Today News

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Gov. Jennifer Granholm has signed a bill that will raise speed limits for large trucks on some highways from 55 miles per hour to 60 mph.

The law affects highway zones where the maximum speed limit is 70 mph for other vehicles. The new speed limit takes effect in nine months. Granholm signed the bill Thursday; her office announced the signing Friday.

The legislation applies to trucks that weigh 10,000 pounds or more, truck-tractors and truck-tractors with trailers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it was 65mph in 9 days that would be a pretty good change. What they did is better than nothing but it's pretty small and why in the world does it take 9 months to go into effect?!

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
It won't go into effect for 9 months so that our
Esteemed Governor Queen Jennifer (it's not your money,its mine)
Granholm,can still milk the truckers out of every last penny
that she can get.x( x( x( x( x( x( x(

Mike
Whitewolf 53
HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
She probably figgures it'll take them takes three to turn the nut and takes three to hold the bolt state workers to change them signs on them two or five roads they're gong to change the limit on.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know this ‘person’ can help all of us by just signing an Executive Order to put it into effect today, simple stroke of her pen – but she won’t as she does not care for the people of the state. I am glad I did not vote for her, no guilty feelings.

I find it sad all the money that was spent on the super bowl (wasted money), the press has again ignores Detroit except for the killings and focused on Pittsburg – go Pittsburg (the city not the team). I just read “Pittsburgh Gets Boost From Super Bowl Win†– AP and how Pittsburg is benefiting from the win. Wow you can’t ask for more.

Hey Jennifer why don’t you lower taxes to make the state more business friendly, start forcing Detroit to clean up its city and make the state into a tourist center again – opps I forgot, you would rather buy laptops for kids instead.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Hey Guys

Gov. Jennifer Granholm is more than likely making a deal with Japan to make the signs even as I write this.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Spent last Monday and Tuesday, 2/6/06 and 2/7/06, doing a grand tour of the Wolverine. On Monday I counted a total of 23 vehicles stopped by MI state troopers. An astounding 22 of these vehicles were Tractor/Trailers. That should tell anyone that trucks are an extremely large source of revenue for the state.
It's my personal and professional opinion that a 15mph speed differential between trucks and other vehicles is totally unsafe and is a hazard within itself. For instance: I'm running 55 mph and get into the left lane to pass one of the numerous axel trucks, which are plentiful in MI. He may be doing say 50 to 52 mph.Although nothing was even close to approaching from the rear when I moved into the passing lane,now, all of a sudden, I got 20 or so irrate 4 wheelers chompin at the bits all backed up behind me by the time I safely complete my pass and return to the right lane.
I did a simple test. On a strip of I94, I got my truck up to 72 mph. Guess what? cars still passed me like I was sittin' still.
Lawmakers not only in MI, but OH and IL need to GET A LIFE!---OR maybe all be boycotted for a couple of days. Perhaps when the grocery store shelves got empty the lawmakers would hurriedly re-think speed limits.

Pappy
35 years OTR T/T;) ;) ;)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
This got me thinking. What's in 9 months from February???

Is there an election this year? Strange how it won't go into effect til November... ie, after election time.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
WOW 72 in a 55 that my friend is a 4 point ticket, not wise to just TEST the waters to see how other drivers are going to react were you suprised by the impatiant drivers?

I agree with what you comment on its stupid really ignorant of any lawmaker to think that large vehicles are safer at 55 when the rest of traffic is doing 79, 80, or more but you do not need to jeoperdize your way of living to prove a point that we all already know.

Michigan sucks and so does Ill. drive there and hate it, but respect the law as to keep doing what you do for a living.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Never trust a lawyer (Grandholm) who worked for a corrupt politician (McNamara).

In my opinion she is not even worthy of the title Madame Governor.

For that matter never trust any lawyer who worked for any politician.

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
No doubt about..Split speed limits are revenue generators....They certainly do not enhance safety...

I put quite a few miles on in Michigan, and its very,very rare you see a big truck abiding by the split speed limits......

Their obvious dedication to their dispatchers, must be worth the extra monies they pay in fines........

Any observant politician looking for extra tax revenue, know's what an easy mark we all are, why should it not be exploited????

It's a pity that drivers don't run compliant...Too Bad.....But I guess, then they wouldn't be able to whine..................

God Bless America