The Cain Mutiny

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well there ya go .... forgot any observation of actual, known facts .... I'm just goin' with my "gut" ..... a "hunch" ...... :rolleyes:

..... because ..... wesayso ?

How much do you figure it actually cost to fund and mount them ?

Well, given our own government's penchant to lie and mislead the citizens of the US, that would really come as no great surprise now would it ..... ?

Theoretically, you might have been a position to know ...

Well, I don't see that you've laid out much of a case for anything.

You'd have to present some actual evidence, or data to support your contentions ..... rather than just spin from the Wesayso Corporation ....

Like was pointed earlier: it's half a premise .... with really nothing whatsoever to support it ... other than a little unsupported speculation which lacks any sort of detail ....

Question, have you ever seen an important news story that you had personal experience with that was reported 100% correctly? I have not. Not one. Not from any news outlet. Right wing, left wing, or no wing. Why then would I believe any other news report on this subject?

Why should I believe a "congressional report" either? Why should they be honest? They seldom are. They lie for a living. They have been known in the past to play the "CYA" game, why would they be honest on this subject?

Incidents that I worked on that were not entirely reported correctly or with some sort of "spin" to push an agenda:

The Sino-Soviet border war in the spring of 1972

Gulf of Sidra incident, 19 August 1981

Gulf of Sidra incident, 4 January, 1989

Hurricane Katrina reporting

The "Cheney" hunting accident.

I personally worked on the first 4 "incidents" and was amazed when I saw the reporting. It was like watching a grand fiction production, when they were even reported. The Sino-Soviet clash never even made the news as far as I can remember. That is despite the fact that it could have led to all out war. The reporting on the hunting accident was sad, very sad. I heard an "expert" talking about removing the "shotgun shell" from the man's face. I heard a lawyer from D.C. commenting on Texas law, stating that a hunting license was required in Texas any time the use of a "deadly weapon" is involved.

Those are just some highlights. There have been many other stories like it. How can I trust what I read/hear or see on the news outlets?

It does not matter if a "laid out a case" or not. We don't agree and never will. I know what I was involved with, and cannot "prove it". Some things are still classified.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Question, have you ever seen an important news story that you had personal experience with that was reported 100% correctly? I have not. Not one. Not from any news outlet. Right wing, left wing, or no wing. Why then would I believe any other news report on this subject?
That's the exact reason why people need to use their capacity to exercise personal judgement and discernment - to filter the BS.

I have never maintained that the media is totally honest and is always 100% accurate - however that does not mean that they don't report accurate information .... as well as inaccurate.

As you should know very, very well, good data analysis requires that any and all data be evaluated as to whether it is valid and correct.

One does not reject data simply because of the source - one takes it and checks it out as best one can, weighs it against other known and verified data, other sources, etc. It is, or rather ought to be, a rather dispassionate business.

Why should I believe a "congressional report" either? Why should they be honest? They seldom are. They lie for a living. They have been known in the past to play the "CYA" game, why would they be honest on this subject?
See the above.

BTW - playing the "CYA" game is something that is in no way constrained to "congress" or "politicians" .... bureaucrats, career civil servants, and the military are, IMO, just as inclined (and in some cases, more inclined) to do the very same thing.

In this world, "politics" (as in engaging in) are not confined solely to those holding elective office, or those appointed by those who do - it's simply part of the reality of living in a civil society - no matter who you are.

BTW, in case it hasn't occurred to you, the reasons you state above are the exact reason why one should be very leery of accepting the state's narrative on anything - particularly with regard to the history of this country.

In that vein, allow me to point out that there have been two more recent instances of the unveiling of the truth with regard to the fact that it was actually the US that provoked war with the Japanese in WWII - something that provoked absolute howls of self-righteous protest from many (including yourself I believe :rolleyes:) when I mentioned it sometime back.

Did FDR Provoke Pearl Harbor?

FDR, Pearl Harbor and the U.N.

Incidents that I worked on that were not entirely reported correctly or with some sort of "spin" to push an agenda:

I personally worked on the first 4 "incidents" and was amazed when I saw the reporting.

It was like watching a grand fiction production, when they were even reported. The Sino-Soviet clash never even made the news as far as I can remember. That is despite the fact that it could have led to all out war.
You need to consider very, very carefully the full ramifications of exactly what you have just admitted to here.

Nature abhors a vacuum - absent real facts and the truth, things get reported that are inaccurate - they get assumed, extrapolated, invented, or simply made up.

Exactly whose responsibility is it, to ensure that the facts and truth are made known and reported to the citizens of this nation ?

It certainly can't be those that don't possess them.

How can I trust what I read/hear or see on the news outlets?
Indeed .... :rolleyes:

It does not matter if a "laid out a case" or not. We don't agree and never will. I know what I was involved with, and cannot "prove it". Some things are still classified.
Way, way too many "things" are "still classified" - mainly because pols, bureuacrats, national security freaks, and in some instances the media itself are interested in hiding the truth from the American people, largely for reasons of self-interest, and the maintenance of power.

A nation and civilized society cannot long survive having a citizenry who has been educated down into sheer, blithering idiocy ..... and kept entertained with bread and circuses .....

You are witnessing the final death throes of our nation, as a consequence of the machinations of thoroughly corrupt men, often done under the guise of "national security" ..... ones you no doubt have been employed by, and worked for ....

BTW, I don't condemn you for that ..... you were duped ... just like the rest of us .....

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's absolutely a stretch if you are trying to assert that a bunch of religious wackos are somehow equated to a military force. Apparently, you think 9 guys is a force. You also keep confusing a group of religious extremists with that of a nation state.
There were 19 hijackers armed with boxcutters/knives used to take over the planes, killing pilots and flight attendants in the process. Once the planes were under their control these terrorists had four highly explosive flying bombs at their disposal. Keep in mind that these guys were extensively trained in combat and were on a mission to kill as many Americans as possible. Anyone who doesn't believe these 19 armed reliqious radicals comprised an "armed force" needs to have a conversation with one of our soldiers returning from Afghanistan or Iraq. They were part of Al Quaeda, which was a larger armed militant organization - and no, there's no confusion between them and a nation state.
You also don't have a clue as to what started all this, as you've stated you don't recall us meddling in any Al Quaeda affairs or those of Bin Laden, despite bin Laden many years ago giving two interviews to The Independent's Robert Fisk and then one to CNN's Peter Arnett, where he outlined exactly what the problems were, and what the consequences would be if our meddling continued.
Actually, I and most everyone else that has read a book or newspaper knows exactly what OBL claimed were his reasons or justifications for these attacks and his activities. I'm just trying to get your definition or explanation of what constitutes "meddling" but it looks like that's not going to happen.

