The Trump Card...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just throwing this question out there. Has Mueller's investigation veered out of control, crossed ethical lines and become a partisan witch hunt?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just throwing this question out there. Has Mueller's investigation veered out of control, crossed ethical lines and become a partisan witch hunt?
Not sure I would say it is out of control, but I would say it has strayed into other places than what was originally intended. Under that premise it could be considered a witch hunt. Is it partisan? Parts are leaning that way but more information coming should answer that. Just my observation up to this point.
As for Cohen, he looks to be the fall guy if anything criminal shows up. They haven't charged him with anything but it is too early on where that goes.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Seizing all of Cohen's documents is a trojan horse way of stumbling upon anything to do with Trump's business dealings. An opposition research enterprise in full bloom now.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Imo, Rosenstein is on his way out soon.

Probably will have no practical effect on the investigation - it will go on regardless ... and for that matter, nor would Mueller's firing.

Can't undue what's already been done.

The damage to the rule of law and the institutions of American government will be incalculable however (assuming RR or Mueller is fired)

Looking forward to Comey singing on Sunday.

Could be some "tail wagging the dog" action before then however.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Seizing all of Cohen's documents is a trojan horse way of stumbling upon anything to do with Trump's business dealings. An opposition research enterprise in full bloom now.

Seizing all of Cohen's documents is a good way of making sure he didn't destroy any evidence of illegal acts ...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
As for Cohen, he looks to be the fall guy if anything criminal shows up.
Lil' Mikey appears to be in a world of legal hurt ... and he ain't the only one ... if'n you get my drift.

To that point:

Why Trump Is Panicking

They haven't charged him with anything but it is too early on where that goes.
His colonoscopy is not yet complete ... give it a little more time ...

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I do not think so and recent developments support my view.

First, it's worth noting that Muller is a Republican who, even now, is highly praised by certain high-ranking Republicans. While other Republicans are critical, it's difficult to make a logical case against Muller on simple partisanship grounds.

Regarding ethical lines, we'd first need to know what ethical line or lines exactly you are talking about. "Ethical lines" is a broad term. A clear answer is not possible without a question that is itself more clear.

Regarding "witch hunt," that too is a broad term. Before agreeing or disagreeing that the Muller investigation is a witch hunt, we'd need to know exactly what you mean by the term. I looked up the term in Wikipedia and a couple of dictionaries. If those definitions are used, I would say the carefully-conducted, Justice Department-supervised, and court-influenced investigation is not a witch hunt. While Trump loves the term, labeling Muller's investigation a witch hunt does not make it so.

Regarding control, Muller's office did not obtain the search warrant in which a federal magistrate permitted the FBI raid of Cohen's home, office and hotel room. It seems Muller's team came across information that gave them reason to believe certain crimes have been committed, but investigating those was outside Muller's mandate. Accordingly, they referred the matter to the New York Southeastern District. That office, (led by a Trump appointee who Trump personally interviewed before appointing him, and who recused himself from this matter) obtained the search warrant and conducted the raid.

In this example, Muller exercised restraint to stay within his mandate as he perceives it. Eventually, we'll all be in a better position to answer your question. But for that to happen, the public must know what was investigated and why, and how the decisions were made to follow the investigative tracks that were followed. I expect that info to become available when Muller issues his report and it finds its way into public view. Until then, we can't properly answer your question because we don't know what the Muller team is doing. We get glimpses from time to time, but by its very nature, the full story cannot be known until the report is issued.

In the meantime, my opinion of what is developing is strongly influenced by Trump's behavior and comments. His words and actions are not those an objective observer would expect from an innocent man.

Finally, it's important to note that the NY SE District office is not investigating Trump. It raided Cohen's office, home and hotel room, not Trump Tower. The Justice Department has had it's eye on Cohen for a long time. For more about that, see this: A Brief History of Michael Cohen's Criminal Ties

Depending on what is developed by those investigating Cohen, Trump may be implicated, but we're not there yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Imo, Rosenstein is on his way out soon.

Probably will have no practical effect on the investigation - it will go on regardless ... and for that matter, nor would Mueller's firing.

Can't undue what's already been done.

The damage to the rule of law and the institutions of American government will be incalculable however (assuming RR or Mueller is fired)

Looking forward to Comey singing on Sunday.

Could be some "tail wagging the dog" action before then however.

