That's it, I can't do this anymore!!!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Almost four and a half years of tarping jet engines and landing gear in the sweltering desert heat, pouring down rain, snow, ice, sleet, and freezing temps. Constant popping and pain in my shoulder from an auto accident a year ago cause some negligent driver ignored the red light and plowed into the back of our car.

I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!!!

Something's got to change.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The glitz and glitter of driving the truck onto the tarmac has apparently lost some of its luster.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
So change it did. I bought the better half and I a new (well new to us) specialized stepdeck trailer. A 2008 Reinke with a Roll Tite automatic tarping system. NO MORE TARPING, NO MORE TARPING!

We just arrive at the shipper/receiver, roll up the rear flap, release the side A-frames from the tarp bow, gently start pushing the tarp forward to expose the deck area. If we're loading the upper deck we release the front tarp latches and roll the tarp to the rear to give us full access to the trailer's deck for loading/unloading. What took sometimes up to hours at the S/R now takes minutes in many cases and at most a third of the time it used to take. And its less strenuous on my injured shoulder meaning I don't have to end my career in hauling open deck specialized freight. I LIKE THAT!

Photo #1: In IL the day I picked the trailer up.
2: Two GE CFM-56 jet engines we transported.
3: Tail view of GE CF-6 jet engine we just delivered to FedEx.
4: Fan (front) view of the same CF-6 we delivered to FedEx.
5: Dragoon, AZ Rest Area enroute to Memphis.

The CF-6 jet engine just fits inside the tarp system clearing the bows with .5" clearance at the top of the bow and a little less than 2" on each side of the bow. Took a total of 20 minutes to open tarp, load engine on deck, chain down, close tarp, and go! THAT'S SWEET!!!

Attachments

• Zerpa photo 1.jpg
    Zerpa photo 1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Zerpa photo 2.jpg
    Zerpa photo 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Zerpa photo 3.jpg
    Zerpa photo 3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Zerpa photo 4.jpg
    Zerpa photo 4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Zerpa photo 5.jpg
    Zerpa photo 5.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 66

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When I hauled trucks my ramps were 55 lbs. We would have 30+ chains/ binders on a seven vehicle load. A Ca delivery with a reload often was a 20 hr day. (12 hours loading at the port.)
Rotator cuff problems were common.
We made very good money. At some point it becomes about things other than the money.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to the ever growing family of lazy flatbedder truckers.
we hope you like it here.
just a quick question, don't this limit your load opportunity ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Congratulations. The only way I'd consider going back to open deck hauling.
Looks nice.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Realy now who would have thought.

Have fun.

Attachments

• heman.jpg
    heman.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Or you make decent money,manage it well,and go expediting to ride around the country to decide where you want to retire.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to the ever growing family of lazy flatbedder truckers.
we hope you like it here.
just a quick question, don't this limit your load opportunity ?

I liked the exercise cause it helped keep the weight down and the beer belly wasn't as big (room for more beer!).

As far as limited load opportunities:
1. Can't do oversized loads THANK GOD!!!
2. Cant hang a hodge podge load over the front and rear of trailer. Look, here comes tobacco road! hahaha.
3. Everything else is fair game!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
When I hauled trucks my ramps were 55 lbs. We would have 30+ chains/ binders on a seven vehicle load. A Ca delivery with a reload often was a 20 hr day. (12 hours loading at the port.)
Rotator cuff problems were common.
We made very good money. At some point it becomes about things other than the money.

Fortunately, we didn't (don't) have to deal with ramps, chains, straps and binders yes. No where near the loads and hours you dealt with. Body was holding up real well with no issues. Shoulder was ripped up in accident.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sorry to hear of accident injury.
Happy that the new trl will help you continue to do your thing.
Wonder how the smooth lines but bigger footprint will affect fuel mileage .

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
The glitz and glitter of driving the truck onto the tarmac has apparently lost some of its luster.

Naw, the glitter still has it's luster. Now I can drive onto the tarmac and really turn some heads and not have to work my arse off in the process! I'm amazed at how many people we load and unload at have never actually seen one of these systems work. We are only one of four units like this in our entire fleet. We can even get two military type choppers in there! Sorry, no pics.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Zorry!

Full of fuel (300 gal) water (50 gal) all of our gear and personal belongings we scale out at 40K plus with no payload. Our average loaded and empty is 6.5-7.0mpg even though we are hauling the equivalent of a box trailer when it comes to wind resistance. Our loads are never over 38K.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Thanks Zorry!

Full of fuel (300 gal) water (50 gal) all of our gear and personal belongings we scale out at 40K plus with no payload. Our average loaded and empty is 6.5-7.0mpg even though we are hauling the equivalent of a box trailer when it comes to wind resistance. Our loads are never over 38K.

Your new arrangement sounds like a smart move and as we all get older, Mother Nature tells us, we can't do certain things anymore, ( with or without an injury ) . With the ease of loading and unloading you now have, why do not more flat bed guys use your kind of setup?