So for those who need to be refreshed in the causes of 911 according to OBL, here you go, straight from his lips to the ears of Peter Arnett:

BIN LADIN: "We declared jihad against the US government, because the US government is unjust, criminal and tyrannical. It has committed acts that are extremely unjust, hideous and criminal whether directly or through its support of the Israeli occupation of the Prophet's Night Travel Land (Palestine). And we believe the US is directly responsible for those who were killed in Palestine, Lebanon and Iraq. The mention of the US reminds us before everything else of those innocent children who were dismembered, their heads and arms cut off in the recent explosion that took place in Qana (in Lebanon). This US government abandoned even humanitarian feelings by these hideous crimes. It transgressed all bounds and behaved in a way not witnessed before by any power or any imperialist power in the world. They should have been considerate that the qibla (Mecca) of the Muslims upheaves the emotion of the entire Muslim World. Due to its subordination to the Jews the arrogance and haughtiness of the US regime has reached, to the extent that they occupied the qibla of the Muslims (Arabia) who are more than a billion in the world today. For this and other acts of aggression and injustice, we have declared jihad against the US, because in our religion it is our duty to make jihad so that God's word is the one exalted to the heights and so that we drive the Americans away from all Muslim countries. As for what you asked whether jihad is directed against US soldiers, the civilians in the land of the Two Holy Places (Saudi Arabia, Mecca and Medina) or against the civilians in America, we have focused our declaration on striking at the soldiers in the country of The Two Holy Places. The country of the Two Holy Places has in our religion a peculiarity of its own over the other Muslim countries. In our religion, it is not permissible for any non-Muslim to stay in our country. Therefore, even though American civilians are not targeted in our plan, they must leave. We do not guarantee their safety, because we are in a society of more than a billion Muslims. A reaction might take place as a result of US government's hitting Muslim civilians and executing more than 600 thousand Muslim children in Iraq by preventing food and medicine from reaching them. So, the US is responsible for any reaction, because it extended its war against troops to civilians. This is what we say. As for what you asked regarding the American people, they are not exonerated from responsibility, because they chose this government and voted for it despite their knowledge of its crimes in Palestine, Lebanon, Iraq and in other places and its support of its agent regimes who filled our prisons with our best children and scholars. We ask that may God release them."

For the entire interview, see the link below

Transcript of Osama Bin Ladin interview by Peter Arnett
Sticking our nose into other people's business, instead of minding our own. Trying to force them to do things they don't want to do, simply because we want them to do it. Doing things that negatively affect them despite their objections.
So if we distill his core reasons out of the above gobbledygook, his reasons for the 911 attacks and others was because we (1) Stood by our ally Israel and supported them in their conflicts with the Palestinians and other adversaries in the region, (2) came into Saudi Arabia at the request of their King and the Saudi Royal Family to provide protection and help them build up their defense forces during and after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait ( keep in mind this was the same Saudi King that tossed Bin Laden's flea-bitten carcass out of the country because of his radical anti-establishment behavior) and (3) imposed sanctions on Iraq after chasing them out of Kuwait.

This is MEDDLING??
That's incredibly arrogant to think that any an all aspects of US foreign policy should be tolerated without objection or retaliation.
Objection and retaliation are one thing - acts of war are quite another. Especially when Al Quaeda doesn't represent the govts of Saudi Arabia, Iraq or even the PLO.

Regarding our involvement in the mideast, we've been buying oil from the countries over there for decades and US oil companies have interests there in development and refineries. Of course we're going to be involved with their governments at a business level, to say nothing of the foreign aid we dump over there for better or worse. This false concept of "meddling" was probably started by a number of liberal politicians, not just Ron Paul. The idea that Iran is developing a nuclear weapon because we've been bullying them is just nonsense. They're the world's leading state sponsor of terrorism, and after witnessing North Korea develop nuclear weapons without so much as a sniffle from the U.S. it should be no surprise that they plunge into it full speed ahead. Since the Obama administration is clueless about the possible consequences if this project runs its course, our next president or possibly the Israelis will most certainly have to "meddle" in their affairs - if that's what you call bombing their nuclear facilities and support structures. But if we only send a crew of about 20-25 seals over there in the dead of night it would just be an "act of violence" - NOT an act of war.:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
They were part of Al Quaeda, which was a larger armed militant organization - and no, there's no confusion between them and a nation state.

Apparently there is.

When it is brought up as part of an act of war, it seems the same spinning to set it up as a reasonable explanation to fight something that is not a country is nothing more than baseless propaganda.

The real issue with meddling is what is definition of meddling not by us, the people of the US but by those who are viewing us as the enemy. In some cases, like Iran, it is justified no matter how one wants to make it out as from our point of view because it is their point of view that counts no matter how you want to look at it. In the sense of meddling, Iran has two reasons for not liking us, one was to usrp their government in the 40's and supporting a repressive dictator and the other is siding with their enemy, the Sauds. One thing that is rather a joke is the idea we "provide protection and help them build up their defense forces during and after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait" - that protection is not what it seems and the build up of their defensive military is questionable. The misstatement here is provide protection, we are providing a distraction for the Sauds by being a bigger target than they would be for different groups, which Iran is one such group.

Is our national interest is providing the Sauds protection or being a target in exchange for little to nothing?

Speaking of Israel, I am wondering how many remember our roll in getting them to stop in the second Lebanon war? I think the Bush administration among a lot of "supporters" were critical of Israel and after it was all over, we gave money to them which ended up in the pockets of Hezbollah. So if we are going to be critical of them, why do we keep insisting on saying to the world we support them, especially when they were doing something we were doing somewhere else?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When it is brought up as part of an act of war, it seems the same spinning to set it up as a reasonable explanation to fight something that is not a country is nothing more than baseless propaganda.
This position is nonsense. The idea in this day and age that "war" can only happen between countries or nation states is narrow minded and naive to say the least. These Islamist terrorist groups such as Al Quaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, the PLO are all organized, structured militant organizations - armies if you will. They can launch attacks on anyone they please, whether or not it's at the behest of a sponsor like Iran or a mission of their own making. If they attack the U.S., Israel, Great Britain, Spain, India, whatever - it's an act of war that deserves a response in kind. The Bush doctrine was spot on in that it declared that we would retaliate against these militant forces and any country that gave them safe haven.
The real issue with meddling is what is definition of meddling not by us, the people of the US but by those who are viewing us as the enemy. In some cases, like Iran, it is justified no matter how one wants to make it out as from our point of view because it is their point of view that counts no matter how you want to look at it.
Not hardly. A prime example is the recent mission into Pakistan to kill Bin Laden. The Pakistanis have obviously been harboring this terrorist for years, in spite of their claim to be an "ally" of the U.S. Our incursion into their territory to kill this known enemy combatant was probably considered "meddling" by the Pakistani government - so what? In this instance their definition of "meddling" doesn't matter. What matters is the best interest of the United States - PERIOD. If they or any other nation state offers safe haven to this terrorist organization that's a declared enemy of the U.S., they need to know we'll come get them whether they like it or not. The idea that these terrorist cells should be treated as criminals is beyond absurd - they are enemy combatants pure and simple. Letting them define themselves as criminals could let them hide behind the protection of extradition laws or even diplomatic immunity.
One thing that is rather a joke is the idea we "provide protection and help them build up their defense forces during and after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait" - that protection is not what it seems and the build up of their defensive military is questionable.
Once again you ignore the fact that we were there AT THE REQUEST OF THE SAUDI GOVERNMENT. At that point in time the Saudi military couldn't match up with Saddam's forces. Needless to say, it was in our best interests to drive Saddam out of Kuwait and keep him out of the Saudi oil fields. Neither the Kuwaitis or the Saudis considered it "meddling" then or now. Right now the Saudi government is probably wondering whether or not they can depend on Barack Hussein Obama for help if Iran starts displaying a bellicose attitude, especially considering their developing nuclear threat. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

This "meddling" argument is just part of the Ron Paul "mind our own business and everybody will like us" isolationist doctrine that's not grounded in reality.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
This "meddling" argument is just part of the Ron Paul "mind our own business and everybody will like us" isolationist doctrine that's not grounded in reality.
Yeah, no doubt ..... afterall, look how horribly that paradigm has worked out for the Swiss and the Finns .... :rolleyes:

BTW, with all of your recent comprehensional difficulties, you should dig out a dictionary and crack it open and really learn the difference between non-interventionism and isolationism.

