The spoiled under 30 crowd

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious
diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with
walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ... uphill BOTH ways.

yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in
in the world I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I
had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but
look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a dang
Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got
it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know
something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the
card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter with a pen!
Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox
and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to
hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd
usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and
somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you
had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your
bookie, the local hoods, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You
had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with
high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like
'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You
actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or
screens, it was just one screen
forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and
faster and faster until you died!

Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there was no such thing as stadium seating!
All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a
hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15
channels and there was no on screen menu and no remote control! You had to
use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were
screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your butt and
walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network
either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what
I'm saying!?!

We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little ratfinks!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to
use the stove or go build a frigging fire. Imagine that! If we wanted
popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the
stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy.
You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 70`s and 80`s!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, that is funny, I can remember when we got our FIRST TV back in 1956. I can remember when NO ONE had air condintioning. When kids PLAYED outside!!! We played baseball, football and ice hockey. No basketball, too whimpy for us. We not only did not HAVE to be forced outside and TAUGHT how to play, we had to be forced into the house when the street lights came on. When it was too hot to sleep we played outside till the wee hours of the morning, WITH NO CRIME!!! How could that be? Every Mom and Dad was sitting out on the porch watching thier kids and everyone elses. I can tell you for a fact that if I screwed up near another house those parents would take me by the ear and drag me home for my daily whipping. I earned a lot of those in my mis-spent youth. LOL. Let's see I also worked since I was 11, I hunted and fished. I road my bike everywhere, no car till I was 18. I would love to see these whimps today, shoot, they can't even get off the couch!!! A generation of garden slugs. Layoutshooter

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Dang ol farts... glad all us young whippersnappers are on on here to keep ya grounded.... crap... anyone else feel that lightning strike? :D

OK.. I'll add my bits... my son was tripping out on what a 45 record was.. my sage, oh so wise daughter tells him .. "It was like a plastic CD that scratched real easy"...

Sigh.. remember Encyclopedia's that you had to actually carry... and if you wanted to plagurize a report, you had to copy word by word.. LOL... not highlight the whole page online and Copy and Past... ;).

Working 2 hrs on a report had a whole different meaning back then. I've worked hours on a 2 page report.. now, in college, their 10 page reports are no big deal... they can do their research in 1/4 the time.

And they have the nerve to whine that our home internet connection is not as fast as the one at college...:rolleyes:

Try using my old high tech Commodore 64 ya punk!

Dale

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OH YEAH???????? Well I remember the first computer I ever used, WAY back in 1972. It was six feet tall and over 12 feet long. It had to be kept at 60 degrees or colder or it would crash. What did this monster do? It printed the time and date at the end of each line I typed!!! And it did this much slower than I could and with more mistakes!!!!

Ya better watch out for those lighting bolts, I would throw some if my rotater cuffs wernt so messed up. LOL

Hey my grand-parents only had an out house for business untill 1967. By the way, we still have that same out house. An original WPA built out house. A true piece of history. Back then you had to earn your "welfare" check. layoutshooter

blondechick

Seasoned Expediter
I'm only 27 yet because I spent most of my time with my Grandparents, and my parents didn't buy state of the art...I can relate to several of these things. The parents/grandparent who buy their kids these items (that would be you all) are the ones causing them to be spoiled. I think its great our country is prosperous enough to spoil their kids. I appreciate the new technology, and secretly you all do too. So go forth and spoil your kids, just don't let them become brats. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now hold on there Blondechic, Not ALL of us did that. I did not buy my kids squat other than what they needed!!! (just as them, I was a meanie!!!) I raised my kids right. I did have a lot of problems with the school systems under-cutting most everything I taught them. And I did have to walk through 3 foot snow drifts to and from school, 27 miles each way everyday all up hill!!!!! LOL. It was a mile to school with only one hill, a depression accutally, it was S.E. Michigan. And although we seldom had snow drifts I often ice skated to school after one of our many ice storms. OH, and I only missed 3 days of school to weather between kindergarden and 12th grade. One it was -10 and the school boiler broke, one was for snow, about 15 inches. The cut off back then was 10 inches. And the 3rd time was after a really bad ice storm brought down most of the power lines in town. My kids missed more days thier first year in school than I did my entire education life. Poor darlins might slip. Shoot, The first year we were back from England my son's school closed because it "might" snow the next day. Dang gone lawyers, making whimps out of everyone. (Maybe not you but a whole bunch) LOL. This is meant to be fun. Layoutshooter

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Cable TV....I remember when they came around to tell us that they were installing it in our neighborhood. Then longingly waiting for the truck to FINALLY get to our house (almost a year). HBO...WOOHOO!!!!

