the new cruise control

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
last week, thru necessity, we added cruise to the van.
we have seen an increase of 1.8 mpg over the last 155 gal vs the prev 250 gal. we have picked up 279 miles traveled.

nothing below 16.16 mpg and a high of 17, on my favorite mpg making stretch of road, 1-65 from 1-80 to mm50 in seymour.

we should have done this last year.

cost of installation was just under 500 bucks. should have offered him a cruise ctl steering wheel to hook it up to as there is a new stalk poking off the column and it is well hidden behind the steering wheel..

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Did the same to one of the fleet vans. Under $500 here also, made a difference in the gas mileage that might sound puny, but at $3.75 to $4.20 per gallon, was noticeable.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Did you ever call and ask to see if cruise control would give you better MPG? You could have used the advanced search function and figured this out before.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
The reason it was added to one of the fleet vans: it was the only van in the bunch without it from the factory. The mileage was just something that was noticed after the fact. The cruise was installed for the convience of the driver and to hopefully prevent lead footing and keep an even speed...which is where I suspect the improvement comes from.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks. I do know how to use the advamnvced search. Nice jab. My vehicle is unique to the forum. Only one of three in expeditinf that i know of so not much documentation in the archeives.

I have been using cruise sine 1987 but when you have it you never realize just gow much fuel it saves. We would have added cc to the van last year but there were other placels to spend the money.

On a run from portage wi to menominee today we had the heady exhilaeation of 18.6 mpg for that 159 miles. Wondering if the downhill portion will be better.

Once again thanks for the suggestion.

Posted from the color nook,

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Would love to add cruise to my 2003 Ford E350 w/7.3 diesel but have not found anyone or any site that offers it. Any suggestions?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm just amazed at the increase in cost - when I added it to my van about 6 years ago, it was under $200! Where did you guys have it done? :confused:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Would love to add cruise to my 2003 Ford E350 w/7.3 diesel but have not found anyone or any site that offers it. Any suggestions?

Dan: can't promise they're still there, but mine was done at a small place in North Olmsted, Oh [western suburb of Cleveland] called Auto Impressions. Phone number: 440 734 8787.
If that's no good, try asking at auto dealerships, as they sometimes send vehicles out to have it done.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, the electronics and computers have increased the cost...my van is a "drive by wire" accelerator, meaning there is no gas petal cable or linkage, it is all electronic...the new cruise as to interface with that computer, the emc, throttle position sensor, the transmission control computer and even the anti lock brake / brake computer...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

cost of installation was just under 500 bucks. should have offered him a cruise ctl steering wheel to hook it up to as there is a new stalk poking off the column and it is well hidden behind the steering wheel..

I had cruise added to the CargoMax before they delivered it. $375 neighborhood (already forgot!). I too wish it was on the steering wheel or turn sgnal arm. Can that be done? Seems like it would be somewhat simple?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I also had to add my cruise before i picked up my CargoMax...it not being on the steering wheel or turnsignal stalk is a pain, but you get use to it, its 2nd nature now that i have been using it for 2 months.

I think the reason it is mounted as it is, is because it is a "universal' type stalk, it is not "brand (chevy, ford, gmc) specific...they can make one and serve the total market. It would surely add a big price increase to have seperate options for each brand....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri, the electronics and computers have increased the cost...my van is a "drive by wire" accelerator, meaning there is no gas petal cable or linkage, it is all electronic...the new cruise as to interface with that computer, the emc, throttle position sensor, the transmission control computer and even the anti lock brake / brake computer...

Like the saying goes: It takes a computer to really screw things up! I just didn't know there were so many of them involved in acceleration.....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I'll tell you, this "drive by wire" gas pedal took a bit to get use to..It doesn't "feel' the same, it doesn't pivot the same and if you drive bare foot as i do for the most part and the top of your foot itches, its a pain to get your foot under the pedal to scratch it!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'll tell you, this "drive by wire" gas pedal took a bit to get use to..It doesn't "feel' the same, it doesn't pivot the same and if you drive bare foot as i do for the most part and the top of your foot itches, its a pain to get your foot under the pedal to scratch it!!!

I do drive barefoot [I have ADD too, and disliking restraint of any kind is a hallmark, you know], but when my foot itches, I use my fingernails - or the nail file, if they're too short, lol.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Steering wheel mount means new steering wheel and mucho dinero.

i was told 120$ for a cc steering wheel.

dancorn i had mine done at erickson automotive, lathrop ave, racine wi. don't have the number handy. they don't stock the kit so a couple days to get it picked packaged and deliv from minneapolis.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks. I do know how to use the advamnvced search. Nice jab. My vehicle is unique to the forum. Only one of three in expeditinf that i know of so not much documentation in the archeives.

I have been using cruise sine 1987 but when you have it you never realize just gow much fuel it saves. We would have added cc to the van last year but there were other placels to spend the money.

On a run from portage wi to menominee today we had the heady exhilaeation of 18.6 mpg for that 159 miles. Wondering if the downhill portion will be better.

*LOL* Come on Jack...that jab was priceless.....:p

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Well that doesn't stop you from responding to people the same way even though the search function turns up no information or they are looking for more up to date information. As far as cruise control goes it doesn't matter what kind of vehicle it is on you are going to get better fuel mileage since humans cannot keep a steady even pressure.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App