Ain't the same thing.

When you've finished that little task, try learning all the different forms a logical fallacy can take ....

Then, being able to recognize them, you can probably wean yourself off a little at a time .... maybe a one a week .... just so ya don't start jonesin' and go into full-blown withdrawl like a crack addict ....

After a year or two, you'll be a totally new man ... if we're lucky .....

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This position is nonsense.

Not at all nonsense except to those who just don't see the mechanism and the effect behind it. It is the same problem with those who only pick out the negitive of Islam which is perpetrated by the few, not the many.

Since 2001, we have been on this kick of patriotism and the just fight but when it is examined in a different neutral light without the political spin (left or right, conservative or liberal), it makes no sense why much of it has happened - from the formation of the DHS to the TSA to the participation in NATO. None of that stuff is patriotic but just the opposite.

A further sad addition to this is how we allowed ourselves to d*mn a religion and pretty much allowed religious zealots who want to see a modern version of the crusade to take place under the banner of Jesus.

The idea in this day and age that "war" can only happen between countries or nation states is narrow minded and naive to say the least.

Nope it isn't. It seems that when people want to expand on the idea, we go back to the age old problem of redefining what war is for purposes other than protection. One example I used was the Jews, Hitler among others, like the French declared war on the Jews and tried to exterminate them. This led to the killing of 6 million Jews. BUT that was only one example, Lenin with the kulak during the Red Terror and the Turks killing the Armenians.

These Islamist terrorist groups such as Al Quaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, the PLO are all organized, structured militant organizations - armies if you will. They can launch attacks on anyone they please, whether or not it's at the behest of a sponsor like Iran or a mission of their own making. If they attack the U.S., Israel, Great Britain, Spain, India, whatever - it's an act of war that deserves a response in kind.

Not really.

See there is a difference between a nation and a group like the PLO. You can join or dis-join a group but it is not easy to become disassociated with a nation. There are a lot of groups that are militant in nature, our police force has become one, we have vet organizations that also have a militant tone to them and many MCs across the country are just the same. The reasoning to lump them all together, Nations/Groups, seems to be based on redefining what why we are fighting something that we can't win through propaganda.

This does not mean that there should be an approriate response but how does one respond to a group? Unless it is within our country, we have and always had limited options unless we took the Mossad form of retribution ... which in this day and age we don't have a d*mn chance to do that.

The Bush doctrine was spot on in that it declared that we would retaliate against these militant forces and any country that gave them safe haven.

The Bush doctrine was not spot on, it formed a national policy akin of that of Wilson and Eisenhower, where we have to intervene on the behalf of our national interest.

The other part of the doctrine may or may not have been all that good depending on what you think is alright to do, mainly Iraq and the destabilization of Iran. We failed there because we didn't do what was needed - close the borders - and allowed much more PC crap to take over the operation, leaving too much what ifs' on the front line. The same thing has happened in Afghanistan where Iran is actually a part of the landscape - building university buildings in Kabul and having a hand in some agricultural buildup for export.

Not hardly. A prime example is the recent mission into Pakistan to kill Bin Laden. The Pakistanis have obviously been harboring this terrorist for years, in spite of their claim to be an "ally" of the U.S.

So let's go to war Pakistan.

Isn't that the prime directive?

The problem is not that they were harboring anyone, the problem is that we, THE UNITED STATES, should be absolutely embarrassed that we took ten years to find the guy and still took the time to 'respect' his rights.

As for Pakistan, we are incapable of understanding them or the impact that they could have on us and because of that, we seem to be focusing on the wrong things and ignoring the issues they, and India pose to our national security.

Our incursion into their territory to kill this known enemy combatant was probably considered "meddling" by the Pakistani government - so what? In this instance their definition of "meddling" doesn't matter. What matters is the best interest of the United States - PERIOD.

Really?

PERIOD?

How observant can one be.

The national security of our country is being failed by worrying about this one guy, he is a symbol of revenge at any cost - nothing more.

The issue of Pakistan with Nukes should be of national importance, not Bin Laden. The issue of Pakistan goig to war with India over Kashmir or some other issue should be very important to us, but it is a war that we have been fighting by any means is too important to us.

DO YOU understand those two issues and how they can have a devastating affect on our country?

Maybe not.

If they or any other nation state offers safe haven to this terrorist organization that's a declared enemy of the U.S., they need to know we'll come get them whether they like it or not.

So why are we not going after Russia or China?

The idea that these terrorist cells should be treated as criminals is beyond absurd - they are enemy combatants pure and simple.

Agreed if this happens on Foreign Soil where we have a presences and permission to operate.

Disagree if this is on our own soil.

It does not matter when it comes to our rights - to give that up for an individual to come to grips with our own inability to protect ourselves is no excuse.

Letting them define themselves as criminals could let them hide behind the protection of extradition laws or even diplomatic immunity.

Again we can't operate like the Mossad so it is not our right to meddle with another country until we start acting up as a grown up country.

Once again you ignore the fact that we were there AT THE REQUEST OF THE SAUDI GOVERNMENT. At that point in time the Saudi military couldn't match up with Saddam's forces. Needless to say, it was in our best interests to drive Saddam out of Kuwait and keep him out of the Saudi oil fields.

That threat was long gone by 1995, so there is no reason why we are there other than to protect the Sauds against Iran. That's what is was always about - not Iraq. The Sauds were not worried about Saddam and never were, Kuwait was not important to them, all because they knew that if Saddam invaded, Syria and other countries would come to their defense - they are the center of Islam.

Neither the Kuwaitis or the Saudis considered it "meddling" then or now. Right now the Saudi government is probably wondering whether or not they can depend on Barack Hussein Obama for help if Iran starts displaying a bellicose attitude, especially considering their developing nuclear threat. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Actually we are VERY limited in what we do and how we do it. We can't even have other religions represented in any form there, so to think that we have the freedom to operate as we need to is a big stretch.

