The Big Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Today I responded to a Facebook post by Load 1. They were showcasing their new company trucks and trailers. Personally, I would never lease a truck to any company that has their own trucks; the reasons should be obvious. That is one thing that moved me toward being an independent. Load 1 invited me to stop by and talk to their happy O/O's. I said they probably would not like me to do so as I could explain in 30 minutes to those drivers how they could double their earnings; then they would have no one to run their loads.

Then another poster responded saying that considering the time consuming nature of paperwork, searching for loads and not getting paid for loads completed, I might not be as far ahead as I think I am.

I went on to explain to him that I ran a near "paperless" business (thank you for technology), and that the time I invested in looking at loads was more fruitful than sitting around in trucker's lounges swapping lies. Additionally, I ALWAYS was paid for work completed because I never ran freight for any company that had a poor credit rating; very easy to find out once you know the system. Moreover, I reminded him that lease companies love you because you carry all of the responsibility and they do not have to invest in a fleet of trucks. And that you still to submit paperwork, you have to make the truck payment, you have to pay for the truck license, you have to pay for the insurance, you have to pay for your medical exam, you have to pay for freight not delivered on time, you have to pay for the truck maintenance, etc.....and so do independents. The critical difference is that I made more income in my first year as an independent than the three years combined as a lease O/O.

Load 1, like so many others, did not like to hear the truth. They deleted my posts and blocked me from making any posts on their wall. That proves that my statements were correct. You can always tell the character of any company that resists engaging in debate. They only want you to see one of their two faces. And that is why myself and another associate never won any bids submitted Load 1 because they run cheap. We refer to them as Load None. Our bids were less per mile than the bids we submitted to many smaller carriers and those smaller carriers awarded us the loads. But not Load None.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Is this needed here? I'm not with load 1 but I hear very highly of them. I am on their facebook as well and enjoyed seeing their new cascadia and curtain side drop deck.

I would look at what you did as offensive. Sounds as if your here to cause trouble.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but looking at trucks and somebody getting paid a decent rate for their efforts are vastly different in context.

And to say that being an independent is not as profitable as being a lease O/O is not factual.

And speaking the truth will always cause trouble, because companies want to protect their sacred cow (i.e. read cash).

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but looking at trucks and somebody getting paid a decent rate for their efforts are vastly different in context.

And to say that being an independent is not as profitable as being a lease O/O is not factual.

And speaking the truth will always cause trouble, because companies want to protect their sacred cow (i.e. read cash).

I'm not saying I would rather look at trucks than someone get a fair rate. What if their drivers are there because they don't want the hassle of being independent? Is that the fault of load 1 or just the o/o decision?

As far as I hear they all get very good rates and haven't heard anyone say otherwise.

Mayfield Express

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
And that is exactly my point.

Thank you for making it clear.

Lease companies want you to believe it is a "hassle" being an independent. I was even told that in a lease company's orientation.

It is NOT a hassle. The newbie just needs somebody to guide them through the process. And the rewards will always outpace the crumbs being passed out by lease companies.

That is why I was able to retire 3 years ahead of schedule, build a tourist boat here in the Philippines and open a travel agency.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I didn't say I agree with you. My dad was o/o with truck and trailer. He dealt with having to take crap no one else wanted because brokers with good paying loads didn't want to deal with him. Don't get me started on the fact we lost our house,family car and his truck and trailer because of slow pay.

He went back to o/I for company and completely turned things around. Good for you, you were able to retire in one of the cheapest countries to live in. You are an exception to the average joe with a truck/van or sprinter.

Mayfield Express

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That proves nothing other than load 1's facebook page was not the venue for such a thing. You were happy with your business model others are happy leasing neither is better it just depends on what the person want's and need's are.

cubevanman

Active Expediter
I am leased to load 1 and proud of it. Your opinion of load 1 is solely yours... But the unwarranted bashing of load 1 is completely offensive. Your outlook on load 1 is very wrong in my opinion. Load 1 has treated me with utmost respect for what i do. This is a excellent company to drive for. The pay is fair across the board and will prove it on any request.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
And that is exactly my point.

