tomorrow

dpea9

Expert Expediter
tomorrow should be interesting. i have a 11am delivery in downtown chicago tomorrow in a d-unit. i have never been to chicago. :+ :+ :+

scottanhelen

Seasoned Expediter
good luck you need to map out all the streets for trk route and look out for low clearances if you do all of those things you should be just fine

:7 ;-)

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hi don't sweat it because it's not to bad,Just watch the clearances on the bridges.I've been there 70-80 times in a "DR" and "E" unit with no problem ever,Just take it slow and watch the signs for clearance and you'll be fine...GOOD LUCK TOMORROW...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been to purgatory in a d unit before.. tore those pages out of the atlas so now I don't have to go to purgatory anymore.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Watch out for lower Wacker.

That sounds painful. An upper wacker doesn't sound to good either.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Leo, purgatory as you call it is not that bad.as a matter of fact if given a choice of Detroit,Atlanta, or Chicago.Chicago would win every time. the reason would be the quality of loads and the numerous amount of freight that comes out of there. in my opinion there is not a better place to be on a Friday for a weekend load..here are somethings that in my opinion might help make your trip in and out of Chicago less stressful. call the shipper or cons and get directions from them. more than likely they are aware of low overpasses.make sure you have something to eat and drink with you.then do your best at explaining to them that you are out of hours even if your not and is there any way you can take your 10 hour break at there facility or ask them where there would be a vacant warehouse you could park.this always made a huge differance to me as it keeps you from having to fight the traffic and paying more tolls relocating to a truck stop.it also puts you closer to your next load. I have never had to sit there long and most of the time I have a load before my hours are back. my last tip would be some times you have to use the 3 blink rule. 3 blinks of the turn signal and your moving over. they do drive about as crazy there as any where. hope this helps and be safe...

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
Probably too late but give yourself plenty of time to get through Chicago. Traffic has a bad habit of slowing to a crawl or worse on the highways.

I took an expedite load from O'hare once. After that I learned my lesson. 2-1/2 hours (in the airport) just to pick up the load.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
OPH! I gotta agree with leo! Purgatory with a capitol P. Toll's every two feet, traffic backed up to infinity and beyond, low bridges and crazy oneway dead end street's.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Leo yer a whimp!! Whatca gonna do when it gits tuff somewhere? Where is the encouragement, education for these folks? If, ya actually been there, tell em how to do it, or, not how to do it.

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Well i made it. :+ i think it did me some good. as my heart rate was up considerably for 6hrs. :+ :+

nighttrain

Seasoned Expediter
yeah learned my lesson on that wacker drive had a delivery to a new panera bread they were building across from sears tower in chicago
did a mapquest to get an idea of where the address was got there a day early so i went to the site to see where it was followed the directions came around on wacker and 10 foot bridge but just went down the street 2 blocks and found it

good luck have fun and the traffic can get backed up because of all the wonderful construction
but it seemed like its not as bad as it was last year when i was teaming in a fed ex cc "c' truck it was just slow going

hopes everyone has a safe runs and have a wonderful 4th of july

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
Yup, gotta love Chi-town. I left South Beloit, Il. this afternoon at 1pm and finally got to the Indiana border at 7pm. I ran straight through, and even used the I pass on the open road tolling. 6 hrs to go 120 miles. NICE!!!! Delivered to South Bend, headed back toward Chicago, stopped at rest area for night, and got to get back in by 9:30 a.m. or so. Then I'm going to my other favorite place. NEW YORK!
I am sooooooo not looking forward to it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
> 6 hrs to go 120 miles. NICE!!!!
>

Doesn't take a wimp or a genius to figure out there are better uses of time than that, just the ability to read a clock. One of my best friends loves the place and that's fine for him and anyone else that so chooses. I choose otherwise. I would rather see 320 paid miles, or more, on my odometer after 6 hours so I run elsewhere. In the 3.5 hours wasted in purgatory during that 120 miles I can either get another 200 miles of pay in my bank account or another 3.5 hours into my sleeping/ham radio/movie/reading/etc. account. It's all about how/where/when one chooses to run and that is different for everyone. It has nothing to do with being a wimp or anything else.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
We've been there done that one...All the way to the end of Broadway, almost to Battery Park...then all the way back up...##### taxis veered in front of me while trying to turn left and I couldn't make the turn...I ended up driving through Central Park. Those joggers acted like they've never seen a D unit truck! crazy NY'ers!!!

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

When I have to go from South Beliot to IN line I take I39 south to I88 east to hwy47 south to hwy30 east to I65 north back to I80 it sounds like a pain but it is actually pretty easy.No tolls and alot less idiots to cut in front of me and then slam on their brakes.

One of these days some polition is going to get smart and finish 176 or turn rt 30 into a four lane all the way thru.Its stupid to make everybody go thru Chicago.

brownie4042

Seasoned Expediter
Dan: For the last year and half, first on part time basis, full time for the last year 5 to 6 days a week I have been a "local" running Chicago with maybe 2 trips a month that let get out more then 150 miles. The old joke about Chicago is there are only two seasons, winter and construction. If you are not good with traffic, Chicago will test your willpower to be in this business. I do fairly good as far as income goes avg. $1300/wk,$200 wk fuel, no other over the road costs, or not having to outfit the van to live in, and sleep in my own bed 98% of the time because I turn down nothing. Case in point I took a late 5 PM run right into the heart of known bad traffic situation and got a $500.00 Clevland run out of it since no one else was in position. It could be a short daily bank deposit run that pays as little as $8.00,(Yes that is 8 small dollars!!!!) or delivering 20,000 Bulls towels to the United Center working 3 hours on a Sunday and making $250.00. The "loop" is always the biggest test as a driver, I run a tall 07' 144" Sprinter, which thank god does not cause any bridge problems, but can give you some problems with "loop" docks and parking. Are you aware of the fact that there are actually 3 levels to the "loop"? There is a little known service level (3 levels down) which is a ":censoredsign:" to find the first time for East Randolph, Water St., a very small portion of Wacker and some mis. minor streets. Good luck on your trip, and welcome to Chicago, hope you can enjoy some sights, and try some of the great food.

Brownie

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
a third level?

is that just above the old freight tunnels that flooded about 10 years ago? off odf east randolph, eh? gotta go looking for it in the car next time i go see mom.

Jack Berry