Looking Both Ways To Van or Not to Van : Looking Both Ways

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just a truck driver. Been doing it so long I have a lot of experiences.

Nothing to worship, for sure.

All those countless hours and info that you and other members have given and posted on EO helped me and many others put foods on the table for our families. We thank you. You are truely a Knight of the Road.:):):)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I and the others thank you.

There is a lot of knowledge to be picked up here.

When bs appears it gets shot down pretty quick.

I appreciate those that take the time and effort to post informative links.

And Ragman for providing comic relief along with some insight.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I mean example MOOT....all these years in a CV....no inkling to get any bigger....probably thought about it....but here he is slugging it out in a CV all these years...he is comfortable...
I have had an inkling. For the past several years I tell myself and my van: Get me through this winter and I will put you to rest and buy bigger. If this American made slop bucket would just die... I'm real close to buying a GM cube. Probably a Unicel CW 14 footer if the empty weight works.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first assigned truck was a two stick Mack, camelback suspension.

And he says "no cruise !"

I took my road test in a 1958 B model with a triplex. Split bench seat, armstrong steering, no cruise or air. My first couple years driving in addition to B models, also included R and F models. Again, no power steering, no air-ride seats, no AC or cruise and all had either a duplex or triplex transmission.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got into a 1973 F model with power steering, air-ride seat, the sleeper extension and a whopping 237 hp Maxidyne with a 5 speed.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In the early seventies we needed 8 -10 single axles now to fulfill a 4 year local mail contract we were awarded.
Mack had 2 R-Model Maxi-dynes/5 speeds.

My father insisted that 5 spd couldn't work.

My father bought 2 out of desperation. Within days he returned hoping to get 6 more.
He bought quite a few new ones until they dis-continued the R-Model.