The Trump Card...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so the state of Montana has applied for disaster aid...by the smoke maps of NASA it stretches farther east then Chicago.....we have a haze here and deep smell of smoke....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I read Houston is a FREEDOM area.....zoning laws are non existent and they build wherever they please....no thought goes into drainage, green spaces that help absorb water...they build on known floodplains...how stupid is that?...they might be a great state, but not so smart....IMO
Not to mention that as you travel around Houston the highway overpasses we're kept level with highway and instead they dug out the intersection below the overpasses, I presume, to save money. A lot of flooded man made hollows below overpasses. Just Sayin'!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I read Houston is a FREEDOM area.....zoning laws are non existent and they build wherever they please....no thought goes into drainage, green spaces that help absorb water...they build on known floodplains...how stupid is that?...they might be a great state, but not so smart....IMO
Not to mention that as you travel around Houston the highway overpasses we're kept level with highway and instead they dug out the intersection below the overpasses, I presume, to save money. A lot of flooded man made hollows below overpasses. Just Sayin'!

They appear to elevate to add on an extra lane.. nothing like them frontage roads...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Right before Obama left office he put in a new regulation requiring building codes to be where new federal construction must be able to withstand hurricanes and floods, among other things. But because it was mostly really expensive feel-good regulations that wouldn't really do anything, Trump struck those down before they could take effect. But the Left is all mad at Trump now, because he killed regulations that would have prevented hurricanes and flooding. Tornadoes, too. And earthquakes. And chigger bites.

Civil structural engineers told Obama it was a waste of time and money, but Obama was all like, "Dammit, this FEELS so good, it's got to work!"

Meanwhile, the folks over in The Netherlands are looking at us and shaking their heads and laughing at the stupid Americans. They've got flood control down. And we keep refusing to do any of it. Obama's regulations didn't do it, because his regulations said future builds had to take into account Climate Change and rising sea levels, which feels good but it didn't really do anything to address basic flooding and hurricane damage.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right before Obama left office he put in a new regulation requiring building codes to be where new federal construction must be able to withstand hurricanes and floods, among other things. But because it was mostly really expensive feel-good regulations that wouldn't really do anything, Trump struck those down before they could take effect. But the Left is all mad at Trump now, because he killed regulations that would have prevented hurricanes and flooding. Tornadoes, too. And earthquakes. And chigger bites.

Civil structural engineers told Obama it was a waste of time and money, but Obama was all like, "Dammit, this FEELS so good, it's got to work!"

Meanwhile, the folks over in The Netherlands are looking at us and shaking their heads and laughing at the stupid Americans. They've got flood control down. And we keep refusing to do any of it. Obama's regulations didn't do it, because his regulations said future builds had to take into account Climate Change and rising sea levels, which feels good but it didn't really do anything to address basic flooding and hurricane damage.
Did you see the billion dollar anti surge gates they built ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it's impressive. But along with that, instead of trying to fight and subdue Mother Nature, the Dutch have learned to live with it and use nature to their advantage. They've devised lakes, garages, plazas and parks which are integral to daily life, but also serve as huge reservoirs when flooding happens. Instead of trying to keep all the water out, they have learned to control it, based in large part on what the water wants to do. They control the water by letting is do its natural thing. For example, instead of dredging and replacing eroded beach sand every 5 years, they've dredged up a 28 million cubic yard sand pile and have presented it to the sea to do with as it sees fit. What nature is doing with it is spreading it into a 12-mile-long buffer that will protect the coastline for the next 20 years. It's called the Sand Engine. It works in conjunction with the dykes and dams and reservoirs.

What they're doing there is not that much different from what they did in my home town. It used to be that after every heavy rain half the town would flood. Not bad, from a few inches to a foot or so, then quickly run off to the creek and then into KY Lake. Homes were built to deal with it, basements designed to catch flood waters, etc. Then someone decided to get rid of all the houses in a 3 square block area, the area of the most flooding, and turn that area into a flood plain reservoir. It's the City Park, with picnic tables and covering and baseball diamonds and swing sets. And 4 or 5 days a year it's a lake. It'll fill up, a day or to later it's empty, another day or two it's dry enough to get back to business as usual. The houses and basements stay dry and everybody is happy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, it's impressive. But along with that, instead of trying to fight and subdue Mother Nature, the Dutch have learned to live with it and use nature to their advantage. They've devised lakes, garages, plazas and parks which are integral to daily life, but also serve as huge reservoirs when flooding happens. Instead of trying to keep all the water out, they have learned to control it, based in large part on what the water wants to do. They control the water by letting is do its natural thing. For example, instead of dredging and replacing eroded beach sand every 5 years, they've dredged up a 28 million cubic yard sand pile and have presented it to the sea to do with as it sees fit. What nature is doing with it is spreading it into a 12-mile-long buffer that will protect the coastline for the next 20 years. It's called the Sand Engine. It works in conjunction with the dykes and dams and reservoirs.

What they're doing there is not that much different from what they did in my home town. It used to be that after every heavy rain half the town would flood. Not bad, from a few inches to a foot or so, then quickly run off to the creek and then into KY Lake. Homes were built to deal with it, basements designed to catch flood waters, etc. Then someone decided to get rid of all the houses in a 3 square block area, the area of the most flooding, and turn that area into a flood plain reservoir. It's the City Park, with picnic tables and covering and baseball diamonds and swing sets. And 4 or 5 days a year it's a lake. It'll fill up, a day or to later it's empty, another day or two it's dry enough to get back to business as usual. The houses and basements stay dry and everybody is happy.

Thats smart planning right there...as they say...water will find a way....

I also read....they have back filled the Hudson River so much it has increased speed....they have found it is slowly taking mud from the river bottom, deepening the river and now it appears to be trying to undermine the Holland tunnel....

Reactions: muttly and Turtle

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thats smart planning right there...as they say...water will find a way....

I also read....they have back filled the Hudson River so much it has increased speed....they have found it is slowly taking mud from the river bottom, deepening the river and now it appears to be trying to undermine the Holland tunnel....
That sounds like a future Movie script

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thats what the Humber river project was all about...unrestricted flow of water thru the natural process..plenty of green space to help absorb water as well.....we continue to pave over the land, the water has to run off somewhere,,

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
DACA
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

Defer - to put off (action, consideration, etc.) to a future time.

Even Obama said at the time that is was a "stop gap" measure not to be permanent, not a path to citizenship, and that he didn't really have the authority to do it in the first place.

The average age of a DACA recipient is 26, and 72% are female.

Now we've got kids walking out of classrooms in protest, people sitting in the middle of the streets in protest and getting arrested for it (I'm not sure how smart it is as a DACA recipient to go out of your way to get arrested, since any conviction voids your DACA status and is cause for immediate deportation <snort>), and liberals are calling Trump cruel, some even saying they have a right to stay.

Just to clear up any possible confusion, as a foreign national you have absolutely no right whatsoever to demand US citizenship or permanent residency status.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as a FN..Ken agrees...with Turtle....
I'm trying to imagine what would happen if folks tried to stay illegally in Canada, or some other countries, the way people do here. I kinda picture Dudley Do Right being a lot more firm in real life than he was in the cartoon
When Judy first applied she was almost rejected.....just because she was type 2 diabetic...
one must ADD value to the country not be a deficit...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
as a FN..Ken agrees...with Turtle....
I'm trying to imagine what would happen if folks tried to stay illegally in Canada, or some other countries, the way people do here. I kinda picture Dudley Do Right being a lot more firm in real life than he was in the cartoon
dudley-do-right.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Every Democrat in Congress who complains about Trump ending DACA should be slapped upside the head with a bike lock in a sock. Beginning with Nancy Pelosi.

To those Democrats I say, if you like your DACA you can keep your DACA... All you have to do to keep it is do your job.