The 1000 Mile Load

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last night at 23:45 I turned down a 993 mile load. The dispatcher was in shock. He said: "but this is a 1000 mile load." Then he said: " If you are afraid it will swap, I can assure you it won't!" I wasn't about to argue with him. I told him I wasn't interested and thanked him for the offer.

The details he offered me about this load over the phone; 100 boxes measuring 12x12x18 @ 2000 lbs. The load picked up at 11:00 this morning and delivers direct at 09:00 tomorrow morning. That's 22 hours and at 45 mph it is still 22 hours. My cruising speed is 63 mph which would get me there in 15¾ hours without stopping. Sure I could push it and make up time but this dispatcher did not have the authority to assure that the load would not swap. The safety department makes that decision. I don't believe I could make up enough time to get it there within my 16 hour limit and provide safety with a comfortable time cushion that they could live with.

I was 200 miles from the pickup and I had time to drive there and get a five hour plus break before picking up. The 200 mile dh was one factor in my decision to refuse this load. I could do the dh and then end up swapping in 400 or maybe 600 miles. Despite this dispatcher's assurance, this load was going to swap.

Also, 100 boxes that measure 12x12x18 seemed like it would be close to cubing me out. I really didn't want to take a chance and drive 200 miles for a $50 dry run. This morning after a cup of coffee I did some math. My cargo area dimensions are 100" long, 52" wide and a door opening of 48". Once inside the door the height dimensions go to a whopping 52". You do the math, would this load fit in my van.

I checked online this morning to see if I get hit with a refusal, even though the load was dispatched more than 8 hours in advance. I didn't get an official refusal but under AVAILABILITY the dispatcher enter: refused a 1000 mile load. I had to call in to get an explanation for that remark. The nice driver relations lady said it was probably added to show I was a choosey driver. Me thinks its actually a code for, dispatch around this trouble maker unless we really need him. I'm currently 1 0f 3, so.... Last night I was 1 of 1. The load got brokered out. It did get picked up so somebody had room.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'd be curious what it paid, but the risk of it not fitting - I think you made the right call.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Moot;

I am proud of you for doing the right thing and refusing that load. You did all your calculations, and realized it was not possible. I commend you also for realizing the Carrier would most likely "swap out" the load at some point. Running a 1,000 mile load straight through in a vehicle under 10,000 pounds GVW, not transporting placardable quantities of hazmat, may be "legal" - it is not wise. Surely "negligence" would be mentioned during litigation following an accident in a 1,000 mile run direct.
You just did the right thing. Great job!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I to commend you on your decision. Not near enough money to take the chance. Over the last couple of years I have read several comments about Panthers policy and how they blatently punish their operators. I understand them wanting to be safe but enough is enough.:cool:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In general, I don't have a problem with swapping out a load. I understand the rational behind it. The problem with Panther is when you accept the load, you don't know where it will swap. Deadheading 200 mile is a gamble I wasn't interested in being there was a good chance the load would swap 400 miles out from the shipper. Had it been 50 miles dh I would've have taken it. I would have no problem with a 400 mile swap and when the 100 boxes didn't fit I'd settle for the measly $50 dry run pay. I'm really not that difficult of a person to deal with. I just don't like being lied to.

Well, maybe I am difficult to deal with. But if the freight wouldn't fit in my van, and according to my calculations it wouldn't. Maybe Panther should be thankful I refused the load thus preventing an "oops" moment at the shipper and avoiding a delay in the transit time. I won't hold my breath waiting for a thank you. Have a nice day!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Every day from the drivers that have a brown stain on their noses. I have never been more fed up with dispatch than today.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Moot;

I am proud of you for doing the right thing and refusing that load. You did all your calculations, and realized it was not possible. I commend you also for realizing the Carrier would most likely "swap out" the load at some point. Running a 1,000 mile load straight through in a vehicle under 10,000 pounds GVW, not transporting placardable quantities of hazmat, may be "legal" - it is not wise. Surely "negligence" would be mentioned during litigation following an accident in a 1,000 mile run direct.
You just did the right thing. Great job!

Hey John did that load get brokered out to you by chance?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
myself in my sprinter van i still drive only 10 hours or 520 then take a break and start up again
some think your in a van but if you fall a sleep in end up in tree's what good are you
thousand mile run would take me 2 day's no matter what
you did the right thing

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, provided the boxes are exactly as claimed and provided your space is 100% usable you could fit 104 of them. Given any intrusion for wheelwells or clothes or whatever or any curvature to the space they won't fit. Being bitten too many times by dispatch warts and swap warts was a main incentive to finally move elsewhere.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Well, provided the boxes are exactly as claimed and provided your space is 100% usable you could fit 104 of them.
How so? I came up with 80.... and thats only if they can be laid on their side 4 wide, 4 high, 5 rows starting from the front.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Now, Now you know that's not fair. Your C/max is a foot wider than his Sprinter. LOL!:cool:
Nope...I just used the dimensions that Moot quoted. Leo is calculating by cubic capacity, but since the freight is said to be boxes, the reality will be how many boxes will fit.

Now, if those boxes were filled with cayenne pepper and the customer would allow it, we could stand Moot's van on it's nose and dump the pepper in. THEN we could get the contents of 104 of those boxes in there....and then some more Im guessing! :D

Calculating by cubic inches doesnt work well at all. I just had to leave a $1,033 load at the dock myself. I have about 3 times the cubic inches needed to carry it. But it was a foot too wide for my truck.