The Trump Card...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I can see why some might expect or want it, but that is much different than whether it is a good idea.
... good idea for WHO ?

The potential candidate ... or those that are prospectively interviewing him for the job ?

I don't suspect he will.
I'm fairly certain he won't ...

And it's my guess that the reason he won't is that it will illustrate that much of what he has told folks about his personal wealth is an utter fantasy ...

If you look back in this thread near the beginning, I made the prediction that The Donald would drop out before he reached the deadline that required him to file federal financial disclosure.

Clearly, I was wrong about that specifically ... but it was based on a certain degree of ignorance about what such disclosure actually entails ... and what it doesn't.

I recently read a piece that contrasted what Trump reported - under federal financial disclosure - versus what he was legally required to disclose under (UK) law about his UK operations.

In the federal financial disclosure, he lists only the revenue from the UK operations - which is allowed, nothing illegal about it ... but not the bottom line.

This could potentially be misleading as far as his acumen goes in terms of "great businessman" (really YOOOGE I tell ya !)

But in the UK filings he is legally required to spill all the beans.

And the UK filings show that both operations lost money ... millions of dollars ...

But yes, there very well could be some conflicts of interest.
I would suggest that it is in the public interest - no matter who the candidate is - to know whether there are any conflicts of interest.

Think they are stepping into the same issue with the Clinton Foundation. Only difference there is the latter won't get the same media treatment. Just my opinion of course.
Possibly not ... also possibly for good reason.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Simple logic can often be fraught with fallacy.
Indeed it can ...

It seems like you are cherry-picking facts - while ignoring others - to support your own preferred narrative.
Cherry picking? I didn't cherry pick anything. And I don't have a preferred narrative, I simply refuse to create a false premise so that I can reach a desired conclusion.

Same Snopes link you posted. It tells the tale of how the birther theory first emerged on FreeRepublic, and the fact that the Hillary Clinton supporters picked it up (being the irresistible "good ammo" that is was) and spread it via forwarded e-mails.
You left out the following parts that seems to shed a little more light on the rather simplistic rendition above:

"The likeliest point of origin we've been able to find was a post on conservative message board FreeRepublic.com dated 1 March 2008 (which, according to a report in The Telegraph, was at least a month before Clinton supporters got on the e-mail bandwagon):"

"The same rumor was repeated, with elaborations, four days later on the conservative blog Ruthless Roundup:"

Wanna make any bets on how far and wide - "into the wild" - that got spread ?
I didn't leave it out. I don't dispute at all the point of origin, nor that it was repeated on another Blog (or several). But it was still at that point contained to, for lack of a better word, wacko websites.

And this:

"The conspiracy theory was already fully formed at this point. Clearly, the Clinton supporters accused of spreading it via forwarded e-mails knew "good ammo" when they saw it, but, as the above posts show, they deserve neither credit nor blame for the invention of birtherism. "

Remember: the claim offered by you was that a Clinton supporter started it ...
That's the salient paragraph of my opinion and statement, thank you. Again, I do not dispute at all the origin of birtherism, nor that it was fully formed before the Clinton supporters picked it up. But no, I did not offer up a claim that a Clinton supporter started birtherism, I claimed they started the movement itself, i.e., "spreading it via forwarded e-mails..." Prior to all those emails going out, it was just another conspiracy theory sitting on a few wacko websites.

Can't have a movement without, you know, movement. The Clinton supporters moved it. They moved it from the pages of the FreeRepublic and out into the wild.
Any actual evidence of that ?

Or is it just another bit of "simple logic ... fraught with fallacy" ?
No, it's not a bit of simple logic fraught with fallacy (I think you're mixing posts together here, as the logical fallacy comment was about tax returns, not birtherism). The "actual evidence of that" is still right there on the same Snopes link you posted, final paragraph, the one you just got through posting. The only places that theory existed, before the Clinton supporters started a concerted campaign of spreading the theory by forwarding it via emails, was on FreeRepublic, Ruthless Roundup, and a handful of other right wing wacko websites. It was contained, to the caves and dens of right wing wackos, not out in the wild. But the spreading of the theory using emails is what got it outside of the confines of right wing wackodom and into the email boxes of those on the outside. And it was the spreading of those emails that started the movement. Not the theory, but the movement.

The Snopes piece makes it very clear that the Clinton supporters did not invent the notion of birtherism, but it also makes it just as clear that it was the Clinton supporters that spread the theory via email. The Snopes site does not directly address started the actual Birther Movement, other than by direct inference where they note, twice, that Clinton supporters were the ones spreading the birther theory. Before those emails went out, there was no movement of the theory, and no Birther Movement (a group of people working together to advance their shared political, social, or artistic ideas).

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Actually, my statement is a very accurate statement.
Well mebbe not ... since you saw fit to include cabinet officers ...

In fact, the piece you cited below actually disagrees with your original characterization, in that particular regard:

I found a pretty good Bloomberg piece that lays it all out, including the history of the federal conflict of interest laws, and does so specifically with the potential issues a Trump presidency would create.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't suspect he will.
I'm fairly certain he won't ...

