thinking of buying a couple of sprinters,what do yall think.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you hand over a van with a full tank of fuel and run for a company that advances upon pickup there's no reason for them to ever not have fuel to run. Yes, you have to be concerned about money management skills and hopefully will determine that in the interview process. I wouldn't deviate from 60/40. If you give 50% and pay fuel you are giving away an awful lot.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Never owned a Porsche or a Ford. Or a Sprinter.

Are you saying it needs way more maintenance thatn the Ford? Is the maint schedule clearly laid out in the guide and manual? Or is it just something you gotta figure out for yourself?

I still don't know anything more about the differences in maintenance.

Thanks!
Christopher

The only way I would buy a Sprinter for a driver to operate is if he running husband and wife team.
There is absolutely no comparison between a Ford and a Sprinter. I would venture to say a Sprinter will double your maintenance cost's. If your worried about cargo capacity as I have been, I chose to go with a Chevy (or Ford) with a unicell body and you will have the capacity of a Sprinter with lower initial investment and lower overhead. Your ROI will be some what quicker.:D
As far as mileage goes I cannot truly answer that right now but it will be in the 17-18 range. I know that's less than a "Sprinter" but it's gas not diesel, so it would come out about the same on a spread sheet.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
my 07 sprinter has cost about $419.00 a month or .08 per mile at almost 200,000 if that helps
only use right parts or you will have night mares
and there aren't many sprinter shops in country
if you are going to run all over the country make sure you know where dealera are

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You ever been a fleet owner or managed a fleet?

It is far worst with vans than it is with trucks.

This will tell you how long I've been out here. In 1975 I owned 12 Pete's pulling Chemicals for Chemical Lehman tank lines. Believe or not it was easier then with a dozen than now with a couple. Maybe it's age.:cool:

aileron

Expert Expediter
As far as mileage goes I cannot truly answer that right now but it will be in the 17-18 range. I know that's less than a "Sprinter" but it's gas not diesel, so it would come out about the same on a spread sheet.

Nowhere near close to being the same. I did a comparison a few years back and I came out waaaay ahead with my sprinter at 26 MPG. Even with the price of diesel being higher, the initial investment being higher and the maintenance being higher, I still come out ahead.
I think I posted here on eo a few years back the numbers.

I would not buy anything else but a 2006 or earlier sprinter. On 2007 and up, the fuel mileage advantage is not there any more. However, if you put someone else in the driver seat, you might be better off with a ford.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This will tell you how long I've been out here. In 1975 I owned 12 Pete's pulling Chemicals for Chemical Lehman tank lines. Believe or not it was easier then with a dozen than now with a couple. Maybe it's age.:cool:

Did you have contractors or employees?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I think you're right Dave, management is important as much as the right driver. But the allure of being a van fleet owner may be too much for a lot to refuse. They see those dollar signs and skip over the learning curve. Van fleet ownership is the bottom of the list of money making things I can think of.

Male egos gets us in trouble everytime:D

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I had the same thought last year. Buy 2 new Sprinters with sleepers, get 2 good H/W teams and make lots of money. Do the research and the math and you will quickly discover that the money (if any) just ain't there.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
im not trying to get rich here.im just creating jobs and make a few bucks. i came back in to this business and i have avg around 700 a week clear if i can add 2 vans on and be able to clear an extra 1000 a month after everything i should be good.i just was trying to find out if it was worth the money for a sprinter.some people think they will get rich over night if that was the case i would buy a lotto ticket.futher more some of you are right on i have made my mind up to buy one sprinter found one for 17900 it is a 2007 and another ford e350 2006 for 11900 so you see i should be fine i will still be out there driving not just sitting trying to make all the money in the world at the house

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
OK, so it takes a lot more to keep a Sprinter going, but they do go better. If you have an 06 or earlier.

So the 07's on up don't have enough advantages to beat out the Ford? Why would they butcher the fuel economy on a working vehicle?

How wide are the Fords (or Chevys) with unicell bodies? One thing I like about the newer Sprinters is they are long enough to still fit 2 skids in them, and let me have a permanent bed lengthwise (I'm too tall for the cross-wise bunk). If the unicells are wide enough, I can go and have a proper cross wise bunk. How long do they come (i.e. can you put 3 skids in them with a bunk?)?

And is there a reason to get a Ford or Chevy in gas rather than diesel? I tend to like diesels. I can have heat and a/c (unless there's a way to mount a genny on the van), and it's always been my understanding they go farther with less maintenance issues.

And diesel...just smells right for commercial work. Ok, not a valid point for picking an engine, but still...

Thanks!
Christopher

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And is there a reason to get a Ford or Chevy in gas rather than diesel? I tend to like diesels. I can have heat and a/c (unless there's a way to mount a genny on the van), and it's always been my understanding they go farther with less maintenance issues.

The initial cost for a gas engine is much less than a diesel. And, they do come with heaters and A/C. Gas engines are just as capable of high miles as diesels are, with proper care. I know of a couple of 1 million plus gas engines in expedite. Based on my experience with a 7.3 Powerstroke, I'm not so sure about the less maintenance thing. Oil changes are more on a diesel, fuel filters need to be replaced more often and tend to be more expensive. Also, if you have a problem on the road, it's not a problem finding someone to work on gas., but can be an issue with diesel.

If I were to go back to a van, I'd seriously consider a gas engine.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Think you got the wrong Dawgg, Ontario. Underdog is the one looking to add a couple (and the OP). I'm just asking related questions to try and get an idea of if being a van O/O is something I might wanna do one day, and if it is, what make would I wanna get.

It's only a minor threadjack...lol

Thanks!
Christopher

truck22399

Seasoned Expediter
the way business was last year in my ford e350.im thinking of buying two sprinters to put on,or should i do more fords.im thinking the sprinters get little better fuel and can haul more skids.what do you oldtimers think.Im thinking the loads will just increase this year so this is a good time.but im torn between the sprinter and ford.i know of a couple of times i could have got load sooner with a sprinter,any info would be great,thanks

I bought an E350, took it to Primetime in Elkahart, gave them $6300 for a high roof and high rear doors (within a couple of inches of a Sprinter). Now I have a Sprinter-size vehicle capable of 3200# but I DO NOT have Sprinter maintenance/repair costs. Good luck.