They know that Iran won't nuke them, they also know they can't depend on us for help but as an alternative target thanks to our relationship with Israel. Mecca is in Saudi Arabia and that is what Iran wants, so they will damage as much as they can except they won't Mecca or any other holy sites. They may go after the oil fields but that will damage their progress so even if Iran has nukes (WHICH I don't doubt they already have), the Sauds are more worried about containing conventionally Iran than anything else.

On top of that, we, THE UNITED STATES, also seem to think that we are the only power that can do anything. Our arrogance which has gotten us into this mess is also denying us the clear vision that China and Russia have territorial stakes in the Middle East which brings them into the issue. They have part of the Kashmir region and that puts them at odds with us on Pakistan, so if we make a move against Pakistan, China may step in to stop US. If we go after Iran, Russia who shares a water border with Iran may do the same thing.

I don't see it as an Isolationist Doctrine, I see it as a contraction off the world stage for our own good. We don't need to be involved with North/South Korea, that is a problem for the UN. We don't need to be involved with the Balkans, that is a European issue, and the Middle East was forced on us by the collapse of the colony system that Europe had. Our meddling, like the overthrow of the Iranian government for Oil is one of many examples of our shortsightedness and is one of the issues we, the citizens, have a lack of knowledge and understanding because we haven't experienced it ... yet. If we did, we would understand their point and the point of Paul, but until then we should be making better decisions on what we are fighting for and how we fight. Afghanistan is lost, the writing is on the walls (literally) and we need to decide if we want to protect the Sauds, who keep repressing their people while we are looked down upon by the people of the middle east because of what we do to damage the people.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Since 2001, we have been on this kick of patriotism You maybe since 9/11.However for myself and many others in this country our patriotism started long befor This country was attacked.

On top of that, we, THE UNITED STATES, also seem to think that we are the only power that can do anything..

Nope just seem to be the only country with the KOHONES to do anything about a group of people who are set on killing anyone the want.

Maybe some that claim it is a group and not a country that attacked us should relearn their history.How convenient some seem to forget the taliban was in power in Afghanistan when 9/11 happend.How they seem to ignor that Al-Qaeda's base was in Afghanistan with the blessing of the Taliban government.Or how Al-Qaeda was the tabilans army.Killing thousands of Afghanistans that opposed the tabilan.

How sad it is that some people truly belive that OBL only attacked us because of the "So called Meddleing"They seem to not look at his history of Violence towards anyone who he did not like,his thirst for the blood of those who did not fall into his Religious views.You can belive that he did not like us because we set up a base at mecca if that is what helps you sleep better at night but when you look at the mans life as a whole you see he was in fact just a savage with a blood thirst that could not be quenched.IMHO to use its because of our meddiling is an easy excuse to not face the facts as they really are.Al-Qaeda as a group is in fact backed and protected by other countrys.

The fact that we have some who would treat these people as criminals is well funny.Do any of you really think that these countrys that protect Al-Qaeda would just hand over its leaders to the U.S?If so you are Wrong.In 1998 after the U.S. Embassy bombings OBL was linkend to them the US demanded that the Talibam hand him over to us They laughed at us.Just as they were givin the chance to hand over OBL and those who helped carry out 9/11 again they laughed.They did offer to try him there if we handed over all of what it called "solid evidence".

So how would one go about bringing those who carryed out attacks against america and its people to justice?Would we send forces into countrys like we did in Pakistan?With paul as president the answer is no.As he has said he would not have ordered the raid.He would have asked Pakistan to hand him over.What I find funny is Paul seems to think that they would have.Does not matter that he was in the country in plain sight living just a short distance from a army base.So what do we do put those that want all americans dead on a most wanted list.then wait for them to come to us?Yeah that would work.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You maybe since 9/11.However for myself and many others in this country our patriotism started long befor This country was attacked.

Nope been a backer of my country most of my life.

Nope just seem to be the only country with the KOHONES to do anything about a group of people who are set on killing anyone the want.

Well that may be true but the issue isn't having the nerve to do something but having the nerve to say what's wrong with us and correcting it so we can be more effective in how we go about things.

Comparably speaking, we knew more about our enemies, like the Soviets, in the past than we do now.

Maybe some that claim it is a group and not a country that attacked us should relearn their history.

Relearn what?

OK let's go back to our involvement with say the Philippines between 1898 and 1920. Relearn that history a bit to acknowledge the difference between a group and government?

No matter how you and others want to cut it, being part of a group is different than being part of a country.

How convenient some seem to forget the taliban was in power in Afghanistan when 9/11 happend.

Yep we know that, don't have to relearn that.

How they seem to ignor that Al-Qaeda's base was in Afghanistan with the blessing of the Taliban government.

Well who seemed to ignore what?

Under Clinton, which defined the country, we were to present a civil position within the international community which meant that we were to find the people and try them in a court of law - which is a lot like the world court et al.

BUT that wasn't just part of the problem, the other part was the lack of intelligence and still is.

Or how Al-Qaeda was the tabilans army.Killing thousands of Afghanistans that opposed the tabilan.

They were not their army, they trained some of their elite forces.

How sad it is that some people truly belive that OBL only attacked us because of the "So called Meddleing"They seem to not look at his history of Violence towards anyone who he did not like,his thirst for the blood of those who did not fall into his Religious views.

It isn't sad, we were a target of many who are like him and will be, but the sad thing is our arrogance and ignorance prevails to force much of the country into thinking that we can win something and instill fear into those who oppose us just by our name.

You can belive that he did not like us because we set up a base at mecca if that is what helps you sleep better at night but when you look at the mans life as a whole you see he was in fact just a savage with a blood thirst that could not be quenched.

Well we're not in Mecca, that would be something else but we are in the Middle East and that is enough for many who see no end to our presence or occupation.

IMHO to use its because of our meddiling is an easy excuse to not face the facts as they really are.Al-Qaeda as a group is in fact backed and protected by other countrys.

I think it all comes down to the stupidity of others who think that a "war on Terror" can be won by brute force which pretty much sums up the mentality of most who just don't get it.

The fact that we have some who would treat these people as criminals is well funny.Do any of you really think that these countrys that protect Al-Qaeda would just hand over its leaders to the U.S?

Nope I don't and that's why I think that most people don't understand the difference between Mossad and our military/CIA. We can't do much with the manner we do it in, we fail ourselves without thinking about how this would actually impact people and things like getting Bin Laden would have been better off in the background than in the press.

Now if you don't get what that all means than I have to ask why is it I know what operations were going on by the CIA in Libya?

On top of that, Libya should be a great illustration for many - if they get the part that it is a country that showed no threat to us at this time and we took steps to punish people when we didn't have to be involved.

If so you are Wrong.In 1998 after the U.S. Embassy bombings OBL was linkend to them the US demanded that the Talibam hand him over to us They laughed at us.Just as they were givin the chance to hand over OBL and those who helped carry out 9/11 again they laughed.They did offer to try him there if we handed over all of what it called "solid evidence".

Of course they laughed at us, without any real power, they didn't care what we said or asked for.

So how would one go about bringing those who carryed out attacks against america and its people to justice?

It depends on the circumstances and what the attack was.

Would we send forces into countrys like we did in Pakistan?