Thank you for making it clear.

Lease companies want you to believe it is a "hassle" being an independent. I was even told that in a lease company's orientation.

It is NOT a hassle. The newbie just needs somebody to guide them through the process. And the rewards will always outpace the crumbs being passed out by lease companies.

That is why I was able to retire 3 years ahead of schedule, build a tourist boat here in the Philippines and open a travel agency.

Just so you know, I am very good friends with the person who purchased your last van. You know, the one where you shared all of your secrets to success? He consulted with me more than once during the process of buying your van. He has told me the numbers that you told him. I know the approximate number of miles it had on it in approximately 1 year of use and I know your gross revenue during that one year. I'll tell you the same thing I have told him. On different occassions, he has encouraged me to consider what you were doing. I keep telling him that it would be rather foolish of me to do that, when I'm doing as well or better at Load1...according to your own records.

Would this by chance be a segway into an announcement about your self-proclaimed secrets to expediting fortune book you talked about a few months ago?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since we are one of the highest paid of lease carriers, Iam wondering why the OP has targeted Load 1?
I have no want to get my own loads nor anything to do with collection... I am quite happy paying someone to do that for me.....as always to each their own....you do it your way, fine by me. Congrats!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
That is because you have always driven for a lease company so how could you compare? I have done both.

I am not bashing Load 1. That is always a cheap out for not wanting to discuss any issues that may not be in line with the opinions of others.

When I was a lease O/O I never worked with any company that owned their own trucks. It should require no quantum leap in intelligence to understand why.

And the Philippines is far from the cheapest country in which to live. And what you don't know, because you failed to ask (it's called communication) is why I chose to live here. Since you failed to ask I will be gracious enough to explain it to you.

My step father is Filipino. I visited here in 1987, fell in love with the people and the climate. I made it my goal to return here someday. I was able to live out my dream.

And to say what works for someone...etc. is like old guard communists telling us how great their system was. Yeah. Because they were the only ones that had any money; much like the folks who operate lease companies. They have very little capital invested, but their profits are great. Honestly, if I was 30 something I would start lease company.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That is because you have always driven for a lease company so how could you compare? I have done both.

I am not bashing Load 1. That is always a cheap out for not wanting to discuss any issues that may not be in line with the opinions of others.

When I was a lease O/O I never worked with any company that owned their own trucks. It should require no quantum leap in intelligence to understand why.

And the Philippines is far from the cheapest country in which to live. And what you don't know, because you failed to ask (it's called communication) is why I chose to live here. Since you failed to ask I will be gracious enough to explain it to you.

My step father is Filipino. I visited here in 1987, fell in love with the people and the climate. I made it my goal to return here someday. I was able to live out my dream.

And to say what works for someone...etc. is like old guard communists telling us how great their system was. Yeah. Because they were the only ones that had any money; much like the folks who operate lease companies. They have very little capital invested, but their profits are great. Honestly, if I was 30 something I would start lease company.

The first thing you need to do is get your facts straight. I have no knoweldge whatsoever of LoadOne owning ANY expedite vehicles of any sort. The trucks they own are Tractor/Trailers hauling truckload freight.

It really doesn't matter why you chose to retire to the phillipines. What does matter is the fact that you try to make it sound like anyone who goes the independent route can retire on all the extra money they will make. I believe that the only reason you were able to retire early is because you retired in the Phillipines. My money says you couldn't make it 6 months if you were to return to the U.S.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Load 1 has no company trucks in the expedite division. Since you failed to ask I thought I would tell you. It was very clear you were bashing load1 to try and deny that is foolish.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Rocketman my paid invoices clearly show the whole story.

I will glady send you the copies.

The mileage driven for business was approximately 70,000 miles and the average rate was 1.49 per mile. You do the math. I never made that kind of money as a lease O/O.

The buyer was privy to my current savings at the time of our transaction, but we never discussed the investments that were paid for by the profit generated by my work.

Tim is a great guy and he got a fair deal. We just did not have enough time to discuss every facet of my business plan.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Rocketman my paid invoices clearly show the whole story.

I will glady send you the copies.

