The plague of spammers

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some don't see spammers as much of a problem but in 2007 there were 2 million emails sent every second. Two million emails per second around the clock and 70% of them were spam or viruses. That according to the History Channel reporting on technology.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Some don't see spammers as much of a problem but in 2007 there were 2 million emails sent every second. Two million emails per second around the clock and 70% of them were spam or viruses. That according to the History Channel reporting on technology.
Think of all the paper and landfill space we're saving by avoiding regular junk mail via the USPS ....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An entire second of my life wasted deleting an email, oh my I will never get that time back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No you won't and neither will the other 1.4 million people every second of every day. At one email per second you would spend 16.2 days deleting just one second worth of spam. One minute worth of spam would take 972 days to delete. One hour of spam would take 58,320 days to delete, or 159 years. I doubt you have that much time to spare. One day of spam would take 3,834 years to delete and that presumes you never sleep, eat, make pit stops or do anything other than delete one spam per second every second.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I only have to delete my own and.most go in the spam folder so thats one fell swoop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, well then since it minimally affects you it's not a problem after all and nothing to be annoyed by. I get it now.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems to maximally affect you as you obsess over it. Waste of bandwidth is a greater problem than spam.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems to maximally affect you as you obsess over it. Waste of bandwidth is a greater problem than spam.

Are we going to have a bandwidth crisis to go along with the sky falling? Global Warming and massive meteors crashing into St. Louis? :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An entire second of my life wasted deleting an email, oh my I will never get that time back.
If it was just one second, once, that would be fine. But those seconds add up. And it's not just one second, it's several when you factor in having to decide which e-mails are SPAM and then delete them. Then factor in having to fish out legitimate e-mails which get caught in SPAM filters and the time grows exponentially.

As far as the "
paper and landfill space we're saving by avoiding regular junk mail via the USPS" being a factor, it is not. That's the same argument that the MPAA, RIAA and SFA tries to use to equate every single pirated copy to lost dollars. Studies have repeatedly shown that levels of electronic SPAM and USPS junk mail have no correlation to each other, and that electronic spammers do not use SPAM in lieu of snail mail. If all e-mail SPAM were suddenly rendered impossible to do, USPS snail junk mail would see very little or no increase at all. The reason, of course, is that sending postal mail costs money to the sender, both to print and to deliver, so there is a monetary threshold that keeps every company in the country from sending lots of it. That threshold ensures that, while you may receive what you think is an irritating amount of junk, your postal mailbox is not completely flooded with it.

In North America alone there are more than 30 million businesses.
If sending postal junk mail cost nothing to print or to deliver and therefore each North American business could freely send you one item of postal junk mail per month, you personally would receive 1,000,000 items of postal junk mail each day. Obviously your mailbox (or your mailman) could not cope even with a tiny fraction of that. The print and postal delivery costs prevent that from ever occurring. But not so with junk email. SPAM costs nothing to the sender therefore there is no monetary barrier or incremental cost to deter how much email spam can be sent. With the absence of a monetary barrier, coupled with an already absence of a conscience, spammers are free to be the parasitic leeches they are.

The National Technology Readiness Survey produced by Rockbridge Associates Inc. and the University of Maryland's Center for Excellence in Service revealed that for business users, workers spend an average of 2.8 minutes per day deleting SPAM. Using average US wages, that equates to $21.6 billion in lost productivity per year. If a worker spends 10 minutes per day deleting SPAM (and some spend more), they spend 50 minutes per week, or 250 minutes per month, deleting spam. That's 4.16 hours per employee per month lost to performing a function as useless as deleting email. It's time and money that, yes, they will never get back. Ever.

For home users it's even worse.

525CD43DC2DF4176BFCCCFC0BD0A97A7.jpg

40% of personal e-mailers spend fewer than 5 minutes dealing with spam on a typical day; 32% spend from 5 to 14 minutes; 14% spend from 15 to 29 minutes; 12% spend a half hour or more.

Many home users are quite computer savvy and don't spend as much time with it, but many are also barely computer literate and spend much more time dealing with SPAM. The overall average for home users is 17 minutes per day, which can hardly be categorized as merely "an entire second of my life" by even the wildest stretches of imagination.

But let's reduce it down to the same 10 minutes per day as office workers. That's 3,650 minutes per year, or 60.83 hours per year which is wasted in doing something that was caused by the callousness, arrogance, and rudeness of someone else. At 17 minutes it's more than 100 hours.

Spammers are parasites of the worst kind, and should be dealt with as such - squashed like the bugs they are. They serve no useful function and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
At least it's not as bad as it was some 10 plus years ago.....

With all the Filters in play not only with your ISP service, but also with your Security Programs, SPAM is almost nill to just everybody.

I recall the days of almost 50-60-100 SPAM Mails or so in your Inbox every single day. Today, only like 4-5 get past my filters.

Now if only I can figure out how to avoid long useless posts that fill up threads in simple discussions on a couple of discussion boards I participate on..........:) :) :)