We again it depends on who they are. If say China or Russia was the source of the attack, well would you invade a country like Russia?

With paul as president the answer is no.As he has said he would not have ordered the raid.

Well we don't know. I will tell you that if he got elected, come that December meeting with obama, he would see a lot more than he expected to see. Much of what Obama promised was based on this lack of knowledge and the same thing would hold true with Paul.

He would have asked Pakistan to hand him over.What I find funny is Paul seems to think that they would have.

AND I think with Paul, they would. One reason for that is his contraction of some of the troops (if not all of them) out of the region and the rebuilding of the relationship that was almost ruined by the idiocy of the last two presidents. No one seems to get the idea that between Al queda, Iran, North Korea and Pakistan, that Pakistan is by far the more important issue we have to deal with and is more of real national security issue than any of the others.

Does not matter that he was in the country in plain sight living just a short distance from a army base.So what do we do put those that want all americans dead on a most wanted list.then wait for them to come to us?Yeah that would work.:D

You know bin laden is one of the most embarrassing intel events we have had in the last 40 years. If someone who is wanted so much is just within our reach and has been for years, while we didn't know about it, it shows what our problems are within that community.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Hey ..... utterly Clueless ...... pay attention:

Why Iranians Hate Us and Love Us
by Jacob G. Hornberger

Stephen Kinzer’s excellent op-ed in Sunday’s New York Times provides another side of the story with respect to Iran. The title of the article is, “Iran’s First Great Satan Was England.” The article is an excellent starting point for understanding the background of the relationship between Iran and the United States.

Kinzer carefully documents why Iranians have long hated the British Empire and the U.S. Empire. Beginning in the 19th century, the British Empire treated Iran as one of its colonies. Then, according to Kinzer, “In 1913, the British government maneuvered its way to a contract under which all Iranian oil became its property. Six years later it imposed an ‘agreement’ that gave it control of Iran’s army and treasury. These actions set off a wave of anti-British outrage that has barely subsided.”

During World War II British troops occupied Iran to ensure supply lines would remain open for their war partner, the Soviet communists. The occupation brought about famine and disease among the Iranian people.

After the war ended, Iran attempted to implement a democratic system, but England and the United States would have none of that. When the democratically elected prime minister of Iran, Mohamed Mossadegh, decided to nationalize Iran’s oil, with the unanimous consent of the Iranian parliament, British officials were outraged. As far as the British were concerned, Iran’s oil belonged to the British Empire, not Iran.

Kinzer writes:

Desperate to regain control of Iran’s oil, the British sought to crush Mr. Mossadegh with measures that included harsh economic sanctions — sanctions comparable to the ones they are now imposing. When that failed, they asked President Dwight D. Eisenhower to join in a plot to overthrow him. He agreed, not because he wished to help the British recover their oil but because he had been persuaded that otherwise, Iran might fall to Communism. Iran, after all, was on the southern flank of the Soviet Union, standing between it and the oil fields and warm-water ports of the Persian Gulf.​

The CIA coup succeeded in ousting the democratically elected Mossadegh from power and installing the unelected dictator Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, the “Shah of Iran,” into power. It was the Shah’s severe brutality, fully supported by the U.S. Empire, that ultimately led to the 1979 Iranian revolution, which ousted the Shah from power and installed the Islamic mullahs into power.

As Kinzer puts it, “In Iran, the words ‘anger’ and ‘Britain’ fit easily together. Outside interference is a central fact of modern Iranian history. And for most of the 2oth century, Britain was at the center of it.”

How many Americans know this side of the story? I’d venture to say not very many. After all, this is not the type of thing that is going to be taught to American schoolchildren in America’s public (i.e., government) schools. Those institutions spend 12 years inculcating in American children that the U.S. Empire is a force for good around the world, and nothing can be permitted to interfere with that myth. Those schoolchildren then grow up to become adults, with weak and malleable minds that easily fall for every bit of propaganda issued by the federal government.

But there is reality: After World War II, which cost England its vast empire, the U.S. Empire took its place. Ever since, the U.S. Empire has treated independent and recalcitrant nations just as the British Empire treated Iran — like a nation of an inferior race of people — people who need to be lectured, hectored, controlled, and subjugated through a powerful militarily enforced imperialist foreign policy.

All we hear from U.S. officials is how aggressive Iran is — how it is threatening the world with its aggression — how it’s trying to get WMDs to initiate a nuclear war against the United States — how necessary it is to spend billions of dollars on a missile defense system in Europe to protect against an Iranian attack.

It’s all a bunch of propagandistic crock.

Is Iran surrounding the United States with troops in Mexico and Canada? Are Iranian naval vessels patrolling the coastlines along the eastern and western United States and in the Gulf of Mexico? Is Iran imposing sanctions on the United States, covertly assassinating American scientists, and covertly engaging in cyber attacks on American computer facilities? Is it Iran that is flying spy planes over the United States? Is it Iran that has invaded and occupied two countries in the last 10 years? Is it Iran that has embarked on an international program of kidnapping, torture, assassination, secret international prisons, torture partnerships with brutal dictatorships, and extra-judicial execution?

No, it’s the other way around. It is the U.S. Empire that has Iran surrounded, with imperial troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere around the region. It is the U.S. Empire whose foreign policy is committed to violent regime change operations in nations like Iran — either covertly as the CIA did with Mossadegh or overtly like the Pentagon did with Saddam Hussein. It is the U.S. Empire that has invaded and occupied two countries in the past 10 years. It is the U.S. Empire that is undoubtedly engaged in covert operations in Iran. It is the U.S. Empire that has spy drones flying over Iranian air space. It is the U.S. Empire that is characterized by kidnapping, torture, assassination, secret prisons, torture partnerships with brutal dictatorships, and extra-judicial executions—the things that would be considered state terrorism if they were being done by Iran or any other nation.

And, of course, it’s the British government, harkening back to its halcyon days as an empire, that tags along, doing whatever the U.S. Empire does in the hopes of basking in its imperial glory.

Don’t get me wrong. The Iranian people are suffering under a cruel dictatorship. No doubt about that. But the dictatorship is no more cruel than it was under the Shah, whom Britain and the United States installed into power, after violently ending Iran’s attempt at democracy.

But the fact that Iranians are governed by a cruel dictatorship doesn’t mean that the dictatorship is bent on worldwide conquest. That’s just the type of a cover story that is designed to get Americans to support another violent U.S. regime-change operation, one that might well succeed in killing and maiming another million people or so.

Unfortunately, all too many Americans simply cannot place themselves into the shoes of foreigners who have experienced the heavy boot of the British Empire and the U.S. Empire. That’s ironic, of course, given that our American ancestors hated the British Empire as much as the Iranians do.

Equally ironic is the fact that the Iranian people love both England and the United States. Why is that? The answer lies in what a taxi driver in Cuba, which also has suffered the heavy boot of the U.S. Empire with a brutal embargo, terrorism, and assassination, once said to me. I had asked him, “Why are people in Cuba so nice to me given what my government has done to them for decades?” His response: “What responsibility do you have for what your government has done?”

