The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Did you copyright that term?

In reply to you and Turtle, no, I did not copyright the term. Until Turtle mentioned it, I did not know super-narcissist is in an urban dictionary. For me, the term came to mind and I started using it because it expresses my view. It does not surprise me a bit that others see fit to use the term too.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Since we're on the topic, let's have some fun with the Trump super-narcissist notion.

It appears that the House will take up the Russia sanctions bill this week and both houses are likely to place a veto-proof bill on the president's desk for him to sign. This bill expresses the deep concern both Republican-controlled bodies have about Russian interference in U.S. elections; and the apparent concern they seem to have that Trump will give Russia a pass on this. Their response is a bill that restricts/weakens the president's power in this area.

The White House staff signaled this weekend that Trump will sign the bill. Some commentators think he has little choice since the bill is likely to be passed by a veto-proof vote in both chambers. The Senate version passed 98-2. If the House expresses similar support and Trump vetoes the bill, he would face an embarrassing defeat at the hands of his fellow Republicans when the veto is overridden. If he signs the bill, he will restrict/weaken his foreign policy powers and be forced to acknowledge that Russia must be punished for its election interference.

At least that's the way things seem to be shaping up this weekend. Assuming the bill moves to the president's desk as expected, what do you think Trump will say? What do you think he will do? How do you think he'll react?

I am confident enough in my super-narcissist view of the man to predict that he'll likely sign the bill and say some positive things about it, but beneath the surface, he'll resent this rebuke. Full-blown narcissists do not keep their resentment in for long. They attack their perceived enemies, which in this case will be the Republicans who he will believe betrayed him by forcing him to do something that diminishes Trump.

I predict that, after this eats at him for a while, Trump will lash out at his fellow Republicans in a Trump-harmful and Republican-harmful way. Or, his anger may come out sideways and we'll see him more animated than usual attacking a different but convenient target.

This won't be fake news or a Democratic distraction. It won't be about the investigations. The Republican-controlled congress will place a real bill on the president's desk that diminishes his foreign policy powers and standing in the public eye. Watch for narcissist Trump to take it personally and lash out in unhelpful ways at his fellow Republicans,

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pretty nifty. I like how you did that. You have managed to set the stage so that if, at any time in the future, Trump lashes out at any targer for any reason, you can claim he is doing so because of his internal rage at being hamstrung by Congress in his foreign policy dealings with these particular Russian sanctions. Bravo and brava.

The White House has already said that Trump intends to sign the bill. Trump agrees with these particular sanctions, and is fine with how the restrictions on his ability to remove or modify the sancations is handled in the bill. The White House iinitially objected to the restrictions on the president, as presidents are wont to do, but worked with the Senate and the House to make the changes that were acceptable both to Congress and the White House. The changes were such that even the Dems didn't balk at them.

The same kinds of restrictions were placed on Obama's ability to lift or modify sanctions against Iran a couple of years ago. Congress has placed similar restrictions on certain sanctions on other presidents. Sanctions can be imposed either by executive order or by congressional legislation. Congress tends to be a little more protective of the sanctions which originate with Congress. One thing that congressional restictions on the president regardling sanctions does is, it actually frees up the president a great deal. If the target of the sanctions complains, the president can just shrug his shoulders and go, "Hey, it's out of my hands. Talk to Congress about it."

I think Trump will sign the bill with the appropriate accompanying statements, not consider it a rebuke at all, and move on. If, for some reason, he wants to make a symbolic statement that he doesn't agree with the sanctions or the restrictions, he could simply not sign the bill at all. Ten days later it becomes law, anyway, with or without his signature. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In regards to Mr A Team about lashing out, didn't Mr T tweet something this weekend about The Republicans need to start supporting HIM?
"It’s very sad that Republicans, even some that were carried over the line on my back, do very little to protect their President."

They know who they are.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I think Trump will sign the bill with the appropriate accompanying statements, not consider it a rebuke at all, and move on.

I see it otherwise. Time will tell which of us has the better Trump insight. Both of us see him signing the bill (or letting it become law without signature). You see him accepting the result and moving on. I see him resenting the result and lashing out.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If he is to go after fellow republicans, I don't think the sanctions is where he will do it. More than likely on that it will be healthcare.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You see him accepting the result and moving on. I see him resenting the result and lashing out.
Thanks to the stage you have set and the criteria you will use, I predict you will be 100% correct in your vision.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump's recent comments and tweets about Sessions leave me confused. Sessions was the first U.S. senator to back Trump. Now Trump is openly critical of Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia investigation and further critical because Sessions "... has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes..." In another tweet, Trump publicly characterizes Sessions as "beleaguered." In yet another tweet Trump called out Sessions for not investigating Ukraine efforts to sabotage the Trump campaign.

About Trump and Sessions, Trump's new communications guy, Scaramucci, said, "They need to sit down face to face and have a reconciliation and a discussion of the future," he said. "They need to speak and determine what the future of the relationship looks like."