The mileage driven for business was approximately 70,000 miles and the average rate was 1.49 per mile. You do the math. I never made that kind of money as a lease O/O.

The buyer was privy to my current savings at the time of our transaction, but we never discussed the investments that were paid for by the profit generated by my work.

Tim is a great guy and he got a fair deal. We just did not have enough time to discuss every facet of my business plan.

I have no idea what your current savings were...and don't care. That has nothing to do with your proifitability as an expediter. For all I know, you inherited part of it..or whatever. It doesn't matter. What I do know is that the numbers he shared with me came out to just less than $1.00 per mile for all miles that you drove the van. I'm assuming that your $1.49 is loaded miles?

Don't play the "I drove a lot of miles for personal reasons" game. I've seen it more than once. We have a driver at Load 1 that tends to make that claim too. Funny how those "personal reason" miles usually put you in a better freight lane than the one you were in before hand...ain't it?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would tend to agree with the reverend that he did make a lot of money when he was running his truck. But the fact of the matter is things have slowed down a lot since then and the rates have slowly degraded! This is true even in the sparce areas where I used to be able to command a decent rate for a cargo van. Thing's aren't like they were back in 2009 and 2010. I rarely even see Tri-State posting loads and all of the Fedex loads that used to go for bookoo bucks are now brokered out for less than a dollar a mile at times. It's a whole different ballgame right now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't know all of the details concerning his business. I don't even remember the exact numbers of how many miles were on the van or the gross revenue. What I do remember is what stuck out to me when Tim told them to me. The gross revenue was LESS than the miles on the van. In other words, it was LESS than $1/mile.

There is another thing that needs to be pointed out in this thread. The business that David had..and a few others...he was basicly set up as his own carrier if I understand it correctly. Much the same as you are, Blizzard. If your acting as the carrier, you should be getting better rates than the leased operators. I don't care what anyone tries to tell us, I know better than to think that the sales calls, the looking for loads on load boards, the phone calls to get the loads, the negotiating for the rates, whatever the cargo insurance costs, the time and effort spent on collections, the time and effort spent on clerical and book keeping in order to keep up with what loads have been billed, or not...etc, etc, etc. ALL of those things are extra effort put out by the person who chooses to run under his/her own authority. Each and every one of those things has a value associated with it. I can't tell you what that value is, but you can bet your bottom dollar, there is a value to it.

I'm saying all of the above to point out that David's $1.49/mile is not unprecedented at all. I would be surprised if most carriers are not charging $1.49/mile for cargo vans and Sprinters (David's van was capable of hauling Sprinter freight). If your going to take on the responsibilites of having your own authority, you better be charging more..why? BECAUSE YOUR DOING MORE WORK !!

I know more about this story than I'm putting in here too. I actually have no problem with what David was doing. As far as I know, he was running his own authority and he wasn't doing the multiple carrier agreement thing. If your going be independent, I support the business plan that David used over the multiple carrier business model.

My problem with this thread is that David started it with every intention of bashing LoadOne..including the title to the thread. He came here and started this thread based on untruths of LoadOne having company equipment competing with the leased drivers and that quite simply is untrue. If David wants to talk about how he ran his business and promote the independent route, I'm all ears. But I'm not going to let him bash LoadOne and by association, me... using false information to do it.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My problem with this thread is that David started it with every intention of bashing LoadOne..including the title to the thread. He came here and started this thread based on untruths of LoadOne having company equipment competing with the leased drivers and that quite simply is untrue.
Yep. This is a DBP in every way that matters. Or a troll for some bizarre reason. He's got some personal issue with Load 1, from Facebook no less, not here, but Facebook for cryin' out loud, and it's largely based on his incorrect assumptions. As a former Moderator here, he should be ashamed of himself. Good grief.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
other than the op's negativity from the start. it doesnt seem that constructive debate is on the agenda. from my point of view, it seems he has a my way or the highway mentality. not everyone wishes to wear all the hats. some of us are very happy doing it the way we do it. and if those rates are true i wouldnt want the hassle, no matter how well i had my billing and all else set up. thats not enough extra for the compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.