The search for a humane way to kill

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OUCH!!!!! That hurts just thinking about it.

as to shaking and twitching in the electric chair, as opposed to swing from a rope...gasping for air in the gas chamber???

me thinks there is TOO much thought to the few seconds of discomfort the offender might feel...without due thought what the victim felt...

OldGuy

Active Expediter
I don't know if uthinization is painless or not. But you can't feel pain if your head isn't on anymore.

Guillotine or a .45 to the base of the skull should do it. Sever the spinal column.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Wow !! Some very "positive" views again, but not to the question I was asking LOL :p

I did find this interesting in my search ....

"The use of muscle-immobilizing agents for euthanasia is "absolutely condemned" by the AVMA panel (and is illegal for euthanasia in New Jersey). Human patients given curare-like drugs have reported feelings of extreme anxiety as a result of being totally paralyzed but fully conscious"

Chapter 10: Euthanasia

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow !! Some very "positive" views again, but not to the question I was asking LOL :p

I did find this interesting in my search ....

"The use of muscle-immobilizing agents for euthanasia is "absolutely condemned" by the AVMA panel (and is illegal for euthanasia in New Jersey). Human patients given curare-like drugs have reported feelings of extreme anxiety as a result of being totally paralyzed but fully conscious"

Chapter 10: Euthanasia

You are asking almost an impossible question to answer....

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Death by lethal injection is similar to euthanasia. The pets dont feel it because if done correctly, they are given and heavy tranquilizer first then a muscle relaxer that stops their heart and breathing. They effectively die in their sleep.

Robert

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know what all the fuss is over youth in Asia. (Benny Hill reference, sorry)

Many states use the single injection method used to put down pets and other animals, but it does take considerable longer for death to occur. It's essentially like taking an overdose of sleeping pills, you relax, go to sleep, and as the sleep gets deeper your diaphragm slowly stops working so you stop breathing.

Some people think "cruel and unusual" means the death has to be painless. I think cruel and unusual would be any unnecessary, prolonged pain intentionally induced for revenge. I've always thought the electric chair was that very thing, a very violent death that affects every nerve in the body in a painful way. The single injection method seems like the best overall solution.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like the death penalty the way we have it here. Too arbitrary and there is always the chance that a mistake is made and an innocent person is killed. I prefer life in prison without any chance of getting out. That way when mistakes are made, and the are made, it can be corrected. IF we are going to kill them, turn them over to the family of the victims, let them have their revenge. I have no problem with revenge. Televise it as well.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
I don't like it either. Too much room for error. But to answer the question, I am sure that it is because the government makes the decisions...

robh2

Veteran Expediter
The problem with the single inject for animal euthanasia is its injected into the heart and is very painful and takes a min. Not a fan of it. Many humane society's use this method because its quicker and cheaper.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I like the Guillotine as well. but for another rezone .
in the bible times there where 4 ways of killing a persons that was sentence to death.
the disconnecting of the head (by a sward swing ,the Guillotine was yet to be invented) is the one chosen for the less offenders.(community crimes)
(#2 by stone(family crimes), #3 by hanging(war/murder),#4 by fire(religions).)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
For some reason I'm having a weak moment on this. I don't know why? I am usually ready to fry, shoot, gun down, run over, but today, am having a moment on the euthanisa word. Had a golden retriever put down 6 yrs ago due to old age and I'm not really over it now. It comes and goes sometimes. Yes he was a dog, but Goldens are just special, he was my dog.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For some reason I'm having a weak moment on this. I don't know why? I am usually ready to fry, shoot, gun down, run over, but today, am having a moment on the euthanisa word. Had a golden retriever put down 6 yrs ago due to old age and I'm not really over it now. It comes and goes sometimes. Yes he was a dog, but Goldens are just special, he was my dog.

Most dogs have a use. They contribute. NO criminal has a use and they do NOT contribute. I have NO moral problem nuking them. I am only opposed because too many mistakes have been and will be made.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Most dogs have a use. They contribute. NO criminal has a use and they do NOT contribute. I have NO moral problem nuking them. I am only opposed because too many mistakes have been and will be made.

Not all convicted criminals are bad people...some just got desparate, and did something stupid, or got caught up with wrong people.

Dale

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not all convicted criminals are bad people...some just got desparate, and did something stupid, or got caught up with wrong people.

Dale

Yeah, but no good person murders. I understand what you are saying, but only to a point. There are always other choices than crime. It also depends on the crimes we are talking about. Crimes that harm other people I see little excuse for. Stealing an ear of corn or an apple is another.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like the death penalty the way we have it here. Too arbitrary and there is always the chance that a mistake is made and an innocent person is killed. I prefer life in prison without any chance of getting out. That way when mistakes are made, and the are made, it can be corrected.

I don't like it either. Too much room for error.

I am only opposed because too many mistakes have been and will be made.

Dale

Wow! If these statements came from a liberal Democrat, they would be called bleeding hearts.