In other words, the Cuban people, like the Iranian people, are able to do what all too many Americans are unable to do: draw a distinction between the U.S. and British governments and the American and British people. Iranians, like Cubans, love Americans and Englishmen and the values we have long stood for. They simply hate the British and American Empires and what such empires have done to them.

Stephen Kinzer’s article provides Americans with a starting point to understanding the deeply seated resentment, anger, and concern over the U.S. Empire’s actions against Iran, which mirror those of its worldwide predecessor, the British Empire. Understanding why people around the world feel the way they do about the U.S. Empire is a necessary and important step toward putting our own nation on the right track — away from empire and toward the principle of a constitutional republic on which our nation was founded.

P.S. I highly recommend watching Stephen Kinzer’s excellent speech at our conference “Restoring the Republic 2008: Foreign Policy and Civil Liberties.”

Jacob Hornberger is founder and president of the Future of Freedom Foundation.

....... and that's just for starters .....

Why Iranians Hate Us and Love Us

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know the funny thing Rlent is most of the people who are so incensed of attacking Iran fall into two groups, those who think that the embassy thing was not our fault or they never talked to an Iranian to hear their side of things.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You know the funny thing Rlent is most of the people who are so incensed of attacking Iran fall into two groups, those who think that the embassy thing was not our fault
Any present difficulties we may have with Iran are blowback - plain and simple - interestingly (and very ironically, for this discussion), the CIA recognized the possibility and potential for it, and coined the concept and the word describing it, out of the very circumstances of our actions in the overthrow of a democratically elected leader ..... in where ?

IRAN .... of all places ....

Blowback is the espionage term for unintended consequences of a covert operation that are suffered by the civil population of the aggressor government. To the civilians suffering the blowback of covert operations, the effect typically manifests itself as “random” acts of political violence without a discernible, direct cause; because the public—in whose name the intelligence agency acted—are ignorant of the effected secret attacks that provoked revenge (counter-attack) against them. Specifically, blowback denotes the resultant, violent consequences—reported as news fact, by domestic and international mass communications media, when the actor intelligence agency hides its responsibility via media manipulation. Generally, blowback loosely denotes every consequence of every aspect of a secret attack operation, thus, it is synonymous with consequence—the attacked victims’ revenge against the civil populace of the aggressor country, because the responsible politico-military leaders are invulnerable.

Originally, blowback was CIA internal coinage denoting the unintended, harmful consequences—to friendly populations and military forces—when a given weapon is carelessly used. Examples include anti-Western religious fanatics (see Osama bin Laden) who, in due course, attack foe and sponsor; right-wing counter-revolutionaries who sell drugs to their sponsor’s civil populace (see CIA and Contras cocaine trafficking in the US); and banana republic juntas (see Salvadoran Civil War) who kill American reporters or nuns (see Dorothy Kazel).

In formal, print usage, the term blowback first appeared in the Clandestine Service History—Overthrow of Premier Mossadeq of Iran—November 1952–August 1953, the CIA internal history of the US’s 1953 Iranian coup d'état. Examples of blowback include the CIA’s financing and support for Afghan insurgents to fight an anti-Communist proxy guerilla war against the USSR in Afghanistan; some of the beneficiaries of this CIA support joined al-Qaeda's terrorist campaign against the United States.

In the 1980s blowback was a central theme in the legal and political debates about the efficacy of the Reagan Doctrine, which advocated public and secret support of anti-Communist counter-revolutionaries (usually the losers of civil wars). For example, by secretly funding the secret war of the militarily-defeated, right-wing Contras against the left-wing Sandinista government of Nicaragua, which led to the Iran-Contra Affair, wherein the Reagan Administration sold American weapons to US enemy Iran to arm the Contras with Warsaw Pact weapons, and their consequent drug-dealing in American cities. Moreover, in the case of Nicaragua v. United States, the International Court of Justice ruled against the United States’ secret military attacks against Sandinista Nicaragua, because the countries were not formally at war.

Critics of the Reagan Doctrine note that blowback is inevitable and that such unilateral intervention causes Third World civil wars to expand beyond their borders and risks the long-term safety of Americans who may be killed in the resulting violence. Reagan Doctrine advocates, principally the Heritage Foundation, replied that support for anti-Communists would topple Communist régimes without retaliatory consequences to the United States and help win the global Cold War.

Blowback (intelligence)

Of course, there is a certain contingent of butt-tard morons who choose to remain either willfully ignorant of history, or who prefer to deny that there could any be any possible connection whatsoever between peoples justified indignation at having their lives screwed with ..... and our criminal actions as a state.

Such folks apparently believe that anything we do is right and entirely justified .... simply and solely because it is us doing it.

Boot-licking worshipers of The State one and all (.... except of course, when The State's tender ministrations are focused in their direction .... :rolleyes:)

I regard such folks with absolute, utter scorn and contempt - they do not deserve the peace, security, freedom, and liberty (what is left of it anyways) that they presently enjoy ...... because they would needlessly deny it to others.

or they never talked to an Iranian to hear their side of things.
Why talk to 'em, when ya can just murder them instead ? :mad:

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sorry. Been busy. On a load right now to Laredo, so this'll be quick, too.

"This is MEDDLING??"
Yes, on a ginormous scale. Our meddling put us in the position of having to some to the aid of Saudia Arabia and Kuwait. We should have never been in the position to be asked. Iran is none of our affair, neither is Israel, for that matter.

If American foreign policy was that of "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you," instead of "Do as we say, and like it," then we'd be getting along with a lot more people, fewer would want to kill us, and the world would be a better place.

"This "meddling" argument is just part of the Ron Paul "mind our own business and everybody will like us" isolationist doctrine that's not grounded in reality."

Not even. As has been pointed out, minding your own business (non-interventionism) and isolationism are two very different things.

"This false concept of "meddling" was probably started by a number of liberal politicians, not just Ron Paul."

This false concept was started by a bunch of wackos we now refer to as The Founding Fathers. In George Washington's Farewell Address, he stated "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world." The inaugural pledge of Thomas Jefferson just as clear: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations - entangling alliances with none."

Such viewpoints became far more than mere policy. It became a national expression of ourselves and our place in the world. It was a view which contrasted the simple virtues of our Republic with the subtle and complex qualities of Europe. From 1789 until the Second World War, with the sole exception being our relationship with Panama, the United States refused to enter into treaties of alliance with anyone. Alliances, we believed correctly, would involve us in obscure quarrels and various and sundry rivalries which were none of our concern. Such alliances were both undesirable and completely unnecessary considering our rather unique geographic and political circumstances.

But all that ended with WWII, where in the aftermath we didn't merely reverse the long-standing foreign policy of no entangling alliances, we did so with great gusto. We have allied ourselves with half the world. It's rather insane, really.

We have gone overboard with it, with reckless abandon. We're meddling in places we have no business being, all under the "in the bet interest of the United States", which is a fancy term for "You have something I want, and because I want it, I'm going to take it" (which is one of the basic reasons people and nations go to war).

