Tires and CSA 2010 (tire capacities)

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Since I cannot post in the FECC forum, I'll post the following here:

What TeamCaffee mentioned regarding tire capacity, meaning the design weight carrying capacity of the tire verses actual weight loaded onto the tire, is extremely important as more scales are looking more closely at this as many carriers and O/O are trying to cut cost.

If the weight applied onto the tire exceeds the capacity shown on the sidewall of the tire, DOT will shut you down and require the proper tires be mounted before releasing the truck. That becomes quite costly in many ways. It does not matter if your steer axle is rated to carry the weight you scale at, the tires are the final determining factor. This error will win you CSA points and a huge fine.

Any of the large sleeper trucks like ours and the SST Columbia Expedite reefer trucks etc can tend to run heavy on the steer axle. Our truck weighs 14,560 on a 14,600 lbs rated steer axle. We run steer tires with a combined weight capacity of 15,660 lbs. We have never had issues but we have had friends shut down for not having the right steers. We do get pulled into the scale occassionally and our steers get visually inspected for correct weight capacity.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, but I think that this is not FedEx exclusive stuff, maybe it all should be moved here?

guido4475

Not a Member
I had a Sterling class 8 10-wheeler that had a 400 gallon fuel capacity, c-15 Cat, and it had an empty weight of over 14,000 on the steer axle as well.I ran 16-ply Continentals HSL's on the front and had no problem after being looked at visually by the dot as well.But was recommended to upgrade to a 12x24.5 tire, which meant a wider rim as well.This is generally known as a "bus tire/rim" used on most Prevosts.Has alot more weight capacity.Next option above that was a 315 tire, then a floater tire, if I am not mistaken.

KerriLynn

Seasoned Expediter
glad this is being discussed. with 12,000 lb axle, as per door sticker, does it really matter if you put on heavier capacity tires? Does DOT look at that? I am running over 12K on the steers even unloaded and have to play the game of putting cargo on the rear and never filling the tanks. does anyone think installation of lift axle is good idea to resolve this overweight issue? thanks for all responses, this is a very troubling issue for us as we are just into this truck and not comfortable running overweight; seems illegal and potentially costly to driver; not financer. don't know how the owner got a bogus (lie) weight ticket into fedex hands for qualification but it must have happened. comments please.