Today sucked

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Made our pick up early and headed out. Got a bit up the road and the truck started to shimmy like Little Eva in the side show!!

Limped it into the TA in Duncan, SC. Bearings OK, tires, OK, wheel balancers, OK. Drive train, OK. Had them break down the steers, balance and rotate them. Changed the front shocks. Turned out to be a blown right front shock.

Did ANOTHER walk around while they were working, found a bolt in the tread of my right rear outside drive. Had to have that fixed.

Killed a lot of time and money, what fun!! :(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good thing you caught it, could have been a lot worse and a lot more expensive!

Yeah, I know that. Could ate the steers with a shimmy that bad. My timing just sucks. My plan was to change all the shocks in about two weeks. So much for planed maintanence, eh?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sucks but at least it wasn't something a lot worse. Stay safe.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sucks but at least it wasn't something a lot worse. Stay safe.

Yeah, I did get lucky, sort of. Still planning on changing the rear shocks when I get home. I always feel like I pay too much when out here.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I don't even get excited anymore when stuff like this happens. It's going to happen, it will happen... just got to ride it out!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't even get excited anymore when stuff like this happens. It's going to happen, it will happen... just got to ride it out!

You are right, I should not let it bother me. It really was not too bad, could have been a LOT worse. I just wish I could get it right. I had planned on new hoses for the sleeper and APU in December last year and they blew, on the road, in Oct. Maybe I should not put my plans in writing then the truck would not know and blow them for me!! :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

You are right, I should not let it bother me. It really was not too bad, could have been a LOT worse. I just wish I could get it right. I had planned on new hoses for the sleeper and APU in December last year and they blew, on the road, in Oct. Maybe I should not put my plans in writing then the truck would not know and blow them for me!! :p

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thats too bad Joe...I am with you Vinnie..last yr when the trans went out in Fla..after they figured out what was needed and total me the cost, I told the guy i was gettin in the van and goin to bed,they had an old "drive on" hoist so there was no chance of the van falling, wake me when it is done.....:rolleyes:

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I just wish I could get it right.

You did get it right, you had money in your account to cover the repairs

I should not put my plans in writing then the truck would not know and blow them for me!! :p

It's good to have plans and ideas, but it's good to know too you have to expect the unexpected in this racket. How we are defined in this industry is how we perform under pressure and how we handle the challenges that come our way....It's truckin!

:)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I've got air ride on all my axles,including steers.I probably shouldn't say this,my truck has over 980000 miles,on the original shocks.No shimmy,and I'm still get over 200000 miles on my steer tires.I have replaced shocks on the sleeper a couple times,and a couple air bags,but unless I see fluid seeping from the shocks,I don't replace them.I kjnow ,they should be replaced evry year,I just never have in the 30 years of being an owner opp.BUt I feel for you,as My last trip,I went thru ! gallon of anti freeze every 60 miles.Thought it was head gasket or maybe cracked head.We got the oil sample back,passed with flying colors,turned out to be the water cooler for the EGR system.Part finally came in yesturday,truck should be done today,unless they find something else,with 980000 miles,who knows.I never had a truck go million miles,I'm not buying any more trucks,My social security doesn't pay enough to make a new truck payment,and repairs are still cheaper than a 2000 dollar a month truck payment.yes you do loose on the down time,but this is in most cases the slow time of year,so not working doesnt matter,Ill still gross my 200000 bucks this year,grossed $210000 in 2010,not bad for only 262 days of being service.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

A written business plan is a good thing to have and it should include a section about reacting to unexpected breakdowns. You never know what the unexpected event might be. That's why it is called unexpected. But you do know that unexpected events will happen and you can indeed plan for the unexpected.

The better prepared you are for unexpected events, the less their negative impact will be.

Shock absorber and tire issues are no big deal, especially when you are able to get in without a tow and get out the same day. Bigger issues like a major accident or an illness or injury that renders you or your co-driver unable to drive can shake you up in ways other than financial.

You can plan ahead for that too. Calling trusted friends for advice when you are upset by a major unexpected event will help you think things through and make better decisions than you might otherwise make.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A written business plan is a good thing to have and it should include a section about reacting to unexpected breakdowns. You never know what the unexpected event might be. That's why it is called unexpected. But you do know that unexpected events will happen and you can indeed plan for the unexpected.

The better prepared you are for unexpected events, the less their negative impact will be.

Shock absorber and tire issues are no big deal, especially when you are able to get in without a tow and get out the same day. Bigger issues like a major accident or an illness or injury that renders you or your co-driver unable to drive can shake you up in ways other than financial.

You can plan ahead for that too. Calling trusted friends for advice when you are upset by a major unexpected event will help you think things through and make better decisions than you might otherwise make.

We are ready for these things, I just don't like them. It would be SO nice for the truck to go along with the replacement plans, just for once!! I am NOT putting down when the replacement date is for the tires!!! LOL!! I want to do that by MY rules!! :p
Trusted friends are a valued source to be sure.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't agree with you Phil, the business plan is not the place for a continuity plan. Two different things altogether.

The continuity plan is like the emergency sheet I wrote about a few times, but expanded to include the what ifs and how to's and it is changed to fit your changing needs.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Made our pick up early and headed out. Got a bit up the road and the truck started to shimmy like Little Eva in the side show!!

Limped it into the TA in Duncan, SC. Bearings OK, tires, OK, wheel balancers, OK. Drive train, OK. Had them break down the steers, balance and rotate them. Changed the front shocks. Turned out to be a blown right front shock.

Did ANOTHER walk around while they were working, found a bolt in the tread of my right rear outside drive. Had to have that fixed.

Killed a lot of time and money, what fun!! :(

Yeh good thing you were in Duncan, and not on hwy 90 between El Paso and Del Rio.:D

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
We are in the transportation business,and if you don't know what Murphy's law is,then you are a very lucky person.No matter how you plan for something to go wrong,you never seem to plan for what will happen next.For example,month of Jan,new Radiator,$4000 then bad water leak that thought was either a head gasket or head,which would have turned into a rebuild of the motor for over 14000 bucks,but turned out the water cooler for the EGR was cracked,1100 bucks for the part and 6 hrs labor.Month of Jan is costing more than I will make,wish it happened in DEC.could have helped on last years expenses

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
We are in the transportation business,and if you don't know what Murphy's law is,then you are a very lucky person.No matter how you plan for something to go wrong,you never seem to plan for what will happen next.For example,month of Jan,new Radiator,$4000 then bad water leak that thought was either a head gasket or head,which would have turned into a rebuild of the motor for over 14000 bucks,but turned out the water cooler for the EGR was cracked,1100 bucks for the part and 6 hrs labor.Month of Jan is costing more than I will make,wish it happened in DEC.could have helped on last years expenses

somedays the dragon wins, been there .