The Trump Card...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have commented about Trump's health and fitness before. This info from Politico provides an additional indicator:

During his visit to Saudi Arabia in May, rather than walk, the president hopped a ride in a cart as he toured the National Museum in Riyadh. And a few days later, while six other world leaders at a G-7 summit in Sicily walked 700 yards up a slight hill to a photo-op, Trump followed behind for at least part of the way in, yes, another golf cart.

As a gym owner, I have a pro-fitness bias. Most presidents are physically fit and active and in that set a good example for the country. I'd love to see Trump do something to improve his health and fitness.
He's overweight and doesn't exercise much, but he's also a non smoker and doesn't drink any alcohol. He may have good genes as well. His blood pressure and other numbers from his blood work impressed Dr Oz a while back.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Left is throwing anything and everything up aganst the wall to see if anything sticks. They couldn't beat him in November, even with the help of the press. Then they tried to rig the Electoral College. Boy, they really wanted that one bad. They were drooling over that one. He's a Putin Puppet. Putin hacked the election. They demonized Bannon to the point where even Jerry Sandusky is like, "Dayum." They want Kushner's security clearance so bad they can taste it. They want to make it illegal to not have at least two televised press conferences per week. They want Donald Jr shot for treason, because, you know, every Russian is connected to Putin, and when you meet with a Russian it's treason. They're riding Ivanka like a 25 cent grocery store pony (thought I was gonna say something else, didn't ya?). They're trying the ol' physically unfit to execute the oath of office thing because he rides in a golf cart even when he's not playing golf. They're still holding out hope for the mentally unfit for office thing. He puts ketchup on well done steak and that's just crazy. He fired the FBI director, so obstruction of justice, even though he's the only person on the planet who is allowed to fire the FBI director. He's deporting illegal aliens, and that's just Unamerican and not presidential at all, because, you know, we're a country of immigrants, even though we're really not. He's just not normal, so he simply needs to go, even though he was explicitly elected because America is sick and tired of normal. After FDR tooling around in a wheelchair I really don't think this golf cart things has legs, but they're gonna run that out as far as they can, too.

It's a shame, I guess, that the Founding Fathers didn't put narcissism in the Constitution as a disqualifier for high office. They were going to, but then, I think it was John Adams, who pointed out that if they did that they wouldn't have any Senators or House Representatives, eitther.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Could be lunacy or it could be someone running the Trump Show is crazy. Crazy like a fox. I mean, they can't all be morons can they? It was the vast amount of media attention, whether positive or negative, that helped Trump get elected.

That's true and there is no way to refute the theory that behind the craziness, Trump is crazy like a fox; a crafty, intentional person who is working seemingly negative things to his advantage. That theory can only be answered with another theory, which itself would be irrefutable because there is no way to disprove it.

I did not offer a theory above. I simply asked why Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot when he does not have to. It makes no sense to me; thus the question.

While there is no question that the negative publicity Trump produced in the campaign helped him win, it helped him win by first stealing the limelight from his Republican primary rivals and later by leveling devastating attacks against Hillary. But it's different now. As president, Trump has no campaign rival to defeat. Instead, he has the responsibility to govern. His continuing willingness to aid and abet the negative coverage the anti-Trump media are so willing to provide cannot be helpful in any way I see.

As president, Trump has the ability influence if not outright control the news cycle. I do not understand why now president Trump continues to focus on the Russia thing and thereby fan the flames. It frustrates me because it makes no sense.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I really don't think this golf cart things has legs, but they're gonna run that out as far as they can, too.

I don't know what "the left" wants to do with the golf cart thing (Trump taking a cart when other world leaders walked 700 yards). I'm simply observing this fact. It jumps out to me because I'm a gym owner. Health and fitness is on my mind all day every day. For three years I have seen people of all ages and fitness levels come to the gym to improve their health. If Trump walked in, I'd do what I do for all deconditioned males. I'd connect him with a personal fitness trainer who would do an assessment, then develop a helpful fitness routine for him to follow, then take him onto the gym floor to teach him how to properly, safely and effectively do the recommended exercises.

When Diane and I were on the road, we saw numerous obese drivers labor mightily to get in and out of their trucks. We saw them grimace as they tried to move. We saw them take every shortcut they could to avoid that pain. We saw them struggle even when getting in and out of the restaurant booth where they consumed their buffet meals. Seeing our weight increasing, we joined Anytime Fitness because we did not want to end up like them.

