Thinking about Retiring? This could be fun.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A transatlantic cruise would be pretty awesome.

I've never actually had to pay for mine. All 4 that I went on were company retreats for the top portrait salespeople and photographers at Olan Mills.

The first one was a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival. Went to Nassau and Freeport. That one was particularly awesome because there was a mixup on the reservations and I got a balcony room while everyone else got an inside windowless room. Well, there were 6 of us (3 rooms) that got balcony rooms because of the mixup. The mixup was definitely on Olan Mills' part and not the cruise line. But it was a 4 day cruise and we didn't spend much time in the room, anyway. I actually spent very little time in the room on any of the cruises, so for me, I'd go for the cheap inside closet room with no view.

The other 3 cruises were all Norwegian, and two were 8 night cruises, one was an 11 night cruise. One of the 8 nighters went to eastern Caribbean: St. Maarten (Netherlands), St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Tortola in the British Virgin Islands, and Nassau, Bahamas. That by far my favorite. Another went to the western Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas (private island, great snorkeling), Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, Mexico.

The last one I went on was the 11 night cruise. It was a Central American cruise. We left Miami and sailed 2 days to Cartagena, Colombia and spent the day there, then we went to 2 stops in Panama, then Costa Rica, Honduras, Belize, then Costa Maya in Mexico, then back to Miami. All of us on that cruise had large oceanview suites, which probably cost the company a ton. Still didn't spend much time in the room, though.

The Caribbean island cruises were my favorite, but Central America was pretty interesting. On the islands, if you want, you can get off the touristy beaten path (or beat and path, if you prefer) and get more local flavor. It was not advised to go roaming around in Central America outside of the tourist areas.

Reactions: Opel2010

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Caribbean island cruises were my favorite, but Central America was pretty interesting. On the islands, if you want, you can get off the touristy beaten path (or beat and path, if you prefer) and get more local flavor. It was not advised to go roaming around in Central America outside of the tourist areas.
Royal Caribbean is my cruise line of choice. With that said, each line has it's advantages.

As far as going off the beaten path, Grand Caymon is the only island I would be comfortable going outside the tourist areas.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
P1014335.JPG P1014339.JPG DSC00910.jpg DSC00914.jpg
As far as going off the beaten path, Grand Caymon is the only island I would be comfortable going outside the tourist areas.
You'll change your option if you'll visit Madeira Island (Portugal)... it's the perfect place, perfect weather!

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Royal Caribbean is my cruise line of choice. With that said, each line has it's advantages.
Royal Caribbean is pretty consistently ranked as the #1 best cruise line for the money. I only have the 2 cruise lines as a references. Been on 4 different ships, though. They (whoever they are) rank not only the company but each individual boat. I keep hearing that a Disney cruise is pretty great.
We rented a jeep in St Thomas and went to the botanical gardens and then ate at restaurant popular with the locals. In Nassau we rented a car and just drove around, ,stayed mostly along the beach areas. In Jamaica we were gonna rent a car and go to Kingston, which was about 60 miles, but then we found out it takes 2-3 hours to get there because it's all mountain roads. Passed on that one.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say Royal, but never been on a Disney. I guess the perception of a pile of kids chased us away. Have done several Carnivals and certainly weren't the top shelf, but they weren't too bad either.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Geez you "older" generation crack me up. My idea of retirement is a larger sleeper with forced 10 hour breaks...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I was in navy for 21 years , 27 days and 3 mins to get out gate after retirement
made 9 med cruises 1 great lakes cruises, 3 cruise
up and down east c , one west pac
I don't want to see a cruise ship , had a great time on uncle sam's dime
was on 9 ships in 14 years of sea duty
sailors belong on ships and ship belong at sea
some one ask me where are you taking your wife for your ans this year said, were taking a cruise,
left it at that about 4 days later she call and asked my wife how was the cruise. she what cruise we took ferry from Jamestown to surry for dinner. got a little heat over that

Reactions: brokcanadian