The thing that has me confused is Trump's leadership approach. Does Trump not have Sessions' phone #? Can Trump not call a meeting? Why does Trump use Twitter and the public domain to question and criticize Sessions, his personal pick for A.G., when he could do so in a more private, professional and (I believe) Trump-helpful way? How does Trump help himself, Sessions and the country by going after Sessions in this way?

Over the years I have received leadership training from the U.S. Army and various business and religious entities. I have read a number of books on the topic. None of those say leaders get things done by publicly berating their team members.

What does Trump hope to gain by doing so with Sessions? Trump can ask Sessions to resign anytime but he has not done so. Trump is obviously keeping Sessions around and kicking him around for a reason. Why? What is Trump up to really? Is Trump trying to turn his base against Sessions? If so, how does that help Trump or the country? If not, why is Trump talking and tweeting about Sessions in this fashion?

I'm at a loss to understand this behavior in a way that is complimentary to Trump. How do Trump supporters explain Trump's behavior toward Sessions? Does Trump have something going on here that I am blind to? How do we understand Trump's behavior toward Sessions in a Trump-complimentary way?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and How about that Boy Scout Jamboree speech! What a disappointing appearance for Trump....

AND
The latest data from WardsAuto shows that U.S. light-vehicle manufacturing fell 5% during the first six months of this year from a year earlier, as auto makers shed workers or scheduled significant downtime to counter a slowdown in demand for sedans.
Separate U.S. trade data shows that the value of light-vehicle imports from Mexico to the U.S. ballooned 40% through May.
A move by auto makers to produce some popular sport-utility models in Mexican factories helped spur a 16% increase in production of light vehicles in Mexico during the first six months of the year compared with the same period in 2016
More U.S. Cars Are Being Made in Mexico

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of course Tucker had one of his "expert consultants" on regarding healthcare....He knew nothing bout the Canadian system other then what supported Tuckers rantings....sad

The fact that each province/state manages thier care NOT the federal government was a fact completely lost on them...each province pays for what the tax base can afford. Like here the federal government is restricted from running a National program in the Constitution....see States rights.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Have you noticed the relative media silence regarding Jared Kushner? Yesterday, ahead of his voluntary appearance before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Kushner released a long statement explaining many of the things the press (and investigators, I presume) are looking into. The statement was comprehensive and reasonably detailed. The press found no bombshells or smoking guns in it and they went essentially silent.

In other words, Kushner came clean and offered plausible explainations. The press, finding nothing to pursue, shifted the spotlight off Kushner, at least for now. Today, Kushner appeared under oath in a House committee closed session. It appears he handled himself well. No one came out of that event breathing fire against him or Trump.

Donald Trump Sr. and others close to him would do well to learn this lesson. If there is nothing there, offer a comprehensive, plausible explanation. Cooperate with the investigators and put this matter to rest. And if there is something there, do the same thing to put this Russia thing behind us and move the country forward.

How much easier would it have been for Hillary to fess up early about her server? She chose instead to deny, delay and defend ad nauseum to her detriment and the country's. Kushner's approach is the better approach. Donald Trump, Sr. and others close to him would well to follow the example Kushner set.

I have never had a strong opinion one way or another abut Kushner. I gained some respect for him yesterday.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm not alone in believing that Trump is doing himself no favors by kicking Sessions around like a stray dog. There is no master plan and Trump is not crazy like a fox. In this case, he's just crazy to work against his own best interests like this.

"President Trump’s decision Tuesday to attack Attorney General Jeff Sessions over Sessions’ “position” on Hillary Clinton’s various scandals only serves to highlight Trump’s own hypocrisy on the issue — and is likely to fuel concerns from his base who see Sessions at the best hope to fulfill Trump’s immigration policies." Source: Breitbart News

"The attack on Tuesday prompted an outpouring of support for Sessions among his former colleagues in the Senate, where he served for 20 years before resigning to become attorney general, and left scores of other Republicans aghast at Trump’s willingness to attack one of his most loyal campaign supporters." Source: Washington Post

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If there is no rational explanation for Trump's treatment of Sessions, that leaves the irrational. What he's doing makes little sense to most people but it makes perfect sense to a super-narcissist. His behavior is thereby explained.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I happened to see part of John McCain's speech today while eating a late lunch. It is one of the most moving political speeches I have heard in a very long time. It literally brought tears to my eyes. The president delayed his White House press conference today to wait for the speech to be done. Reporters said Trump watched the speech. He is speaking at a rally in Ohio tonight. It will be interesting to see if any part of McCain's speech got through to the president.

The speech is about 15:30 long. Take the time to listen to the whole thing. We don't hear 'em like this very often. Shepard Smith said on Fox News when the speech was done that it was one for the ages. I think so too.

Reactions: Turtle