Cargo Van To Decal or not to Decal...

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
New van is ready to hit the road. I have made contact with a company that likes big black cats. Now I just have to goto their orientation got all of the app stuff done.

I am hung up on the decal thing. They require it.

Anyone have alternative ideas?

I don't want signage that is permanent.

Work around so? Other companies?

Thanks.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
with some company's you will lose 5% for not being logo
so if they give you 70% you lose 5%
if they give you 65% you lose 5%
and over a year that is a lot of money
could see if they mag sign's on the unit
also some company's require you to logo to come on there site

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless something has changed in the last few years there isn't a pay penalty but that's because there isn't an option. You run with decals or you don't run for them. Fedex, on the other hand, pays $1000 on the anniversary date for every year you run with decals and send photos showing they are in good condition, again unless something has changed in the last few years.

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Well, I suppose that if you can get the logo decal or the graphics file of the logo , find a place like "Jiffy Print" or even Staples , get the logo made into a magnetic.. Provided it isnt TOO large ... or made as a vinyl cling so you can remove it easily when the time comes?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a personal opinion but I think shippers should refuse trucks without some type of company decals. I know a lot won't agree but I think it would make the van segment more professional appearing. No under 10,000 gvw stickers don't count.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I doubt Panther would put their door decals on a magnetic sheet for you. Like Worn Out stated, a hair dryer and a little Goo B Gone is all it takes. Putting a coat of wax on prior to applying the decals should make removal easier.

When the time comes to remove the decals I know an E.O. member that has experience removing Panther decals. P.M. me and I will provide his name, address, phone number, fee and applicable exchange rate. ;)

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Just a personal opinion but I think shippers should refuse trucks without some type of company decals. I know a lot won't agree but I think it would make the van segment more professional appearing. No under 10,000 gvw stickers don't count.
I agree ,xiggi... even the little 4 truck fleet the missus works for has a logo decal .. Owner does NOT mind it being magnetic.. I hear that can come in useful in California. OR simply when ya don't feel like being potentially hassled by "the Man". Or hitchhikers .. or lizards.

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Just back from London & gonna have to decide soon. 60/40 against the big cat right off the plane...

Thanks for the comments.

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Just back from London & gonna have to decide soon. 60/40 against the big cat right off the plane...

Thanks for the comments.

Well seems the consensus is this , if they require a decal ? sticker .. you will have to carry the sticker / decal.. Term of employment / contract. sorry , Mate...

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Now, if company wanted to do a full body wrap.. yeah i' do it.. far easier to remove LOL

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
New van is ready to hit the road. I have made contact with a company that likes big black cats. Now I just have to goto their orientation got all of the app stuff done.

I am hung up on the decal thing. They require it.

Anyone have alternative ideas?

I don't want signage that is permanent.

Work around so? Other companies?

Thanks.
Tracker, ultimately nothing is permanent...

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Good point and the consensus affirms same as well.

I have learned a ton lurking & talking to these folks on the EO. Funny thing that I just realized is that the very first advice I was given was to drive for someone else first.

Now that I have bought the van and am ready to hit the road as OO it's the silly decal giving me the most problem. I bought this van to be a stealth camper. Ugh...

Seems weird but maybe leaving my own van home for 6 months is the real answer here.

Personally, the waiting for a load for a couple of days wasn't much of an issue for me because with my own van would mean I could be outfitted so that I would have an office and tools to work on the van during long down times.

I do software and web stuff and am a constant hacker on all things made up of more than one thing...

I am always able to disassemble stuff and use my advanced Engineering skills to have a few extra pieces laying around if I can get it back together and it'll still work! LOL.....:jester:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would have an office and tools to work on the van during long down times.

Keep in mind the call can come at any moment, like when you have the hub completely disassembled replacing the brakes or whatever. The only certain long down time is home time. On the road during waiting time it's good to be in the middle of projects that can be stowed in a couple of minutes and resumed whenever after the good run you don't want to turn down.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now that I have bought the van and am ready to hit the road as OO it's the silly decal giving me the most problem. I bought this van to be a stealth camper. Ugh...
I have a difficult time completely understanding this "stealth camping" thing. Personally I like having some signage on my van and some clues that someone is inside. I believe some signage makes a van look less suspicious thereby more stealthy. After most of the Beltway sniper attacks witnesses reported seeing a plain white van fleeing the scene. The John Boys didn't have a white van. They drove a dark sedan.

If decals are a serious problem then sign on with a small van only company that works exclusively with brokers. I'm on my third van. All were purchased and outfitted to be freight haulers first and campers secondly. Expediting is a business after all.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a difficult time completely understanding this "stealth camping" thing. Personally I like having some signage on my van and some clues that someone is inside. I believe some signage makes a van look less suspicious thereby more stealthy. After most of the Beltway sniper attacks witnesses reported seeing a plain white van fleeing the scene. The John Boys didn't have a white van. They drove a dark sedan.

If decals are a serious problem then sign on with a small van only company that works exclusively with brokers. I'm on my third van. All were purchased and outfitted to be freight haulers first and campers secondly. Expediting is a business after all.
I agree, that I like some signage and looking less suspicious. Don't want to get lumped in with the homeless vehical people that take up residence at truck stops/Wal-Mart's. Also less suspicious when camped out early at shipper/receiver. Looks like I have a purpose for being there. Even if I don't, like one place I deliver to that is completely gated off when closed, but a place across the street has plenty of open parking.

However, the longer I've been in this and the more I sit, camping comforts do take priority over expediting for me

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
However, the longer I've been in this and the more I sit, camping comforts do take priority over expediting for me
Yeah, the longer in the business, the finer the line between camping comforts and freight priorities.

Reactions: RoadTime