This doesn't look right.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I had these attachments sent to me by a friend. I told him the price didn't seem bad, but I'm wondering If i'm the only one that thinks the placement of the drive axles is a little off. I don't think they actually stretched this tractor, just attached the box. Or am I seeing things? The box is a 22'. seems like too much hanging off.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I clicked on both links, but the result looks more like a letter written in Cyrillic than a photo of a truck.

Rex

greg334

Veteran Expediter
> They sure found a way to keep the weight off the front
>axle.

OK I saw another Volvo (red) with the axles kept in place like this. I didn't get to talk to the driver but he had everything on or just behind the axles.

I am just wondering how effective this really is in this configuration?

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>Try this
>
>
>http://cgiuck0760QQssPageName<<snipped>>ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That link works, but I have to question the viability of the truck.
If you had a load in it you'd need wheelie bars!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rex

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
The alleged<sp?> builder should have mounted a 14" box, it would look less stoopid and it would be a dock high C unit.

Rex

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Kinda looks like if you took the box off, you'd be able to hook a tractor right up. It's like they didn't even stretch the frame.

Other than that, the truck looks clean as new, and taken care of. How often do you find that in a truck that age? Even if you had to do some mods to it, a couple thousand in that case, it's a good looking truck. Especially for the price. Who cares about looks. If it works, it works.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You are correct. They didn't stretch it at all, just attach the box. It's an accident waiting to happen. It will get loaded too heavy to the back and take too much weight off the steers. The steering will get too light and it will be in a wreck. The only question is when. I wouldn't have it if they gave it to me for free unless I could get it properly stretched and set up. If the stipulation was free but can't change it then no way am I taking it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It still looks fixable. Like I said, with a couple thousand, this truck could be properly done up, and he would have a good truck. There are companies that care about the condition, not the age of the truck. In the end, isn't that what's important? So, for around $25,000, he'd have a good truck that would last him a few years at the very least.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
T-hawk is correct. It is fixable although I'd suspect more like $4-5k for a good frame stretch with R&R the box etc. and in that case it could be a very good truck. If the drivetrain is as good as the cab is outwardly it's in excellent condition. For no more than about $30k tops it should do a good job for quite a while. The big thing as I said earlier is I wouldn't touch it without fixing it. If your friend could swing it along with fixing it it wouldn't be a bad truck to check into.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Looks scary. I don't know it would be worth trying a stretch. It would be easier to get another tractor and start from scratch.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator