To Whom Am I Leased?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have black cats on my van but an not sure of the official name of the company.

The company provided delivery receipts have two black cats that bracket the words PANTHER II, underneath is TRANSPORTATION, INC.

The door signs have the two cats that bracket the word PANTHER and no mention of the II. Underneath are the words EXPEDITED SERVICES.

On-line the company is often refered to as Panther ii. Is this because of a failure to use the shift key to produce uppercase i's for Roman numerials?

Also they seem to be located in two different cities in Ohio.

Does anyone know the correct name and Standard Carrier Alph Code (SCAC) for this company.

I have asked dispatch these questions and have recieved conflicting answers. If you are unsure please do not reply.

Thank You,

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To add to the confusion that monster truck announcer guy in that really cool kick butt Panther ad says "Panther Expediting (instead of Expedite) Services"

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Moot... if you can't get a straight answer from Panther (no pun intended), can anyone on here give you one? Just about everything posted on here is opinion or speculation. Give us some credit for not being know-it-alls. :7

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The SCAC for Panther is PTWT. Not sure how they arrived at this. Kinda of cryptic like some personalized license plates. One more thing to ponder.

PantherPower

Seasoned Expediter
I can shed some light on all of your questions:

I worked for 8 years as a Warehouse and Distribution Supervisor and frequently shipped parts via Panther and other expediters almost daily. One thing that I learned in that line of work are SCAC codes. Generally, the carrier name is broken up into 4 letters to create the code. In PTWT, it is P from Panther, TW from Two, and T from Transportation.

You are leased to Panther Expedited Services, Inc. They used to be Panther II Transportation, Inc. before they changed names, just prior to the Con-Way buyout. As to the two different cities in Ohio, they used to be located in Medina before the new buildings were erected in Seville. They just have a lot of decals and paperwork like PRO Bills and Trip Pak envelopes to use up before they bust out with the new stuff.

I also noticed the error in the ad on EO. The announcer calls them Panther Expediting Services. Simply an error on the part of whoever wrote the ad.

Hope I cleared up some of the confusion!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you Kenny.

It was the TW that made my head hurt. So the official name is Panther Expedited Services, Inc. Is the SCAC remaining PTWT? I like to use the SCAC when signing BOL's.

Thanks again!

PantherPower

Seasoned Expediter
Moot,

I have no clue as to whether or not the SCAC will be the same. It seems to me it might be easier to leave well enough alone. They already have their hands full with the name change. I guess time will tell.

Another little tid-bit on SCAC's...Next time you are behind a J.B. Hunt truck, check out their SCAC code on the door of the trailer; JBHZ. It is obvious where the JBH is derived from but what is up with the Z?? Triple Crown Services is TCSZ. Maybe the Z just fills in the fourth letter in some cases? That one I cannot provide the answer to. One possibility is that perhaps JBHI (as in J.B. Hunt Incorporated) was already taken by another carrier. I used to have a list of all the current SCAC's and there were a couple hundred of them. I'm betting that there comes a point when letters that just don't fit are used simply to make it a unique 4 letter code.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Codes ending with the letter "U" are reserved for the identification of freight containers.

Codes ending with the letter "X" are reserved for the identification of privately owned railroad cars.

Codes ending with the letter "Z" are reserved for the identification of truck chassis and trailers used in intermodal service.

JB Hunt has several SCACs depending on which division it is.

JB Hunt Transport, Inc - JBHU
JB Hunt Transport, Inc - JBHZ
JB Hunt Transportation, Inc. - Truckload Division - HJBT
JB Hunt Transportation, Inc - Intermodal Division - QPMT

I think there are 2 or 3 others, as well.

PantherPower

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle,

Thanks for the info! I think those reading this thread can now be able to decipher SCAC's if they are bored enough to do so. Now that you clarified the other suffixes, I remember seing some of those.

It's always nice to learn something new! Thanks again!