life, especially when there are other dispatching jobs that are truly high pressure, one was what I did and the other is police dispatching. Sure there is pressure to preform but they are not commission driven nor are they dependent on meeting a quota, so where does this pressure supposedly come from?

I find that outside of an accident, they don't have to pressure to find solutions for customers, but many make it look sooooo hard because they don't have the experience behind them that they need to get things done and/or the department is structured in a way that they have too much to do.

I think that many who complain about not getting runs because they p*ssed off a dispatcher illustrates the point that they do have time on their hands to do more than dispatch. As for Panther, if their system had more equality in it and not micromanaged (observation by the comments made about moving you vehicle and losing your position on the board), the people who work in the department would have more time to do their jobs and not make it look so hard.

This is freight, not organs for transplant patients.

As for monitoring, it is NOT the dispatchers I am speaking about.

Ark, the uniforms that FedEx has are nice.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I don't like the uniforms, black looks too hot and I don't wear any shade of purple.

Greg I agree with ya aome dispatchers don't really know how to dispatch...too much computer, not enough common sense. The ole button board works with me!*L* In the good ole days a couple guys could move around a couple hundred trucks a day and it was all in there minds. The info that is, they knew where and what every truck was and where.

Now adayd if a truck gets held up ya got dispatch, customer service that whack calling ya and they are making it an all day issue. And this they call busy?

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
RE: Top 5 things you can do to make money with FED

I always thought of putting beds in the temp control boxes and renting them out to van drivers so they wouldn't have ice on the when they wake up

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

>I always thought of putting beds in the temp control boxes
>and renting them out to van drivers so they wouldn't have
>ice on the when they wake up

Yup they are called outhouses and I could rent the basement out to C and D drivers.

some say ban the van
I say ..ya gotta
Hate the straight!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Yes dispatchers do have down time as with any job but they also have many projects and pet peeves that they are working on for drivers. When you sit with a dispatcher and see all of the questions they get asked I am amazed. We have sat through a driver picking up a load and he decided he was over weight and didn't know where a scale was and was afraid to move. He expected and demanded the dispatcher find him a place to scale the load. We listened to a guy in Canada wanting every single cent of the load offer broke down on how the load was paying. They he accepts the load and wants the exact address on the phone of where the load picks up and delivers he gets through all of this and says oh by the way I do not have any PAPS Stickers to get into the USA but I ordered some and YOU never sent them. So while she is trying to find a place for him to get stickers she looks up what he has ordered in the last six months and he had not ordered any stickers. She tells him this and he say whoops I must have just meant to do that. They do not just dispatch they have to baby-sit and yes it is in what they have to do. Drivers call with the darndest questions that you can find out on the VRU but they want to be told in person not by a computer. The list goes on and on and on of a day in the life of a dispatcher.

So once again I say go sit with a few of the dispatchers walk in their shoes. You might have a better way or idea of doing their job but we are not their bosses so we have to accept that they do things the way they are told to do them. No way would I change places with those guys and I stand behind the dispatchers we have sat with they don't have time to single out a driver and give them that great load or give them that crappy load. You get what the computer brings you up for like it or not.