TK

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think that is the one solid advantage of smaller companies is that they can provide better customer service. There is a lot at stake when you are a smaller operation. That is a fact if the owner of the company understands how customer service works. Some owners are more concerned with making a quick buck than they are with getting the freight delivered on time. I was overly paranoid about loads when I was running my small carrier. I would always monitor my drivers and provide timely updates to my partner carriers.

When I get back into the business end of things after the recession passes I'm going to be the best customer service based company on Sylectus. I already have my new corporation set up. I'm just waiting for the right time to go live with it. Another thing is getting your paperwork turned in as fast as possible. I know of some carriers that have had missing BOL's for almost two months. That right there is terrible customer service. I used to be able to locate bills of lading over a year old and fax them to my partner carriers within five minutes upon request.

Most of the time I'd even remember the load and which one of my drivers was on that load. As a small carrier/business owner you have to have a really good memory. You have to be able to do five things at the same time. A lot of people simply aren't cut out for that type of performance.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that is the one solid advantage of smaller companies is that they can provide better customer service. There is a lot at stake when you are a smaller operation. That is a fact if the owner of the company understands how customer service works. Some owners are more concerned with making a quick buck than they are with getting the freight delivered on time. I was overly paranoid about loads when I was running my small carrier. I would always monitor my drivers and provide timely updates to my partner carriers.

When I get back into the business end of things after the recession passes I'm going to be the best customer service based company on Sylectus. I already have my new corporation set up. I'm just waiting for the right time to go live with it. Another thing is getting your paperwork turned in as fast as possible. I know of some carriers that have had missing BOL's for almost two months. That right there is terrible customer service. I used to be able to locate bills of lading over a year old and fax them to my partner carriers within five minutes upon request.

Most of the time I'd even remember the load and which one of my drivers was on that load. As a small carrier/business owner you have to have a really good memory. You have to be able to do five things at the same time. A lot of people simply aren't cut out for that type of performance.

Now if you would just go and sell Kirbys instead

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It helps us tremendously that most brokers like emailed invoices and good quality scanned BOLs. I now use JotNot and "scan" and email the signed BOL back to the broker within about 3 minutes of it being signed. It's certainly not required, but if I get the BOL back to Load-1, S-2, ACE, Turri, Express-1, etc they MAY be able to catch a check cycle a week earlier and get paid sooner. Now, big companies worry less about this but the smaller companies REALLY se to appreciate it bony always, but enough to keep me doing it.

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Don't worry about it the thread disappeared just like the company did LOL

Ouch!

Mods should let this play out. Some good discussion going on. I think its all relevent.

Not sure what's going on with T&K think they are still hanging in there hopefully. They been around a while hate to see anyone go through tough times knowing the hard work that goes into running an expedite company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Blizz, on the home page of EO are the blogs. Shelly had a great one probably in the last week talking about insurance claims in the multi-carrier model.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm just speaking from the times I've met him and the conversations I've had with him. Not paying drivers is horrible. I agree. I guess I should have said that he seemed like a nice guy the last several times I met him but this is a horrible path he's on now. My slip.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Met a lot of people I like in this business. Granted I won't do business with half of them. :rolleyes:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It helps us tremendously that most brokers like emailed invoices and good quality scanned BOLs. I now use JotNot and "scan" and email the signed BOL back to the broker within about 3 minutes of it being signed. It's certainly not required, but if I get the BOL back to Load-1, S-2, ACE, Turri, Express-1, etc they MAY be able to catch a check cycle a week earlier and get paid sooner. Now, big companies worry less about this but the smaller companies REALLY se to appreciate it bony always, but enough to keep me doing it.

Yeah, updating your trucks properly, turning in your paperwork on time, and providing consistent updates is the key when you are running a smaller carrier. I always answered my phones as well; even at 12 AM. Plus it does help if the owner of the company used to be a driver and understands the importance of customer service.

Oh, and to OVM, I'm not going into the vacuum cleaner business. I'm going to invent a triple box train of Penske trucks where I can haul 15 fifty cent per mile skids all the way back to Michigan. I'm going to run the MI to Laredo round tripper 4 times a month with my huge train of Penske box cars. After all I do have a doubles and triples endorsement on my commercial drivers license! lol.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Yeah, updating your trucks properly, turning in your paperwork on time, and providing consistent updates is the key when you are running a smaller carrier. I always answered my phones as well; even at 12 AM. Plus it does help if the owner of the company used to be a driver and understands the importance of customer service.

Oh, and to OVM, I'm not going into the vacuum cleaner business. I'm going to invent a triple box train of Penske trucks where I can haul 15 fifty cent per mile skids all the way back to Michigan. I'm going to run the MI to Laredo round tripper 4 times a month with my huge train of Penske box cars. After all I do have a doubles and triples endorsement on my commercial drivers license! lol.

Brush up on your Russian.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Met a lot of people I like in this business. Granted I won't do business with half of them. :rolleyes:

The criteria for fun to hang out with and good to do business with are not the same. If that was the case, it would make things a lot easier.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The criteria for fun to hang out with and good to do business with are not the same. If that was the case, it would make things a lot easier.

I drive big, big, big long yellow truck. I have three long trailer with air break on them. Sometimes we load them down so heavy bumper drag across road and make spark like low-rider car. Engine strong like bull! Truck have power to climb mountain with 15 skid in back. Only problem is we get 5 mile per gallon. I love this type work. It better than sit home listen to wife complain about not having money to pay cable bill.