Little purple radio that played all the songs I had called into the radio station and requested.
My first album purchases with money I made working a real job, not just babysitting....
Fleetwood Mac- Rumors Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors

And Hey...when that street light came on I was in the house or I was a paddled kid.....as were mine :)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
ABC, NBC, CBS, and two of those were snowy.

and if the president was on.. you were screwed!

LOL.

I'm not too old to admit I miss Saturday morning cartoons. I got some DVD's at the library a while back... some old Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny, etc... laughed til I cried...

Kids just looked at me.... them funny old 2 dimentional, non-computer generated 3d cartoons. (PS.. why do all the cartoon characters today have those huge eyes?)

Oh.. and just for nostalgia... I checked out a CD of "The Best of Schoolhouse Rock"..

"Oh I'm just a Bill... on Capital Hill...."... everyone now! :cool:

Dale

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
...and I'm lying here on Capital Hill.....:D
Those little spots were brilliant! How much we learned from those. Saturday morning cartoons were great, until Dad said...outside we have yard work to do :(

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Oh how I hope and pray that i will, but today I am still just a bill.... (showing our ages now folks) Lets see these curtain climbers play halo on my TRS-80. Oh and life without cell phones and text messages. I was already married when beeper codes were the thing. Remember this oldie "143" ? all you young'uns say Huh?

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
My husband remembers when he used to walk to town (about 2 miles) and to the community pool. Played outside til after dark. (There was no fear of being kidnapped off the street back then). No cable tv, only 3 channels and we had to get off
the couch to change the channels. Coke was 5 cents and
you had to share with your brother. Wow, the good ole
days.. how we long for simpler times sometimes.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Awwww...Tempest I didn't know you cared ;)

143= I love you

Never had a beeper, heck I fought the cell phone thing until 2000...then I kept forgetting to turn the thing on. :eek:

Oh yeah....how many of you played mumbly peg or flashlight tag?

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
When I was a kid the television screen used to go blank at midnight and I thought intelligent alien life formes were trying to contact me!It was a heck of a lot more entertaining than watching Tony Robbins motivational infomercials (hell what would we do without Tony Robbins)? I used to have to use pigeons to deliver my instant messages to my friends. My cell phone was a small two way radio that only had a quarter of a mile radius. We had to walk 25 miles to school one way in 20 degree weather wearing only a pair of boxer shorts. The town had one movie theatre and it only opened for two hours on saturday and the movies were all in black and white. My favorite movie was (Charlie Chapman) man these blue ray high definition movies have nothing on them old classics. I used to love to watch the little black lines flicker on the screen as the reels would wind through the film. Instead of cd's I had my 8 track and had to listen to the tape whine as I fast forwarded it to the next track <wink>.We were so poor my mom would read us surgeon general warnings off used cartons of cigarettes and we grew up thinking that the surgeon general was a super hero. We were so poor that the homeless people offered us money. Our family had a car (it was an old Model T Ford) and when we put the pedal to the metal at 25 miles an hour we thought we were cool. We used to get passed by old ladies in station wagons giving us the single digit iq. Life was so simple back then my parents told me that if I ever kissed a girl my lips would fall off. I even once saw the ghost of James Dean and John Wayne having a fist fight in my back yard inside my sprawling tree house. lol j/k....:p

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now you got it Dogeboy!!! almost as tough as we had it!! Well shoot, we used to steal dandylion greens from the neighbor's lawns for salad. My parents never smoked so we never knew what a surgeon general was. We did live so far out of Detroit that we had our electricity brought to the house in bottles!!!! We often went to school in boxers only too, only we had to weave ours out of the summers grass clippings!!! LOL We did used to pick pop bottles for the 2 cents each paid, we used the money to buy bait when we went fishing. We would also catch crayfish and sell them to the bait shop for a Double Cola, a bag of chips and a dozen night crawlers. We would fish most days till about 10am, we left the house, alone, as kids around 4am on bikes to ride down to the toll bridge that spanned the Trenton Channel between Riverview and Grosse Isle. We would fish the cattail marsh on the other side or on cooler days ride the seven miles down to the "Twin Points", just below the "Pink Pagota" and fish there. When we were down fishing we biked home, ate a bit of lunch and then played ball till it was too dark to see the ball. Yea, there were things not as good as we have it now, but not many. We had real FUN!!!! No one told us that we were susposed to be mad that we were poor, we did not know it. We ENJOYED ourselfs and friends and really LIVED!!!! When I listen to the whinning I here from kids today I just smile, what whimps!!! They hurt thier thumbs pushing buttons. WOW, how rough!!! Layoutshooter