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"This is MEDDLING??"
Yes, on a ginormous scale. Our meddling put us in the position of having to some to the aid of Saudia Arabia and Kuwait. We should have never been in the position to be asked. Iran is none of our affair, neither is Israel, for that matter.
OK, I'll ask again - specifically, what meddling?? Pretend I just landed from Mars, or just graduated from a public high school.
"This "meddling" argument is just part of the Ron Paul "mind our own business and everybody will like us" isolationist doctrine that's not grounded in reality."
Not even. As has been pointed out, minding your own business (non-interventionism) and isolationism are two very different things.
Maybe in some cases, but there's some gray area in between. Yemen might be an example, where their leaders take a public anti-American stance but privately ask for our help against Al Quaeda.
"This false concept of "meddling" was probably started by a number of liberal politicians, not just Ron Paul."

This false concept was started by a bunch of wackos we now refer to as The Founding Fathers. In George Washington's Farewell Address, he stated "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world." The inaugural pledge of Thomas Jefferson just as clear: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations - entangling alliances with none."
Considering that they were visionaries for their time, it's fair to say they didn't see the two World Wars coming, to say nothing of the global economy and oil as the primary source of energy for modern nations. Then there's the intricacies of international finance, the internet, etc.
But all that ended with WWII, where in the aftermath we didn't merely reverse the long-standing foreign policy of no entangling alliances, we did so with great gusto. We have allied ourselves with half the world. It's rather insane, really.
We have gone overboard with it, with reckless abandon. We're meddling in places we have no business being, all under the "in the bet interest of the United States", which is a fancy term for "You have something I want, and because I want it, I'm going to take it" (which is one of the basic reasons people and nations go to war).
Maybe - kinda, sorta; but IMHO it's more the politically correct U.S. wanting to be everybody's friend and prove ourselves to be the benevolent providers for the downtrodden along with filling in as the world's police. I agree we need to cut out ALMOST all foreign aid - it serves no purpose towards America's best interest. In other cases with true allies - eg. Britain, Israel, India, Australia, Japan, Canada - we need to work with them and offer aid or assistance whenever appropriate. Also it might not be a bad idea to send the UN packing and maybe let them locate their HQ in Switzerland.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Considering that they were visionaries for their time, it's fair to say they didn't see the two World Wars coming, to say nothing of the global economy and oil as the primary source of energy for modern nations. Then there's the intricacies of international finance, the internet, etc.

Well I would have to disagree with this one.

Seeing they have seen a world at war in their life time, not just in Europe but in a few places. England was at war with France on two continents, while there were a couple wars that were fought in the east.

Their warning is as useful and meaningful today as it was when they were alive. Diplomacy and actions of man have not changed at all in the last 250 years and most likely won't for another 250 years.

Global economy?

Seriously, where do you think all of the trouble started for them?

They operated in a global economy and so have been for the past 2000 years or so.

Maybe putting it a different way - the global economy at that time was slowly reacting to issues and news unlike today.

intricacies of international finance?

OK it hasn't really changed much in the last 400 years. The center of international finance has several times and is again.

I agree we need to cut out ALMOST all foreign aid - it serves no purpose towards America's best interest. In other cases with true allies - eg. Britain, Israel, India, Australia, Japan, Canada - we need to work with them and offer aid or assistance whenever appropriate.

Britain, Israel, India, Australia, Japan, Canada does not need our aid for any reason. These countries can stand on their own and unless there is a direct threat to any of them, our aid or assistance should be as limited as theirs to us. These are rich countries, and should also include Korea and Germany too.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Pilgrim,

If you're asking Turtle, he's on a long load right now - he's seen your post, but probably won't reply for at least another 24 hours or so.

OK, I'll ask again - specifically, what meddling??
I provided you with just one example of what happened with respect to Iraq in the 1950's ..... screwing with the right of sovereign people for self-determination and to elect their own leaders.

In my estimation, that's just about as anti-American as one can get - because it flies directly in the face of what was contained within the Declaration of Independence - which, to a large extent, is a statement of who we are (or were) as a people, and as a nation:

"..... it becomes necessary for one people ..... and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them .....

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness"

If one reads and understands the above, as something that we as a nation hold to be true, then it becomes utterly impossible to sanction subverting the rights of others - rights that we believe all men possess ..... without at the same time violating our own moral integrity as a nation ..... we become utter and total hypocrites.

The Founders warned that our form of government was only suitable for a just and moral people.

FWIW, that kinda screwing around with others lives is pretty big deal to some people .... it's something that most peoples tend to remember ..... and in that part of the world it's not unknown to carry a grudge for awhile ....

Pretend I just landed from Mars,
Well, given your seeming lack of knowledge of the dirty, amoral side of our country's conduct of (so-called) "foreign policy" I suppose that might be a reasonable explanation.

Personally, I'm fairly busy at the moment, but in a couple of weeks I should be able to work something up as far as a little continuing education course if need be.

Of course, anyone could just take some personal responsibility for the state of knowledge (or lack thereof) that they currently find themselves in, in this regard, and do the digging on their own.

Be forewarned however - if anyone is predisposed to believe certain things - like say for instance, that the only possible reality is that America is entirely and only a just, righteous, and holy nation, then they will be most likely dooming themselves to utter failure ..... as preconceived and fixed ideas are necessarily the mortal enemy of unflinching, accurate observation of the truth.

or just graduated from a public high school.
I bugged out of that scam three times before I finally got it to stick. And I was lucky to have sustained as little damage as I did.

It's truly great conditioning for being ruled by authoritarians .... just like being in the military is .....

Maybe in some cases, but there's some gray area in between.
No, there really isn't - non-interventionism respects the rights of other peoples to determine their own political systems, elect their own leaders, fight for their own freedom, be responsible for their own security and their relations with others. It allows for commercial, cultural, educational, and social relations between the peoples of respective countries.

Isolationism on the other hand, suggests having no relations of any sort with others, beyond one's own borders. Further, if strictly enforced by a government (as it has in the case of the US with respect to Cuba), it acts as a prohibition on free association and relations between private individuals ..... and I can't think of very much that is more authoritarian and against individual liberty than that.

Clearly, that is probably not in anyone's best interest, given what good things personal observation and the entirety of history tell us about private individuals interacting with other private individuals.

The challenge for us as a species is to build a human civilization on this planet that really merits being proud of. We clearly ain't there yet.

Yemen might be an example, where their leaders take a public anti-American stance but privately ask for our help against Al Qaeda.
If Yemen has a fight with Al Qaeda then really, it's up to them to handle it - doing what we are doing now is a prime example of an entangling alliance - since our being there does nothing more than generate more Al Qaeda and anti-American sentiment, same as it does elsewhere ..... and it makes us a target due to the inevitable mistakes and "collateral damage" that will most assuredly occur, as it has in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.

We need to wise up, consider the Founders very sage advice (and more importantly, understand why they gave it) ... and stop sticking our collective national wiener in the proverbial meat grinder .... and then, with utter astonishment, asking ourselves in complete amazement: "Well why did that hurt ?"

