Time to band together!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you haven't heard, Indiana is leasing their toll road to a foreign conglomerate. The vote passed with the VAST majority of citizens against it... as much as 90% of northern IN voters. So... they'll be voted out next time. What does that do for us? In the first year, truck tolls will double. The governor is also planning on making local highways "weight restrictive", meaning he's trying to force us onto the turnpike. I guess that much he DID learn from Ohio. He has not counted on the street smarts of the regular Joe trucker.

A number of truckers are boycotting Indiana. By this, I mean they are staying off the toll road, and are going to stop buying fuel and food in Indiana. Truckstop visits are to use the restroom and shower only. I hate to do this as Indiana has good places to stop. But something has to be done! Other states are watching, and will quickly follow suit if Indiana has success. They COUNT on our revenue, but can't control our resolve! Because of this, they will fail.

I hope the members and readers on EO will take heed in what's going on, and do the right thing. It's not like you have to call a legislator... it's already going into effect. All you have to do is schedule your fuel stops OUTSIDE Indiana. If you can't, just get enough to get you to KY, MI, or Ohio, then fill up. Be sure to tell the managers of any truckstops you go to in Indiana why you're not spending money there. And, above all, once this goes into effect, STAY OFF THE TURNPIKE!!! I'll update with routes that will be expediter freindly.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

OK

But if the side roads was weight restrictive wouldnt that create expedite freindly routes?

What kind of weight restriction would it be? 28 tons?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Indiana isn't a good place to buy fuel anyway. They require 27 cents per gallon fuel tax on all gallons used but only give you 16 cents per gallon credit for fuel purchased in the state. The fuel looks like it's less expensive there but it really isn't. This thread has a discussion of fuel taxes and a chart of tax rates as of 4Q 2005 to at least get people started on figuring true fuel cost and why boycotting Indiana isn't necessarily a bad idea.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/3623.html

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
What in this country is going on?? Didn't George Washington and his boys take care of foriegn control? Maybe we can send our politicians to the foreign countries Tom Stradinger aka Tom Tinkerx(

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I live in Indiana and have never purchased more of this expensive fuel than the miles I run. Those of you that think you're getting over buying cheap fuel in Indiana, are sadly mistaken.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>What? No chatter? You guys have no "gromba".

I don't think they understand what it is all about and many won’t do as thing about it.

It is the same for Michigan, no one cares about the impact of the new fuel taxes in Michigan effective April 1 2006 it is something that is passed over by everyone - just because all commercial vehicles will pay an additional 26¢ per mile driven in the state and that all Michigan based commercial vehicles will have an additional tax to pay 30% more come May 1, 2006 to bring it up to the 2007 license cost level because of the hike in 2007 licensing.

Now that I got your attention!

People should be concerned with throughways like Indiana toll road. The people who are in control know that there are not too many options for a truck and the cost per mile count when it really comes down to it, so they like Michigan are betting very few will say a thing about it and fewer will even make an effort to bring it to the surface. I really feel that a lot of what we see today is not targeting the O/O but the big companies.

Oh by the way the Michigan thing was created to get you to read the post and THINK. Your Involvement Matters

Draco

Expert Expediter
I'll stay off the turnpike no worries there. But as far as me not buying fuel in Indiana will be a problem as I LIVE in Indiana. I swear it seems that any excuse they can come up with and they'll raise the fuel prices. Blows me away when fuel IN Michigan is actually CHEAPER then what it is here. I've even seen a few times when the eastcoast was cheaper!

As I said before staying off Indiana toll road easily done. As far as them making secondary roads weight restrictive. I don't see how they can do that as there are too many business along those roads that will need freight delivered. What are they going to do divert ALL cops to those secondary roads to police who is just passing through and who is delivery??