The Trump Card...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wasn't that antifa fellow with the camera not in his garb?
Probably why Russian speaking Trumpster didn't see any.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Perhaps not a Machiavellian genius. Perhaps no 24-dimensional chess. But the man is brilliant is some ways at least He sensed and exploited frustrations in the population that establishment Republicans and Democrats missed. With that sense and his willingness to fire people up and pit them against each other, and his willingness to shatter previous norms, he got elected. In business he managed to wiggle through one business failure after another, sticking others with the bill while he walked off with the money. He is very good at certain games.

One does have to wonder was he responsible for Qanon or did he just ride the craziness into power?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: RLENT

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Why the prejudice then?

Persecution complex getting #triggered ?

I have a short little video about that, that I can't post on the open forum here (due to language), but I'd be happy to send a Twitter link to you (or anyone for that matter) in a PM if you'd like. Just let me know.

I found it to be utterly hilarious ... although the circumstances that spawned its creation are incredibly sad for our nation.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
One does have to wonder was he responsible for Qanon or did he just ride the craziness into power?
I spent little time analyzing MAGA people before the election but have become more interested in it now. Trump is fading but these people who are fellow community members remain with us, some in an agitated political state of mind.

As I read more about "them," I'm careful to remind myself that there is no "them." There is a loosely knit group of people of varying beliefs sharing Trump as a rally point, inspirational leader, person of like-minded political views, someone to support because he is not left, cult leader, fellow bigot, Christian, Republican, or any number of other ways people see Trump and see reasons to align with him.

Qanon people are among those who identify with Trump or look to him for leadership, if not salvation. One of many elements in the greater MAGA universe. As I understand it, the Qanon originator remains anonymous. I think Trump is as happy to accept Qanon support as he is to accept support from just about any other group willing to give it to him.

Reactions: blackpup and RLENT

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Regarding the validity of the upcoming Trump impeachment trial in the U.S. Senate, this article raises some interesting points.

Turley was a guy I used to have quite a bit of respect for - that was largely based on listening to the man opine on tv (seemingly well-reasoned, articulate, etc.)

After reading the commentary of some of his former students on the character of the man, well, perhaps not so much.

It surely does say something that he can't even get it straight which portion of the Constitution addresses Impeachment that he presumes to comment on. (It's Article 2, Section 4 ... not Article 1, Section 4 - which addresses elections)

Article 1, Section 4:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Place of Chusing Senators.

The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall (be on the first Monday in December,) (The preceding words in parentheses were superseded by the 20th Amendment, section 2.) unless they shall by Law appoint a different Day.

Article 2, Section 4:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Being a close personal friend of former AG William Barr isn't something that necessarily accrues to his favor in my mind either.

:tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Another fun fact, in case I haven't mentioned it previously:

The second vote on disqualification from future office, only requires a simple majority - not 2/3rds.

;)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another fun fact, in case I haven't mentioned it previously:
The second vote on disqualification from future office, only requires a simple majority - not 2/3rds. ;)
So let's play this out a bit.

Suppose, for the purposes of discussion, that the Senate proceeds with the impeachment trial and convicts Trump, and then takes the second vote and disqualifies him from holding future office. And/or suppose, for the purposes of discussion, that Trump is charged with sedition, insurrection, rebellion or other such thing, and found guilty by a jury in a court of law; which, presumably, would disqualify Trump from holding future office under the 14th Amendment.

Also suppose that two or three years from now, when the presidential campaigns for 2024 begin, Trump is mentally and physically healthy, he has retained a good portion of his base of fervent supporters, and his $200 million campaign war chest remains intact or even grows. Also suppose Trump's present iron grip on the Republican party, and thus the Republican Party nomination, remains intact.

With or without such good fortune, I know of nothing that could stop Trump from declaring he is a candidate for president and proceeding with a campaign. A number of red states would likely grant him ballot access without complaint. Blue states may act to keep Trump off the ballot, citing impeachment and conviction by Congress or conviction in a court of law. But Trump can sue to reverse that (may or may not succeed) and continue to raise funds and campaign as a write-in candidate where ballot access has been denied.

The laws do not say a convicted-and-disqualified Trump cannot seek public office. They say he cannot hold public office. Regardless of impeachment and court outcomes regarding Trump's eligibility to hold office, he remains free to raise as much hell as ever by running for president in the 2024 election.

If Trump actually won the election in the above hypothetical scenario, the Supreme Court would likely get involved then if not before. If Trump was indeed convicted for disqualifying crimes by Congress or a court, I would think the Supreme Court would rule he cannot be seated; in which case we could thank Donald Trump once again for bringing America into a constitutional crisis.

The above scenario is unlikely. It assumes too many things have to go right for a greatly diminished Trump over an extended period of time. In the near and continuing future, Trump is going to be referred to as "defendant" far more than "candidate."

Last edited:

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Headline today: Antifa supporter plotted armed attack on pro-Trump protesters at Florida capitol: FBI

Google it. Maybe extremists on both sides should be allowed to eliminate each other. Dumb and dumber.

Reactions: Turtle