The driving...

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
How long does it take to get accustomed to driving for long periods of time? The most I have driven without stopping (and in a car) is 4 hours or so. It takes that long to get to Atlanta, Lexington, etc., we do whatever it is we're there for and we drive back, 8 hours total but that is not the same as driving for a living.

Reactions: Mailer

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How long does it take to get accustomed to driving for long periods of time?
When you have to drive a few hours in order to get somewhere in order to do something, it's a really long drive and it takes for-e-ver.

When you drive and every time the odometer clicks another mile and you hear "cha-ching" with every click, you quickly get used to driving long distances.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How long does it take to get accustomed to driving for long periods of time? ...

I always referred to that as my "Trucker Butt" if I hadn't drove long distance for like over a year (Times I wasn't doing this) it's something that needed to get reconditioned again. I image everyone is different, but starting out, I would guess after a month or so you should be getting used to it. Or at least better able to tolerate it.

Reactions: Mailer and TeamPaul

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
The benefit of being in a Van IMO is being free from the logbook. When I was with Tri-State, I did a long night trip from Norfolk, VA to Battle Creek, MI. I picked up Mid-Afternoon and delivered on time the next morning.

It was actually a nice night drive and I would pull over catching short naps along the way.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RoadTime has a good point. The body and mind need time to adapt.

I remembered the "pain" when I first drove 800 miles. It wasn't physical pain, it's more like the mental pain. I fought trying to keep awake and alert to deliver the load.

Now, my body and mind are working in concert, adapted that is. I have developed the habit of preplanning the rest before the next assignment. During the trip, my body and mind will give me the signs when to stop for the short rest, sleep, breaks, etc.

As months and years passed, I noticed my tolerance to drive longer distance have improved.

Everyone tolerance is difference, but here's my patterns.

Up to 800 miles- 6 months.
800-2000 miles- 3 years.
2000 miles and up-I'm still working on it. Lol...

Please do it safely.

EDIT: Oh by the way, most of the miles mentioned above are out and back miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Videodrome, I don't really want to do vans. I love the big rigs. The reason I'm considering the straight trucks is because they have the kitchens, lol.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Sounds like it's something that comes with time so I won't put that at the top of my list of worries at this point. Thanks!

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Disconnect from the Coffee Pot

Totally true!

Coffee, is a very powerful diuretic drink. Sometimes older folks think that it's the common problems with the aging process that caused the urinary accident and urgency.

Try stopping coffee and other diuretic tinted drinks for a month, most folks will find that they are no longer the dangerous fireman with a hose. Oops! Lol...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
When you say yes to a run , you plan how long is it going take
And where is it going
Time of day
What are traffic problems going to be, const, Rush hour, major weather
When and where you are going to take, stop for a break ,fuel ,lunch etc

Reactions: TeamPaul and TDave

TDave

Expert Expediter
Along with geo's ideas, drive till you get tired or antsy take a rest break 10 to 15. Not long just enough time to refresh.

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There is a big difference in driving a car or pickup and driving a truck. The truck is set up for long distance driving with the curved dash, air ride suspension, air ride seats, tilting steering wheel, big mirrors and the list goes on. I find it much easier to drive our truck for long periods of time and be relaxed then I do our personal vehicle.

Mentally that is much harder until you and the truck fit like a glove. It is stressful when first starting to remember your size, remember your stopping distance, and to be in traffic with all of this going on. With what it sounds like you will be doing it will take a little longer to get over that mental stress and you will not be driving every day. Once you get into a truck full time you will find that anxiety will get less and less each day until it snows or ices.

When the weather turns remember you are the captain of the ship and if you do not feel like you can handle the conditions communicate and stay safe. No one wants an accident including the customer whose freight is on your truck.