Looking Both Ways To Van or Not to Van : Looking Both Ways

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Please explain how one can MORE comfortable in a Straight?....I have a fully functional bed...a desk a fridge...carpet on floor....can walk around naked in -40 weather....where is this comfort?

I'm running solo this week.
I have a smaller than average ARI sleeper.
I parked last night. I came back to my large refrigerator freezer and removed one of 6 44oz cups of ice. I pulled a bottle of root beer out of fridge and poured it.
I sat at my dinette and started my Onan. It's so quiet that I don't hear it . Drawing from it's dedicated non taxed fuel tank my digital gauge tells me I have 92 gallons left.
I grab the remotes and flip on the auto satellite to watch Direct TV. I decide which of the 10 LED ceiling lites I need.
I don't cook so the two burner cooktop is ignored,as is the vitamix sitting on the counter.
I search through the fridge. I have stuffed peppers as my meal of choice to heat in the convection microwave. The rooftop air would go on if my lovely wife were here making porkchops or home made pizza.
Ya get the picture ?
And other straights can't believe I can get by in this little sleeper. It's smaller than most.

Many straights have shower/bathrooms, sinks, heated floors, and recliners.
And I don't have to smell my freight.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm running solo this week.
I have a smaller than average ARI sleeper.
I parked last night. I came back to my large refrigerator freezer and removed one of 6 44oz cups of ice. I pulled a bottle of root beer out of fridge and poured it.
I sat at my dinette and started my Onan. It's so quiet that I don't hear it . Drawing from it's dedicated non taxed fuel tank my digital gauge tells me I have 92 gallons left.
I grab the remotes and flip on the auto satellite to watch Direct TV. I decide which of the 10 LED ceiling lites I need.
I don't cook so the two burner cooktop is ignored,as is the vitamix sitting on the counter.
I search through the fridge. I have stuffed peppers as my meal of choice to heat in the convection microwave. The rooftop air would go on if my lovely wife were here making porkchops or home made pizza.
Ya get the picture ?
And other straights can't believe I can get by in this little sleeper. It's smaller than most.

Many straights have shower/bathrooms, sinks, heated floors, and recliners.
And I don't have to smell my freight.

read my lips.....I don't really care!!....your convenience comes with a price....dirty truck stop lots...parking at a premium and government intrusion....I'll take a little less comfort to have a lot less government in my life....thank you......

and then I am thinking I should recant....EVERY CVer and sprinter solo and team should get into a straight.....yeah thats the ticket...1,000's of more straights on every corner.....LOL

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Having about 30 yrs in TT parking a straight is a breeze.

As long as we're both happy that's all that matters.

And being MORE comfortable is one thing that makes me happy..:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Having about 30 yrs in TT parking a straight is a breeze.

As long as we're both happy that's all that matters.

And being MORE comfortable is one thing that makes me happy..:)

comfort is a....ummmm individual thing.....just having a job, just making a living is comfort...knowing where my next meal is coming from.....there was a time I knew none of that.....so yes for comfort I am easy to accomodate.....everything else is just well bonus....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well said. More a state of mind.

I mean example MOOT....all these years in a CV....no inkling to get any bigger....probably thought about it....but here he is slugging it out in a CV all these years...he is comfortable...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well said. More a state of mind.

I think you said you were an old fart like me....remember the bare steel floorboards, no AC, no radio.....90 degree days running locals in a 40 footer?......them were comfort days....LOL

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I think you said you were an old fart like me....remember the bare steel floorboards, no AC, no radio.....90 degree days running locals in a 40 footer?......them were comfort days....LOL

Don't forget no power steering and no cruise control.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We got it good.
As recently as the 90's I remember spotting a long trl in Madison Wi and having tears in my eyes.
No power steering. Zero grease on 5th wheel. When I pulled out from under the trl I actually had metal shavings on the fifth wheel. Roadway has nowhere near the maintenance program you would expect.
Crap trucks/ triples/ oversize loads/baffle less tankers.

No wonder I feel like this beats working for a living.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My first assigned truck was a two stick Mack, camelback suspension.

And he says "no cruise !"

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
My first truck was a 78 International cov with a shiny 290. 13sp all spring ride short wheelbase no ps no AC. Wee Haw :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first truck was a 78 International cov with a shiny 290. 13sp all spring ride short wheelbase no ps no AC. Wee Haw :eek:

I did a 78 international 15 sp....5 reverse... dump once....that was a joy....spend half your miles in reverse.....LOL

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Bloomington Il. Little bridge on side road west of 55 near the candy company.
Customer said turn at a Stop Sign that had been stolen.
Got to bridge. It had an S curve to get on it.
Trl too long. :eek:

Backed up that Mack forever to next intersection.
No PS. 2 stick/5 reverse.
I'd get inpatient and grab a higher reverse. Then the trl would take iff for the ditch. Stop. Pull up. Start over.

Did I ever tell you expediting beats working for a living ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bloomington Il. Little bridge on side road west of 55 near the candy company.
Customer said turn at a Stop Sign that had been stolen.
Got to bridge. It had an S curve to get on it.
Trl too long. :eek:

Backed up that Mack forever to next intersection.
No PS. 2 stick/5 reverse.
I'd get inpatient and grab a higher reverse. Then the trl would take iff for the ditch. Stop. Pull up. Start over.

Did I ever tell you expediting beats working for a living ?

This expediting is a rough gig....LOL

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Comfort things, lol. Hope it's not too late to add in. I just made a drop in Tampa. 800 lbs or sum ting. Yep, I. Moved it.

Comfort, too much of it on a regular basis could cause physical diseases. Muscles, bones, joints, ligaments are meant for moving.

On the otherhands, discomfort from movements of certain positions, on a regular basis(but not too excessive) can promote health. So, being in van, those regular awkward movements may actually benefit and maintain the normal range of motions of the body.

Remember the physical requirements for driver? The bend, stoop, crouch, crawl, squat, pivot, turn, etc. Sorry to say, most are done in a van on a daily basis,lol. No wonder I can move that 800 lbs on a daily basis. Haa! :):)

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember the marry a younger wife advice ?

Lol, it's depend on who did most of the work:) In this case, one who preferred comfort? I''ll leave it blank here.......lol. Either way, I admired you.