I see the same thing in any public parking lot with four-wheel drivers. Now with a gym-owner's eye, I notice people's posture, gait, mobility, flexibility, strength, stamina, etc. Having seen people move from unhealthy to healthy and feel better than they have in decades, I wish everyone could do the same.

To me, there's nothing political about Trump's health and fitness level and habits. I wish for him what I wish for all; good health. I hope for him what I hope for all; that he might one day see the health and fitness light and commit his mind and body to an improved and more enjoyable way of being.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I really don't think this golf cart things has legs, but they're gonna run that out as far as they can, too.

I don't know what "the left" wants to do with the golf cart thing (Trump taking a cart when other world leaders walked 700 yards). I'm simply observing this fact. It jumps out to me because I'm a gym owner. Health and fitness is on my mind all day every day. For three years I have seen people of all ages and fitness levels come to the gym to improve their health. If Trump walked in, I'd do what I do for all deconditioned males. I'd connect him with a personal fitness trainer who would do an assessment, then develop a helpful fitness routine for him to follow, then take him onto the gym floor to teach him how to properly, safely and effectively do the recommended exercises.

When Diane and I were on the road, we saw numerous obese drivers labor mightly to get in and out of their trucks. We saw them grimace as they tried to move. We saw them take every shortcut they could to avoid that pain. Seeing our weight increasing, we joined Anytime Fitness because we did not want to end up like them.

I see the same thing in any public parking lot with four-wheel drivers. Now with a gym-owner's eye, I notice people's posture and gait. Having seen people move from unhealthy to healthy and feel better than they have in decades, I wish everyone could do the same.

To me, there's nothing political about Trump's health and fitness level and habits. I wish for him what I wish for all; good health. I hope for him what I hope for all; that he might one day see the health and fitness light and commit his mind and body to an improved and more enjoyable way of being.
The media is making it a political thing. Two scoops of ice cream for him. Everyone else one scoop. They hid Hillary's health problems. Or at least didn't report much on it.

Reactions: davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The media is making it a political thing. Two scoops of ice cream for him. Everyone else one scoop. They hid Hillary's health problems. Or at least didn't report much on it.

I get that. My point is simply that Trump's health is not a political thing for me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know what "the left" wants to do with the golf cart thing
The same thing they want to do with the 2 scoops of ice cream versus everyone else getting one - get as much negative mileage out of it as they can, then move on to something else.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't know what "the left" wants to do with the golf cart thing
The same thing they want to do with the 2 scoops of ice cream versus everyone else getting one - get as much negative mileage out of it as they can, then move on to something else.

OK. I guess I do know that "the left" wants to do and you are correct. They will never miss a chance to cast anything in the most Trump-negative light they can. Sorta like Trump did with the Obama birther thing and virtually everything else he said about Obama during the campaign and before.

In that regard, I feel zero sympathy for Trump and the negative characterizations he receives. It's karma. What goes around comes around. The left is being no less vicious and unfair against Trump than Trump himself has been to his opponents.

Another piece of this is it goes with the territory. Of the 45 presidents who have served, some were more respected than others by the general public. But even they received a perpetual stream of vicious and unfair characterizations. Whoever the president is, and no matter how worthy of respect he or she may be, the president will always have critics; some of whom will be vicious and unfair. That's not about Trump. That's just the way it is for any president.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After FDR tooling around in a wheelchair I really don't think this golf cart things has legs, but they're gonna run that out as far as they can, too.
FDR gets a pass because he was a Democrat and Democrats are the champions of those with disabilities. At least those people with disabilities that share the same political beliefs.

“No one should face discrimination based on disability status. Democrats are committed to realizing the full promise of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We will protect and expand the right of Americans with disabilities to get the accommodations and support they need.”
Democratic Party Platform

Democrats value the positive contributions of everyone — parents, children, workers, and entrepreneurs—and among us, there are approximately 57 million people in the United States with disabilities.
Democrats.org

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As president, Trump has the ability influence if not outright control the news cycle.
Seriously? Could it be you meant: "As president, Putin has the ability and influence, if not outright control of the news cycle."

ATeam said:
I do not understand why now president Trump continues to focus on the Russia thing and thereby fan the flames. It frustrates me because it makes no sense.
Why does the media continue to focus on it?

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The left is being no less vicious and unfair against Trump than Trump himself has been to his opponents.
That's probably true. But it is the media and I guess there is no real distinction between the media and the left that continues to relentlessly harass Trump.