Surely you're not suggesting that the Founders were ignorant of international finance ? :rolleyes:

I would say this: the Founding Fathers considered long and hard the true nature of men and the governments they create ..... they looked to history of both to inform themselves and distilled out of what they found, certain intrinsic and immutable laws with respect to both, and applied it to the task of designing a government worthy of a moral people.

Whether one is speaking of a Roman chariot or a sailing ship of the 18th century (as methods of transport) ..... or the Roman legions vs. the forces of the Third Reich (as implements of war) ..... the true nature of man and government does not substantially change.

You seem to believe that the mere transitory details (which will always be subject to change) have more relevance and importance, and should be given more weight, than the fundamental laws which govern man and his nature.

It is a horribly misplaced importance - and absolutely a very dangerous mistake to make.

Maybe - kinda, sorta; but IMHO it's more the politically correct U.S. wanting to be everybody's friend and prove ourselves to be the benevolent providers for the downtrodden along with filling in as the world's police.
That's the spin of it .... the state-sanctioned narrative ....

The actual truth of it is far, far different ....

I agree we need to cut out ALMOST all foreign aid - it serves no purpose towards America's best interest.
Somewhat inaccurate, although we are in agreement.

It supposedly serves the interests of the US state (government) - because, well, that's how bribery works ... at least in the short term ....

However, in the long-term, it very well may not, likely does not, serve the interests of the American people for several reasons:

1. It's robbery by the US government of the citizens - you and I have no option to refuse to withhold our tax payments - which are extracted under the threat of force - for foreign aid we don't agree with.

2. Since often the aid is used against the citizens of the government that we are supplying it to, or others, it creates the possibility of blowback against US citizens.

In other cases with true allies - eg. Britain, Israel, India, Australia, Japan, Canada - we need to work with them and offer aid or assistance whenever appropriate.
What part of the following seems corn-fusing: entangling ... or .... alliance ?

True allies ?

The only "allies" that are true are those which we have a mutual interest with.

And mutual "interests" are not some sort of thing which are forever static, immutable and never changing - they do, in fact, change .... sometimes quite often ..... which is the exact reason why entangling alliances are so dangerous.

If you want to understand how that works, find a nice girl, establish a serious and close relationship with her, tell her you will love and support her always .... and you want to get married so you can spend the rest of your lives together ...... and then, on the day of the wedding, give her a call and tell her you changed your mind, because you've met someone else ....

I'm sure she won't mind it at all .... :rolleyes:

BTW, in the case of Israel, they sure act more like an enemy in some respects - considering the spying and espionage they have committed against the US.

Also it might not be a bad idea to send the UN packing and maybe let them locate their HQ in Switzerland.
Keep your friends close ...... and your enemies closer .... ;)

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well I would have to disagree with this one.
Diplomacy and actions of man have not changed at all in the last 250 years and most likely won't for another 250 years.
We'll have to once again agree to disagree. IMHO diplomacy and the actions of man have been drastically affected by technology and its influence on their activities. People all over the world can see and hear these politicians, diplomats, etc. and witness their actions and statements in real time. You don't consider this different from communications available during WW I?
They operated in a global economy and so have been for the past 2000 years or so.
Maybe putting it a different way - the global economy at that time was slowly reacting to issues and news unlike today.
Once again - technology anyone? Not to mention the way currencies exchange, global trades are made almost instantly, and the investment vehicles (eg. derivatives) are vastly more sophisticated than even during WW II. We're talking Star Trek vis-a-vis Bonanza.
intricacies of international finance?
OK it hasn't really changed much in the last 400 years. The center of international finance has several times and is again.
You're saying the intricacies of international finance haven't changed much since the 1600's :eek: ??
Britain, Israel, India, Australia, Japan, Canada does not need our aid for any reason. These countries can stand on their own and unless there is a direct threat to any of them, our aid or assistance should be as limited as theirs to us. These are rich countries, and should also include Korea and Germany too.
That's why I said "we need to work with them and offer aid or assistance whenever appropriate - and we can include South Korea and Germany.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We'll have to once again agree to disagree.

That's cool.

IMHO diplomacy and the actions of man have been drastically affected by technology and its influence on their activities. People all over the world can see and hear these politicians, diplomats, etc. and witness their actions and statements in real time.

I said - Diplomacy and actions of man have not changed at all in the last 250 years and most likely won't for another 250 years - and stand by that. Man hasn't change, we have the same desires, wants and needs as we did 250 years ago and will for the next 250 years. BUT still the basic functions of diplomacy will remain as it has for centuries. The tools used (technology), the publics access and other things have and will continue to do so.

You don't consider this different from communications available during WW I?

No, because that was a different time and the stakes, albeit were high, were not quick to change and the damage done wasn't on a global scale - as in WW2 - or even quick like a nuke.

Once again - technology anyone? Not to mention the way currencies exchange, global trades are made almost instantly, and the investment vehicles (eg. derivatives) are vastly more sophisticated than even during WW II. We're talking Star Trek vis-a-vis Bonanza.

Well technology has open the door for more movement of money but again the basics haven't changed a bit. We can look back at say the 15th century and see the same thing going on then as today, trade. Global trades were slower but it doesn't matter because if one considers that everything being done is being done for one or two basic things, then all of the other stuff is built on those one or two things really doesn't make it more complex or problematic.

As for Derivatives, I can point to many many things in history that take that argument of complexity away. Technology is just a tool, the trades are just as simple or complex as they used to be - one example is the Dutch Tulip bulb mania.

You're saying the intricacies of international finance haven't changed much since the 1600's :eek: ??

Yep on many levels.

Take away the political motivation of global involvement, like with the IMF and the UN and you have the same system of international finance as you did in the 16th century. Actually thinking about it, you can go back to the 11th century and the middle east to see the progression we have had which is little. Money gets exchanged, loans made and money made off of the lent money. Whether it is the Bedouins or Venetians (Marco Polo anyone?) or Rothschilds, the basics of international finance has not changed a bit.

Although one thing that has slightly changed is how we justify our financial systems within our governments. Our banking system and the theories used to run our government have gone through a progression and still when we look back and see, it is still the basics - we have to avoid debt on every level in order to progress forward. Outside of clinging to outdated Keynesian (and Reich) theories, which has been a dismal failure, we still can't come to grips that our founding fathers had it right the first time.

Technology has allowed us to react faster and open more of the behind the scenes goings on to the public but when you come down to it, the problems that we have today are not based on some complex formula that we just discovered but that of the basic issues we have always faced.

That's why I said "we need to work with them and offer aid or assistance whenever appropriate - and we can include South Korea and Germany.

Actually NO we don't need to provide any aid or assistance to them until they are in need and the likeliness of that is slim.

South Korea is a rich country, they have a big manufacturing base that we don't have and they can be self-supportive on many things, including their military. We don't need to render any assistance to them nor do we need to man a fence to protect them. There are five other countries who have a direct involvement to contain Korea and just one of them are manning the fence along side of us.

Germany is another case where they have a large military, they are involved with Nato and the EU so our presence there is not needed and surely for a country that is looked on as the moneybasket for the EU, we don't need to assist them with anything but maybe they need to consider paying us back.