The 1000 Mile Load

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Hey Moot, didn't mean to hijack your thread here; I to have an interesting Panther story to share at some point, and I will soon. You mentioned your load was brokered out, I am the guy that gets those brokered loads, and guess what? My Fresno to Portland was one of those, and it supposed to be picked up in Bakersfield, but myself and the Panther driver had to go to Fresno to get the load off of him and onto me (OK, I guess I am telling the story somewhat) and then I went on to Portland, for that $1.74/mile, so now go figure what Panther paid to my broker who paid me the $1,300, all because some goomba at Panther told their driver he would have been over his 16 hour limit. (I know the goomba's name, it starts with a B, and he and she who's name starts with a K were on dispatch that night). So the Panther driver was running the load for $.90/mile (I know, I asked him), and I got the same load for $1.74/mile. Go figure...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Why is that a surprise? That goes on all day long in expediting regardless of the carrier.
Gee...ask me how I know.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Lol...and if I were a goomba at Panther and I accidentally ran across this thread... I could probably find a couple reasons to not use a certain outside carrier anymore?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yep....this stuff goes on all the time. Panther is hardly an exception.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
When it comes to what the load pays, it is also very beneficial for everyone to understand the difference between the rates paid to a carrier and the rates paid to an independent contractor (includes most of us...anybody who is leased to a carrier). If Moot were leased to a Panther certified partner carrier and they won the bid on that same load at 1.40 per mile, then put it on Moot's van at 70% of the rate paid to the partner carrier, the rate paid to Moot would be $.098/mile. At 75%, it would have paid $1.05.

With EO membership consisting of both independent contractors and also a few who run their own carrier/own authority, the lines can be blurred and a new reader might be misled. One could also make the obvious connection to the better rates paid to a carrier vs a contractor. The thing to keep in mind in that case would be that becoming your own carrier is not the same as becoming an independent contractor. That extra pay is warranted by some extra responsibilities.

There have been many discussions in the EO forums about becoming your own carrier and working under your own authority. It does come with extra responsibilities, expenses and risks. Those who do not know the difference would be well advised to do their research before considering it. Then you can weigh the risk/reward equation for yourself to decide if you want to be the $1.40/mile carrier (including all that it entails) or the $1.03/mile contractor. There are legitimate reasons for each.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Why is that a surprise? That goes on all day long in expediting regardless of the carrier.
Gee...ask me how I know.
Goomba,,,,,wow, that goomba load pays well,,, would have liked to have that everyday. You all need to call Panther and ask for Goomba loads, lmaorof...................

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would like being in the $1.40-$1.60 or more range but then I have nasty habits like sleeping, eating, etc. that take up the time I'd have to spend being broker, dispatcher, etc. in addition to expediter. Hey, maybe I could hire someone to do that part and pay them out of the $1.40-$1.60 plus and keep the rest and............ hmmm..... never mind.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would like being in the $1.40-$1.60 or more range but then I have nasty habits like sleeping, eating, etc. that take up the time I'd have to spend being broker, dispatcher, etc. in addition to expediter. Hey, maybe I could hire someone to do that part and pay them out of the $1.40-$1.60 plus and keep the rest and............ hmmm..... never mind.
Hmmmm....I think he "gets" it.

ccouch

Active Expediter
Well, my wife and I drive semi for Panther. We are more than satisfied with them. We just accepted a load for after we come out of time off. We are deadheading from MN to OR for a load going to CA. $5000 for 2700 miles total. I am so happy we switched from Schneider.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, my wife and I drive semi for Panther. We are more than satisfied with them. We just accepted a load for after we come out of time off. We are deadheading from MN to OR for a load going to CA. $5000 for 2700 miles total. I am so happy we switched from Schneider.

$1.85 a mile?.....isn't that just a tad cheap for a semi?.....just asking....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It is,but there are alot running cheaper than that.
It's such an improvement over Schneider that he's excited.
It's all relative.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
$1.85 a mile?.....isn't that just a tad cheap for a semi?.....just asking....

Just like with any other vehicle it depends on where you are, I just took one out of Dugway Proving Ground which is a little west of SLC, UT for $1.90. It went to IN and got me out of a very slow area.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

fastrod

Expert Expediter
When it comes to what the load pays, it is also very beneficial for everyone to understand the difference between the rates paid to a carrier and the rates paid to an independent contractor (includes most of us...anybody who is leased to a carrier). If Moot were leased to a Panther certified partner carrier and they won the bid on that same load at 1.40 per mile, then put it on Moot's van at 70% of the rate paid to the partner carrier, the rate paid to Moot would be $.098/mile. At 75%, it would have paid $1.05.

With EO membership consisting of both independent contractors and also a few who run their own carrier/own authority, the lines can be blurred and a new reader might be misled. One could also make the obvious connection to the better rates paid to a carrier vs a contractor. The thing to keep in mind in that case would be that becoming your own carrier is not the same as becoming an independent contractor. That extra pay is warranted by some extra responsibilities.

There have been many discussions in the EO forums about becoming your own carrier and working under your own authority. It does come with extra responsibilities, expenses and risks. Those who do not know the difference would be well advised to do their research before considering it. Then you can weigh the risk/reward equation for yourself to decide if you want to be the $1.40/mile carrier (including all that it entails) or the $1.03/mile contractor. There are legitimate reasons for each.

Very good post but a little off in one area. I operate as a carrier, 1 van operation with my own authority and with a fsc added in I get over $2.00 per loaded mile. I can get this by working directly with shippers and not partner carriers or glorified group load boards.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Very good post but a little off in one area. I operate as a carrier, 1 van operation with my own authority and with a fsc added in I get over $2.00 per loaded mile. I can get this by working directly with shippers and not partner carriers or glorified group load boards.
Then you have a very good deal going. Your also clarifying your business model up front which prevents any misunderstanding. As long as the business model is explained, I take no issue with it. It can then be discussed in fair and real terms.

With all that said, I do have a few questions....if your willing to answer. Are you able to get that rate consistently? What percentage of deadhead do you incur over a normal period (week, month, quarter)? What is your average length of haul? If you take note of your odometer reading at the beginning of one of those periods and again at the end, then compare revenue to miles driven during that time frame....what would your avg be per all miles driven?

I'm always open to hearing the specifics from someone who is doing well. I would not expect and wouldn't ask you to share any specifics of how you do it (no more than you already have).

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Then you have a very good deal going. Your also clarifying your business model up front which prevents any misunderstanding. As long as the business model is explained, I take no issue with it. It can then be discussed in fair and real terms.

With all that said, I do have a few questions....if your willing to answer. Are you able to get that rate consistently? What percentage of deadhead do you incur over a normal period (week, month, quarter)? What is your average length of haul? If you take note of your odometer reading at the beginning of one of those periods and again at the end, then compare revenue to miles driven during that time frame....what would your be per all miles driven?

I'm always open to hearing the specifics from someone who is doing well. I would not expect and wouldn't ask you to share any specifics of how you do it (no more than you already have).

All my customers are within a 75 mile radius of my home. They know what I charge so their is never a problem there. As far as deadhead I go back home after every delivery so it is 100% I run a 12 year old dodge van and expenses are real low, profit is about 60% of gross after all expenses are paid.