ATeam said:
Another piece of this is it goes with the territory. Of the 45 presidents who have served, some were more respected than others by the general public. But even they received a perpetual stream of vicious and unfair characterizations. Whoever the president is, and no matter how worthy of respect he or she may be, the president will always have critics; some of whom will be vicious and unfair. That's not about Trump. That's just the way it is for any president.

Certainly criticism, unfair characterizations, etc.are part of the presidential landscape. In the not so distant past, at least where the media is concerned, that type of rhetoric wad limited to the editorial page and opinion pieces and were labeled as such. Today the line between factual reporting and opinion pieces by the main stream media is so blurred that it may not even exist with many MSM outlets.

Most of the frivolous criticism of Obama did not come from the mainstream media. One had to listen to shows like Rush Limbaugh or seek out right wing blogs.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Why does the media continue to focus on it?

With multiple, Republican-initiated investigations underway, the media will cover and speculate about them of course. However, there is much Trump could do to minimize the coverage and produce other stories that would dominate the news cycle and thereby reduce the negative results of the negative Russia-thing coverage.

We've seen it happen. He has done it before. He goes a day or two without tweeting or commenting about the Russia thing and does something else -- like a foreign trip or a factory tour -- to emphasize a different theme. The press follows the lead and little if anything is reported about the Russia thing.

When the media asks its provocative questions designed to fan the flames, the Trump administration could simply say "We have no comment about that. Today the president is focused on ________." When the question is repeated in a different way the response can be "again, we have no comment. Next question please."

A partial approach in this direction has been made in the White House briefing room when Trump's spokespeople decline comment and refer journalists to the attorney who is representing Trump in the matter. The problem is Trump himself can't stop tweeting and talking about it. If he could, the media focus would indeed shift to more favorable topics.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the not so distant past, at least where the media is concerned, that type of rhetoric wad limited to the editorial page and opinion pieces and were labeled as such. Today the line between factual reporting and opinion pieces by the main stream media is so blurred that it may not even exist with many MSM outlets.

I tend to agree. The media is more partisan now than it has been in my memory. The left and right have news outlets now that seem more like entertainment than news. I'm sure a bunch of books have already been written about this and I doubt that my comments here will provide anything new. My sense is the shift took place over a number of years as technology like cable and then the internet provided more outlets and increased the ability to attract an audience. Motivated by profit, organizations embraced the opportunity and used politically-motivated editorial voices to build audiences.

In the end, all news and political commentary is filler between the commercials. The bigger the audience, the better the paycheck.

While journalism still has a code of ethics, the days of the guaranteed audience are gone and objective reporting has given way to audience building.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Most of the frivolous criticism of Obama did not come from the mainstream media. One had to listen to shows like Rush Limbaugh or seek out right wing blogs.

1. What is the mainstream media? What does MSM mean when you use the term? What does it mean when Trump and his spokespeople use the term? I see that phrase used often but what does it mean exactly? If a news organization reports a fact that reflects negatively on Trump (like a court ruling that does not go in his favor), does that make it MSM by default? How does a given news organization become a member of MSM? If a news organization is MSM, does that mean it is automatically illegitimate because it is MSM?

When Diane and I lived in Minnesota, KSTP radio carried the Limbaugh show. It also carried Jesse Ventura. It also carried sports talk shows and the Associated Press news feed. Do you consider that station to be MSM? How does a news outlet come to be defined as MSM? Is KSTP a news outlet at all?

Is Fox News MSM? Is Fox fake news? What do these terms mean exactly? If Law and Order ran an episode that included an anti-Trump plot, would that be considered MSM? There are several comedians who run blistering, anti-Trump routines on late night TV. Are they MSM? If a liberal pastor preaches an anti-Trump sermon that is locally broadcast, is that MSM?

If I gave you a list of 10 shows, and asked you to categorize them as MSM or not MSM, what criteria would you use to decide?

2. You are correct about early sources of Obama criticism. However, that was then and this is now. Trump seems to revel in controversy. As president, he declared the media to be "The enemy of the American People." Trump made it personal. Once again, karma.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What does MSM mean when you use the term?
I thought that you being a health professional would be familiar with the abbreviation MSM. Those three letters are for the chemical compound methylsulfonylmethane. MSM is believed to help reduce the symptoms of arthritis, especially in people suffering from arthritis of the knees. I'm sure you have clients that use MSM and they could better explain what it is and how it works.

Reactions: blackpup