And it's my guess that the reason he won't is that it will illustrate that much of what he has told folks about his personal wealth is an utter fantasy ...
One thing to keep in mind is, if elected, you (and me and all of us) will get all of that information. It likely won't be in the form of tax returns, but the Ethics in Government Act requires the president (among many others) to fill out financial disclosure forms "which include the sources and amounts of income, gifts, reimbursements, the identity and approximate value of property held and liabilities owed, transactions in property, commodities, and securities, and certain financial interests of a spouse or dependent."

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, my statement is a very accurate statement.
Well mebbe not ... since you saw fit to include cabinet officers ...
I included cabinet members, as well as "others in appointed and elected positions" because they are not exempt from the federal conflict of interest laws. My statement my be somewhat confusing (tho no less accurate) because I included Congress in the original statement, and probably shouldn't have, but I did so because of the congressional rules regarding conflicts of interest which makes congressional members in effect subject to the same federal conflict of interest laws (mostly). While Congress, like the President, are in fact exempt from the federal conflict of interest laws, Congress nevertheless is more or less subject to the same restrictions as the federal statues (although not the same penalties) by virtue of their own congressional rules on the matter.

In fact, the piece you cited below actually disagrees with your original characterization, in that particular regard:

I found a pretty good Bloomberg piece that lays it all out, including the history of the federal conflict of interest laws, and does so specifically with the potential issues a Trump presidency would create.
I really don't think so. I'd need to see where the article mentions cabinet members as being exempt. The sentence..."Federal conflict-of-interest laws dating from the Civil War era prevent unelected officials who work in the executive branch [that would include cabinet members] from collecting income from outside businesses and in government decisions that might affect their private financial interests." ...seems to not disagree with my original characterization at all.

I'm gonna chalk that one up to bad wording on my part.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Interesting. Didn't know too much on the UK stuff. Just highlights basically. May have to look at some of it closer. If it was a different democratic candidate, it might have received more traction. With all the Hillary baggage, they are trying to push it but not sure they are getting the response they had hoped for. Now we seem committed to the sex talk agenda.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On a not unrelated topic, Trump couldn't get Nancy O'Dell, despite taking her furniture shopping, because she was married. She had just wed Keith Zubulevich in 2005. It is reported as confirmed that Nancy and Keith have separated. So, hey Donald, she's available, almost. Will be soon. Get warmed up in the bullpen, dood. There's a stray kitten to be grabbed.

In a story that should have been about 6 sentences long, Gossip Cop (co-founded by Dan Abrams) couldn't resist in getting in a little anti-Trump action. :clapping-happy:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One good thing about this election, the paper bag business is booming

892470dd1cd6b60d6d906f47394cf0ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: RLENT and TDave

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
......, especially when the MSM tells them what all to be outraged at.

Speaking of.......

Trump Supporters Launch Effort To Take The Right To Vote Away From Women
Remember when a Clinton supporter started the whole Birther Movement? Dismissed by the media as not having anything to do with Clinton herself. Look at the lede in the story above... (emphasis mine)
"If you were asking yourself, how could Donald Trump and his supporters could make things worse? The answer came in an effort by online Trump supporters take the right to vote away from women."

The MSM has been attacking Trump's supporters since January. They've stepped it up these last few months.
One thing I noticed is the media will say that Trump 'began his campaign with the Birther theme as his catalyst'. Very dishonest. Yes he questioned Obama's birth certificate back in 2011, but that has little to do with his popularity when he began his campaign in 2015. Illegal immigration/ border security theme was the catalyst for his campaign.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Gary keeps looking better maybe it's time to shake them up in Washington
Lol if trump winning wouldn't be shaking up Washington I'm not sure what is. Remember Johnson is a politician

Sent from my SM-G925T using EO Forums mobile app
Trump is shaking up Washington and we're witnessing how both parties are reacting to it. However, there are several of us here that remember the politics of personal destruction employed by the Clintons in the '90s and their game plan hasn't changed much. Trump isn't a typical Washington politician and their strategy may not work as well with him, even with the mainstream media playing along with the Clintons.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Just when you thought it couldn't get any more bizarre, the Trump campaign is evidently offering up a self-professed pimp and procurer of young boys for British politicians as a character witness and "evidence" against one of his accusers ...

What the ... ?

How in the name of anything that could be considered even remotely sane could anyone associated with the campaign - let alone at a senior level - think this was a smart idea ?

Where was all the oppo research on this whack job from his opponents during the primary?

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how many right wing sheeple will fail to see the humor.

Probably nearly all of them ... since they are, after all, sheeple ...

I am however encouraged to see that humor isn't a completely lost art on the political right ...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Interesting. Didn't know too much on the UK stuff. Just highlights basically. May have to look at some of it closer.
By all means ...

If it was a different democratic candidate, it might have received more traction. With all the Hillary baggage, they are trying to push it but not sure they are getting the response they had hoped for.
Who pray tell is "they" ... and how exactly are "they" (whoever "they" might be) trying to "push it" ?

Now we seem committed to the sex talk agenda.
Where's Jerry Springer when ya really need him eh ?