The State of Cargo Van Expediting

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Hawkeye: Turtle's comments describe my early adult years perfectly. I got married in 1964 and, as a young sailor, I spent four of my first seven months of marital bliss at sea while my new bride worked at her job in Boston, Mass. In 1965, I was transferred to a ship homeported in Hawaii. I left my pregnant wife at the dock on the day of our arrival in Honolulu and didn't return for six months. Three or four months later, after a couple of two-three week absences, I sailed again for another six months. Some months later, I left her in Hawaii for four and a half months of temporary duty in Virginia. The next year and a half we had a relatively calm homelife with my absences occurring about an average of two weeks at sea each month. The calmness ended and I was ordered to a 13 month tour in southeast Asia. A year and a half after my return, we parted with an amicable divorce after nearly ten years of repeated absences with, as my wife stated, little hope of a steady homelife with a father and husband being home for his family. I was too young, perhaps, to appreciate the wisdom of those words.

The life of a military spouse and family is little different than that of a truck driver's family. Frequent and lengthy absences from home are the personal price we pay to earn enough money to provide financial security for our families. It takes an extremely strong relationship for a husband and wife to overcome the small paychecks, the last minute departures and the long separations.

The strain on a marriage though, is nothing compared to the strain on the children. It takes constant and consistent attention to properly rear a child from infancy to socially acceptable adulthood. Children need more than a father, they need a daddy, day and night.

Rene' and I succeeded in expediting because we were in this together. We traveled together and nurtured our marriage with companionship and communication. Thirty three years later, and 19 years of expediting, our relationship is as strong as ever. I wish every bit of a similar success for Hawkeye, but the odds are against him unless he takes Turtle's words to heart, reassesses his current operation and, with the concurrance and support of his wife, plans for the future of his children.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I have to agree with the others ..expediting is NO place for
a man with 2 small children. A dads place should be at home with his kids until they get up in age. It pains me to leave my
grandchildren behind..I couldn't imagine leaving my child.

Please don't misunderstand.. I am not knocking you or trying to
make you feel bad..or tick you off. I'm just saying it must be very hard for you to deal with being gone.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As much as I sort of, maybe agree with most of the recent comments, it leaves me to think that many haven’t been there to begin with.

Maybe I am taking this personal, maybe it is the idea that you have to fail when this situation comes up, I don’t know.

We make this sometimes look all too easy, we support the idea that anyone can do this work and it is easy to learn but some don’t understand that it really is a hard life for a lot of people, and it makes it even harder when people can’t do much more than this.

For what ever reason Hawkeye took this path, I commend Hawkeye for trying to provide while others won’t go that extra length to at least try. I see a lot of others who leave their family because of work; it is more common than you think.

I think Terry hit on a subject that still matters for most military people but in trucking I see this big gap - no support groups in the trucking eye. I think there are a few but there surely isn’t anything like the network I saw when I was working in Charleston where families helped families when they needed the help.

There is also a big difference in the ability to communicate, in the past there wasn’t many options but today we have all kinds of ways to communicate. I have talked to soldiers in Iraq via sat phones, I have conversed with people in Australia while driving through the Blue Ridge Mountains, and so communications is a key to lessen the impact of any sacrifice. This does not mean that there is no need to be home but it lessens the distance between parent(s) and children.

Strength in any marriage is paramount; I could not do this work if I didn’t have a very strong marriage. I know what ever happens, there is no divorce for us, we been through too much to part for stupid reasons. Most of the problems we have have more to do with the ups and downs than being away from home. Sure it is hard on both of us but I know men who are working in Wyoming while the entire family stays here – they can’t afford to move and some of the guys live in campers and trailers. I don’t want to be that tied to something like living in a trailer or camper 1100 miles from home working 12 hour shifts until I have to, so I am in a truck. A strong marriage also makes for a strong family and in today’s world there are limited options to an awful lot of people. The guy across the street from me is working in Mexico, his young kids are ok with it but their marriage is like mine, strong. He has been home four times in the last year and a half and the last time; the children were brought up in the conversation. Of course he wants to be home but it is better to work and provide than to live in a box under a bridge. The choice is easy for many of us, we do what we can do to make ends meet.

