To Fry or not to Fry

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not like to fry hamburger or sausage in the truck so I have came up with this solution. While at home I will fry my hamburger and also any sausage we might want for omelet's. I then label a freezer bag and freeze what I have cooked. I have also found if you want to do this with steaks it works very well. I just partially cook the steak on the grill and then freeze them. I then can just thaw the steak and it only takes a few minutes to finish cooking them.

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
I also cook ahead Spagetti sauce then freeze and serve on toast. And I cook seasoned chicken breast ahead and cut it up into cube's to use in salads or on flour tortilla. Hamberger Helper also works well cooked ahead and frozen as long as it is frozen in single servings.

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG:)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like your ideas. I had not thought of the hamburger helper. I am always looking for something that I can make easily while going down the road. Also need ideas for morning that you can eat going down the road.

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
While your out on the road stop by a Huddle House and pick up some of there Vandallia steak sauce and when you get home take some smoked saugage diece it up and cook with sauce and alittle water then you can add hashbrowns and scambled eggs as a one meal dish. It freezes well in single servings to thaw and serve and if the bowl is right like the cereal bowls for kids with the lip turned in you can scoop and roll.
Also the cubed chicken can be added to stuffing mix and instead of water use some chicken gravy in the jar, can even add your choice of veggies.

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG:)

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
There you have it folks! Culinary clues from the Caffee Cafe and the Redbird Diner! Good ideas girls:)

are12

Expert Expediter
Never thought of Hamburger Helper, will have to give that a try - we are always looking for something new to eat on the road.

We do alot of our cooking in a crock pot. You go to the Super Walmart's and buy the pre-seasoned meats or a roast, even boneless chicken. When I am home, I like to make the chicken parmesan and freeze it.
I will pull it out of the freezer in the morning before I go to bed and Jim will pull over around 11 and put it in the crock pot. By 5-6 pm, the meat is done and we just pull over and make potaotes or a rice dish, veg or salad. Within 15 minutes, we are sitting down enjoying a meal better than any truck stop food!
If you do not have a sink to set the crock pot in, go to walmart and buy a pan that is just a little bigger than the crock pot (make sure it is at least an inch high), this way if it should bubble over - it does not get all over your truck!

No ideas for breakfast, Jim isn't a big breakfast person. Sometimes I can get him to eat oatmeal but not often. Me, I just grab a bowl of cereal!!

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Breakfast Pizza is my favorite and if you do one at home you can freeze individual pcs and heat them up in the micro. I buy a ready cooked large crust from the local store. It is ready browned and no need to cook, but those more ambitious can cook their own. I fry up a pound of bacon and chop it up. I buy four cheese shredded mexican blend but not with the spices. Then I softly very loosely scrambled eggs, about a dozen for a large. I prefer the california onion salt or powder sprinkled in while scrambling the eggs, it gives it a nice flavor....then I layer some shredded cheese on the crust, then spoon the soft eggs over the cheese, then add the bacon, then layer more cheese over the top. Cook about 10 to 15 min in the oven at 350 degrees and voila! A breakfast pizza. I cut it up and pkg one or two to a pk. Freeze what I don't eat and take it along for a quick breakfast heated in the micro....deeeelicious...try it. It sounds complicated but very easy. You can do egg beaters and turkey bacon if you are watching your cholesterol...but use the onion salt or powder to give more flavor. You can also use ham or sausage...The california onion has bits of green onion in it.fyi

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
Watching Carbs or want to increase fiber? This is really good. I love spaghetti that is how I came up with it.

While at home cook some barley. Depending on your diet/tastes, make or buy some spaghetti sauce. Add meat if you want. Mix in with the barley like you would with pasta and freeze in individual portions. This is much better than whole wheat pasta. It is really quite tastey and gives you a similar texture to spaghetti, plus you get some grains.

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
For hot breakfast, use your favorite breakfast ingredients like meat eggs potatoes etc and roll in a tortilla. Don't overstuff it and fold it over first one side then the ends then the other side and it will stay together nicely....These freeze great if you want to make at home or say while you have a little downtime then just heat in the microwave.

cold breakfast, a piece of fruit and some cheese make a good satisfying breakfast....I don't do well on cereal, just feel hungry and hour later. My dad always said eating cereal was like pouring sunshine down his throat for breakfast....might be good for a minute, but not terribly filling.....no offense if you are a cereal lover.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
My neighbors cook a lot of their food at home. Being that the wife is Thai, she makes tons of fried rice, seasoned meats and veggies; then mix it all together on the road. She's one helluva cook!!! :9

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In return for all the great tips above, I'll just add this advice: don't do your deep fat frying in the nude!
That's from another great song sent to me by Moot.:)

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a single empty-nester, when I grill hamburgs, I grill between 12-18 at a time. Them freeze wrap them individually and freeze within 20 min.

When I need a quick hamburg, I pop a patty in the microwave and 60 seconds later it's there, complete with the original grease and outdoor flavor, ready for onions, tomatoes, etc., etc.

Makes a great hockey puck as well.

Be safe.