Tail wagging the dog. Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Mueller and Rosenstein have already damaged the institutions. So both should be fired for that. Sessions should be fired because he has been incompetent and his erroneous recusal started this whole ball of wax in the first place. So fire Rosenstein and Sessions. Recess appoint Sessions' replacement and shut down this clown show SC investigation in short order. Democrats will look to impeach regardless of what Trump does, just out of hatred for him, so they can go ahead if they want. Doubt the Senate would follow them though.
That way Trump can get back to running the country without this distraction that should have never started in the first place.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sessions should be fired because he has been incompetent and his erroneous recusal started this whole ball of wax in the first place.

Trump can fire Sessions anytime he wants to, for any reason or for no reason. Why has he not done so?

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sessions should be fired because he has been incompetent and his erroneous recusal started this whole ball of wax in the first place.

Trump can fire Sessions anytime he wants to, for any reason or for no reason. Why has he not done so?
Mostly political reasons up to this point. Sessions was seen as popular among conservatives. But I sense that has changed with even some of his longtime friends (30 years)such as conservative Mark Levin. He said Sessions should step down because the DOJ is out of control.
I concur. And I initially didnt want Sessions to be fired.
Trump chose Sessions as AG, not to be a part time one. He unnecessarily recused himself ( a sign of incompetence for the job) almost immediately after he became AG and his replacement deputy was consistently pressured by fired G man McCabe to appoint a SC. It has a mandate that doesn't even name a crime to investigate, which is required. (Another sign of incompetence for the job) but also adds a sentence at the end that in essence gives a green light to investigate inperpetuity. It's as if McCabe helped him write the SC mandate.
So Trump should have someone as his AG that can do the job full time and do it competently.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Mostly political reasons up to this point. Sessions was seen as popular among conservatives. But I sense that has changed with even some of his longtime friends (30 years)such as conservative Mark Levin. He said Sessions should step down because the DOJ is out of control.
I concur. And I initially didnt want Sessions to be fired.
Trump chose Sessions as AG, not to be a part time one. He unnecessarily recused himself ( a sign of incompetence for the job) almost immediately after he became AG and his replacement deputy was consistently pressured by fired G man McCabe to appoint a SC. It has a mandate that doesn't even name a crime to investigate, which is required. (Another sign of incompetence for the job) but also adds a sentence at the end that in essence gives a green light to investigate inperpetuity. It's as if McCabe helped him write the SC mandate.
So Trump should have someone as his AG that can do the job full time and do it competently.

He should replace Sessions but not until after the investigations. To do so now would be counter productive.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Tail wagging the dog. Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Mueller and Rosenstein have already damaged the institutions. So both should be fired for that. Sessions should be fired because he has been incompetent and his erroneous recusal started this whole ball of wax in the first place. So fire Rosenstein and Sessions. Recess appoint Sessions' replacement and shut down this clown show SC investigation in short order. Democrats will look to impeach regardless of what Trump does, just out of hatred for him, so they can go ahead if they want. Doubt the Senate would follow them though.
That way Trump can get back to running the country without this distraction that should have never started in the first place.

The Clown Show that needs shutdown is in the White House, not at the DOJ ...

If you want to talk about damage to institutions, then Cheeto is the guy ...

Comey singing ... ABC ... Sunday ... book hits the store shelves on Tuesday.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
He should replace Sessions but not until after the investigations. To do so now would be counter productive.

Replacement could be complicated by required Senate confirmation ... particularly now that the corruption that Pruitt has been involved in @ EPA is getting some light shown on it.

If he's forced to resign, he won't be available to be slid over to DOJ.

The confirmation problem could get worse after the mid-terms.

Limited pool of qualified, experienced professional candidates ... given the fact that many top tier R's want nothing to do with the chit show that is the current White House ... so you're left with the 3rd, 4th tier (or worse) MAGA crowd ... who are basically unqualified for the level of positions that need to be filled.

The idea of Ben Carson or Betsy DeVos running DOJ wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence I would think ...

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Replacement could be complicated by required Senate confirmation ... particularly now that the corruption that Pruitt has been involved in @ EPA is getting some light shown on it.

If he's forced to resign, he won't be available to be slid over to DOJ.

The confirmation problem could get worse after the mid-terms.

Limited pool of qualified, experienced professional candidates ... given the fact that many top tier R's want nothing to do with the chit show that is the current White House ... so you're left with the 3rd, 4th tier (or worse) MAGA crowd ... who are basically unqualified for the level of positions that need to be filled.

The idea of Ben Carson or Betsy DeVos running DOJ wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence I would think ...

He's receiving death threats from wackos so the security detail is justified.