As for researching, I am going to be clear on this – it is difficult to search about issues when you don’t know what you are searching for or how to search. Many of us take this all for granted thinking just because we can search, anyone can – but that is not the case. In addition we know the subject material where others don’t. As a former moderator (of many sites), I had a lot more questions on how to do a search than anything else for those were simple subjects people were trying to find. I made a suggestion and it was basically ignored (or I felt that way) so I will make it again – setup a sticky with specific threads to answer basic questions. Here is a very good example;

Attention Newbies! A FAQ to the FAQs - MP3Car.com

Look at this format, and look through the links and see what they did. These were threads and they were put into a FAQ thread in order to help people. This specific site is a busy site (very) and has a lot of info but the newbies have about the same problem, they can’t search without knowing what to search for. I would also say that we have enough mods here that they can kick this out in a week or three, picking through what is already in the newbie faqs forum and condensing that to one, two or three threads of links and explanations. I say edit it for content so it is consistent and has continuity. By the way I am not just talking about searching but reading through the thread. As much as I hold EO up as one of the best sites, the content is daunting to say the least.

Hawkeye

Seasoned Expediter
Everyone,
Thank you for your advice! I feel that my marriage is strong. My wife understands the commitment involved to make this work. In fact, she rode with me for ten days last August and has a better feel for this job.

Since I started doing this last June, both of my boys have been acting up more! Actually, I have been the only one that my boys will listen to; they don't seem to listen to anyone else.

It is very hard to leave for that next load when I do make it home. I can see the sadness in my boys' eyes when I leave, but I also get to see the happiness when I return.

I started in expediting to pay off some very old and current bills. Unfortunately, I took on more debt to do this. With my current debt, I am unable to afford leaving and getting a local job. In Michigan, the job market has become futile. Until things pick back up, I will have to work harder at making this a success.

Thanks again,
Dave

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Hawkeye,

The Bible says, in Galatians 4:16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Plain speaking folks sometimes get labeled as being "Self-Serving" in our attempts to present a complete overview of expediting in particular and trucking in general.

It is simply my desire and hope that folks will consider exactly what you have experienced as the result of extended periods away from home. Personally, I really don't like being away from home myself, and I am an old guy without young children!

Before I began life on the road, I studied EO for months. I visited truck stops. I had a fellow church member who owned a straight truck and he gave me an inside look at the business. I had been a previous business owner myself. OK, I did my homework and I have a few skills.

You know what I discovered? It didn't matter how much skill, knowledge or desire I possessed, because in the final analysis my decision to stay, or go, ultimately rests upon how well I can handle the separation.

Your concern for your family is an excellent character trait and folks with good character usually figure out a way to acquire the necessary balance between family and work.

I have the greatest confidence that you will do what is right, because that is the real measure of success.

My mailbox is always open if you have questions.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a thought....when the wife first moved to Canada and her missing her grandchildren, her sons and us set up webcams so they could talk and see each other....

we still have this set-up in SD my kids in Canada and hers in Maryland and Virginia...it helps us anyhow for that little feel for family.

Its not the ideal set-up but it's a compromise when one has got to do what one must do to support such family.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Nice thought OVM.

I am going to look into that idea.

One other consideration would be to work with a carrier that has a base of operations as close to home as possible.

I get by the house quite often simply because the carrier's base of operations has generated a good deal of freight that goes near the house.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
David..It's not like being there but you can see and talk in realtime and see your wifes mannerisms or childrens...it's a bridge to overcome that lost feeling we get sometimes, that disconnect we sometimes feel...or guilt. Your kids can show you thier classroom art and you can react and they can see you react....

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
I have a piece of advice too, even though I know many, if not the majority on this forum, don't agree with me: look for a full time job & hire a driver for the van.
I agree that at least with these gas prices expediting it not something to live off of, unless you're single and willing to sacrifice big time. However, it can be a very nice addition to a stable income.
I'm saying this based on our experience. We were able to do this even though everyone predicted our failure. We started with nothing last January. We now have 4 vans and a ST. But we were able to do this with me working full time, my husband taking care of another local business and driving on and off (mostly off) whenever we were between drivers.
So what I'm saying is yes, it can be done. But not with you driving and this being your family's only income.
And don't say no, I cannot do anything else, I'm stuck here. Always look for possibilities of growing, always want more for yourself. Waiting for the next -long well paid- run won't do it.

chada75

Seasoned Expediter
In terms of income, I'm only making $1300-$1500 a month and spending $400 in fuel. Is some for you saying that I can't make more than this driving a Van? I'm single with no kids too.

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
i DEFINETLY agree with the Rev, i am in my late 30s, 3 kids wife dont work, i cant do this too much longer, in a van that is!!!