The scary pay question.

greenbabby

Seasoned Expediter
My boyfriend and I have been driving for a major freight company hauling 53' trailers for a little over a year. We have been thinking about making the swich to fedex cc driving a straight truck. We have found someone to drive for doing the 60/40 split thing. I was just wondering if it was worth doing money wise. I know no one can give me an exact amount, but we make on average $1470 a week after taxes together not running to hard. Is there the potential to make more driving someone elses truck with fedex? We are not afraid to run hard we just haven't seen the miles this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Potential? yes
Likelihood? no, tho some weeks you will.
Suggestion? stay where you're at.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Sure. There's potential for $250K annually, but the reality is on the high side of $150K. A typical team will be available for about 75% of 52 weeks which is 39 weeks on the road. Your 60% take at the FedEx Custom Critical average of about $150 for a team in a D truck would be $90K or $2300 weekly. From that you'll be paying about $1200 for fuel for a pre-tax net of $1100.

Don't use my numbers because I'm just a cargo van driver. I'd suggest that you check with a couple of owners for better info. DaveKC, I hear, is looking for a good team in a Panther D truck. Try sending him a PM inquiry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A little basic arithmetic can give you another basis to work from. You're currently at $1470 after taxes. Based on a 60/40 split you'd have to have $2450 to the truck before split to leave $1470 (1470/.6). If taxes are 15% you need $2882 (2450/.85). The fsc won't cover all the fuel so you need some extra for that. That isn't something you can figure as easily but let's throw $218 in to get an even $3100 to the truck. With Fedex, if the truck is moving based on their instructions it's making money for all miles. That would require approximately 2600 dispatched miles per week at $1.20 all miles. I believe that's a per mile figure that's possible with them but of course there's no guarantee. The number of miles are within the realm of possible and some weeks will exceed that significantly. Other weeks will be lucky to hit half that many miles.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
>My boyfriend and I have been driving for a major freight
>company hauling 53' trailers for a little over a year. We
>have been thinking about making the swich to fedex cc
>driving a straight truck. We have found someone to drive for
>doing the 60/40 split thing. I was just wondering if it was
>worth doing money wise. I know no one can give me an exact
>amount, but we make on average $1470 a week after taxes
>together not running to hard.
There is potential but it is a completely different world out here compared to truckload.
I came from truckload and it took me a good year to adjust.
You will be sitting a lot and waiting for the last minute shipment most of the time.
Maintain a good attitude and you should be able to Avg $600 a week a piece till you learn the ropes (in the current climate).
Some will do much better and some will do worse so best advice is to research the forums and find yourself a good mentor (successful mentor) to coach you..
If you have direct questions about Fecc and or need help feel free to PM Cynthia and I as we would be glad to help.
Mike

Mike and Cyn

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks Terry for the plug. We are looking for another team. If someone needs some help or information whether they drive for me or not, we would be glad to assist.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator