The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
He has had over 80 rallies since taking office. If he has been doing so why hasn't there been widespread violence by Trump supporters at those previous rallies?
Most of Trump's rallies happened before Election Day 2020. While Trump talked often about a rigged election before then, things changed when the votes were counted and Biden won. Many who believed the Trump story grew angry when the networks called it for Biden. They grew more angry when states certified the election results. Those who stormed the Capital acted on that anger as Congress began its work to certify the Electoral College vote.

Why was there not widespread violence at previous rallies? At previous rallies, there was no conflict between election stories (Biden won, Trump won), and at previous rallies, Trump supporters did not see people proclaiming Biden as the president-elect on his way to the White House, when they wanted to believe Trump actually won.

This is really difficult for the Trump true believers. They want to believe Trump won. They want to believe Trump would somehow come up with a masterful way to hold the White House after Inauguration Day. But that's not how it's playing out. Every passing day shows Biden moving closer to the Oval Office. But in many MAGA minds, that's not how it should be. Trump won, they believe. And it's frustrating -- angering -- seeing Biden act as if he won the election and government officials going along to seat him on 1/20.

Some of these people are our friends and neighbors. We work with them. We drive on the same streets. We shop in the same grocery stores. As the nation moves in a direction they dislike, I am mindful of their pain. I believe time heals all wounds. I trust that with the passage of time, they will feel better, even if the election result is not to their liking.

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That requires a presumption that all violence that might have resulted took place at a rally.

Obviously, that wouldn't necessarily be true ... some violence could occur at later times and different locations ... where better, easier targets (aka "targets of opportunity") were available.
There is scant evidence of that at best I would think.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Meet Peter Francis Stager of Arkansas - the fellow who beat down a Capitol Policeman with an American flag:

He seems ... nice.

Some folks probably want you to believe he's Anti-fa ... somehow I rather kind of doubt it.

Peter wants you to know that it was all just a big case of mistaken identity: ... he thought the policeman that he tried to beat to death was Anti-fa ...

Understandable mistake ... policeman was wearing black - and that's what Anti-fa does, never mind that it was a black police uniform.

The good news is that this domestic terrorist is now in custody.
Throw the book at that nut.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding violence, there has been more than enough of it to go around. We saw violence at the Unite the Right event in Virginia. We saw violence after the George Floyd killing. We saw violence at the Capitol on Jan 6. This is called civil disorder. It is by its very nature disorderly, which makes it hard to neatly say only this group was involved or only people of a certain sort.

I'm not sure how helpful it is arguing about who is to blame in what setting or who was wrong or criminal. We have prosecutors and courts and impeachment trials for that. I'm more interested in looking ahead. I'm interested in seeing my friends and neighbors calm down so we can enjoy our daily lives more, instead of letting intense and divisive political conversations dominate the day.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Most of Trump's rallies happened before Election Day 2020. While Trump talked often about a rigged election before then, things changed when the votes were counted and Biden won. Many who believed the Trump story grew angry when the networks called it for Biden. They grew more angry when states certified the election results. Those who stormed the Capital acted on that anger as Congress began its work to certify the Electoral College vote.

Why was there not widespread violence at previous rallies? At previous rallies, there was no conflict between election stories (Biden won, Trump won), and at previous rallies, Trump supporters did not see people proclaiming Biden as the president-elect on his way to the White House, when they wanted to believe Trump actually won.

This is really difficult for the Trump true believers. They want to believe Trump won. They want to believe Trump would somehow come up with a masterful way to hold the White House after Inauguration Day. But that's not how it's playing out. Every passing day shows Biden moving closer to the Oval Office. But in many MAGA minds, that's not how it should be. Trump won, they believe. And it's frustrating -- angering -- seeing Biden act as if he won the election and government officials going along to seat him on 1/20.

Some of these people are our friends and neighbors. We work with them. We drive on the same streets. We shop in the same grocery stores. As the nation moves in a direction they dislike, I am mindful of their pain. I believe time heals all wounds. I trust that with the passage of time, they will feel better, even if the election result is not to their liking.

A number of my neighbors - including my neighbor directly next to us - were/are Trump supporters (I know by yard signs, only two of which are still up)

One guy on the street - who I have spoken and met - even had a Trump/Pence flag.

I'm sure it's hard ... particularly for those deeply invested.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
There is scant evidence of that at best I would think.

The evidence would most likely be of an indirect nature, like say a rise in violence from extreme rightwing factions and white supremacists - which corresponded with the election and term of Donald Trump.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Regarding violence, there has been more than enough of it to go around. We saw violence at the Unite the Right event in Virginia. We saw violence after the George Floyd killing. We saw violence at the Capitol on Jan 6. This is called civil disorder. It is by its very nature disorderly, which makes it hard to neatly say only this group was involved or only people of a certain sort.

I'm not sure how helpful it is arguing about who is to blame in what setting or who was wrong or criminal. We have prosecutors and courts and impeachment trials for that. I'm more interested in looking ahead. I'm interested in seeing my friends and neighbors calm down so we can enjoy our daily lives more, instead of letting intense and divisive political conversations dominate the day.
Your friends and neighbors aren't calm now?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The evidence would most likely be of an indirect nature, like say a rise in violence from extreme rightwing factions and white supremacists - which corresponded with the election and term of Donald Trump.
This is a fallacy.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
People should be aware that there is a large, diverse coalition of private individuals working using open-source intelligence to identify the individuals responsible for this assault on our Nation's Capitol.

It's actually a pretty amazing effort ... by folks operating with no remuneration or compensation - at considerable risk to themselves, up to and including threats of violence and death.