Tithing Your 10%? You're Getting Played

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How passing the plate becomes the 'Sunday morning stickup'
If a pastor or church leader has ever told you that the Bible commands Christians to tithe or give 10% of their income; hit you up for multiple offerings during one service; made you march up front to give; asked you to donate to a mysterious "building fund" or give a "first-fruit" offering; or even given special recognition to big givers in your congregation, Lee and other pastors have a message for you:

You are getting played.

Discuss. :D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I guess it is to some extent. Although I am mindful that most churches need some form of income to keep the doors open. You would think though that they would at least give a plastic Jesus for the donation.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
t_82171.jpg

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My church does not pass the plate because they don't want anyone to feel pressured into giving.
There is a box in the back you can drop whatever in if you feel lead to give.
we believe were God Guides God Provides and if He doesn't than it's time to shut the doors.
The Pastor is not allowed to see the records of who gives what so that no one gets treated special for giving more or looked down upon for giving less. B.T.W. the word tithe means a tenth. I don't have to tithe I get to tithe. If anyone feels they are being pressured into giving or they just don't want to it's best they don't.

Reactions: mrgoodtude

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I give my ten % a year it's just to things that I feel need my help but definitely not to a preacher who's income that's higher than mine

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
From the [Catholic] Bishop's Palace in Galveston, Tx, to the various megachurches all over, it's clear that there's a LOT of money flowing to those at the top of the heap.
But in Tudor England, King Henry gleefully decommissioned the monasteries to divvy their lands among his friends, while keeping the treasures for himself, so it's the same principle: the greedy will take what they can, every time.