The Libertarians.... spoilers

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Imo he would eventually at election time take more votes away from Trump.
Dems are more locked into their candidate than the Republicans.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard he needs to poll at 15% nationally to be included on the debate stage. He's not too far away.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard him for about 5 minutes on an interview one day. It only took 3 minutes to figure out he's a bit of an idiot. I remember nothing about the interview other than having that impression.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got a fever. And the only prescription is more batcrap crazy candidates.

Reactions: Moot

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You know as scary as the libertarians are, Gary Johnson is looking better every day, maybe this is the year for the 3rd party candidate......

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Third party has 0 chance. If they did the other two parties would be constantly attack8ng them and the media would be digging up dirt.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You know as scary as the libertarians are, Gary Johnson is looking better every day, maybe this is the year for the 3rd party candidate......
With all the crap being spewed by both sides, the Libs are a viable alternative... IMO.
I only wish more would take a good look at their platform. You might be surprised at what you will find.

Reactions: RoadTime

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With all the crap being spewed by both sides, the Libs are a viable alternative... IMO.
I only wish more would take a good look at their platform. You might be surprised at what you will find.

The electorate are too uninformed. Johnson is polling roughly around 8 percent. He needs 15 just to get on the debate stage. Without that and any real campaign money, most will never know who he is. Same problem for most third party candidates.

Reactions: TDave

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Johnson ran as the Libertarian candidate in 2012, and won about 1 percent of the national vote, becoming the most successful Libertarian candidate ever.

Currently polling at 8.6% is already a huge accomplishment. Social media can do wonders to spread the word, but a ticket to the debate dance is a must. If he was able to gain enough to join Tweedle Dee and tweedle dumb on the stage, I think he could be a game changer. People on both sides want another option. Exposure is needed, hell, I never heard of him till he got coverage at one or both of the conventions. Next thing I know he's showing up in polling results along with Stein. Who?

I really do hope he surges into the debates, but time is not on his side.

www.johnsonweld.com

Reactions: TDave

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Third party has 0 chance.
I believe that kind of thinking got us where we are today; Clinton vs.Trump. Over the past 25 or 30 years if people would have voted with their conscience, for who they believed to be the best candidate, instead of buying into the third party has no chance and third party is a wasted vote crap, maybe we would have a viable 3rd party candidate today.

I know Democrats who of course won't vote for Trump but won't vote for Clinton either. I know Republicans who of course won't vote for Clinton but also won't vote for Trump. Many people might not even bother to show up at the polls come November. Voter apathy is on the rise and this election could set a record for the lowest voter turnout percentage-wise.

I believe just about any 3rd party candidate running on a moderate platform, with some national recognition could win this election.

Reactions: RLENT and RoadTime

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe that kind of thinking got us where we are today; Clinton vs.Trump. Over the past 25 or 30 years if people would have voted with their conscience, for who they believed to be the best candidate, instead of buying into the third party has no chance and third party is a wasted vote crap, maybe we would have a viable 3rd party candidate today.

I know Democrats who of course won't vote for Trump but won't vote for Clinton either. I know Republicans who of course won't vote for Clinton but also won't vote for Trump. Many people might not even bother to show up at the polls come November. Voter apathy is on the rise and this election could set a record for the lowest voter turnout percentage-wise.

I believe just about any 3rd party candidate running on a moderate platform, with some national recognition could win this election.

It has nothing to do with my personal thoughts on Johnson or a third party in general. It was to point out what would be happening if they were a viable threat to the other parties. Not a fan of any of them including Johnson but I think if the top and bottom of the third party ticket was flipped they would be polling better.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The biggest problem as mentioned is a uninformed electorate. Just looking at the percentages and polling at 10 or under, it tells you it is only going to take away from the candidates that poll higher. Depending on your preference, historically it has hurt the republicans. With so many people hating Hillary, probably won't matter either way. That 10 percent or less will be split. If it is close, then it might help Hillary.
One of those, be careful what you wish for. One that my conscience tells me we can't handle a third term of Obama.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My thoughts........

1. The whole idea of voting for a 3rd party is a wasted vote needs to end.

2. I know of many Dems that can't stomach the idea of voting for Hillary.

Just saying.

Reactions: RLENT and TDave

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My point is, if people would have supported and voted for a moderate 3rd party candidate years ago maybe we would have a viable 3rd party candidate to vote for this year. I've heard the wasted vote rubbish since I voted for John Anderson in 1980. At that time it wasn't considered a wasted vote though. It was much worse! A vote for John Anderson was a vote for the evil Ronald Reagan. The man that would certainly get us into a nuclear war with all his tough guy talk. Sound familiar?

Reactions: RLENT