That was positively disgusting

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Just did Operation Goldenflow at a Med-Stop in Elk Grove Village. The guy has me being my sample back to his desk, put it on his desk, and he picks it up using only a paper towel to pour it into the vials. I can see a drop on the desk, and that's where he does the paperwork and such. And this isn't a station where such work is normally done; this is a regular office desk where all clients come in to do the same thing.

I don't know how some places stay in business.

moose

Veteran Expediter
You know how they always call you for a random when you are not expecting.
so then on the way in you drink like a gallon of water just to make shore you can provide a sample.
then they tell you to fill on this long form, and there's ALWAYS a water stands, and you drink more on the way in.
... and then you are late to your PU, but MAN you have to P...
& you can't stop because you are late...
well i always thought it would be cool if instead of a spring water, they will serve hot-T,

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Just did Operation Goldenflow at a Med-Stop in Elk Grove Village. The guy has me being my sample back to his desk, put it on his desk, and he picks it up using only a paper towel to pour it into the vials. I can see a drop on the desk, and that's where he does the paperwork and such. And this isn't a station where such work is normally done; this is a regular office desk where all clients come in to do the same thing.

I don't know how some places stay in business.

I wonder what that county's Department of Public Health would think of that?

And on things that don't make sense, albeit this isn't reality (although the show execs claim they try to "keep it real" ), how come no one in the CSI crime labs wear hair nets, full face shields? I mean, a hair comes loose, someone sneezes, and the evidence is destroyed. On those shows, they slap on a pair of gloves, put on a pair of safety goggles, flip their hair extensions out of the way and get to work. Really?!?

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Saw the same kind of thing at Concentra in St Louis MO, Dirty floors, unchanged papers on the Patient tables, wrinkled and disheveled Doctors who looked like they had just gotten out of bed...its why I said the DOT better inspect these places and check for Licenses, I spent good money for two of the crappiest and worst physicals Ive ever taken, myself and my Brother, after it was done we asked each other about what was done or said and we got two completely different exams...JUNK MEDICAL

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
These days, that is careless. My wife works at a med lab and so long as there is no visable blood or body fluid urine included Gloves are not usualy required. If it is not reconized as a lab working area typicaly specimens are not poured but are bagged and prepped for shipping if needed. My wife always gloves up unless it is already bagged and clean its common sense. The simple rule of thumb most medical professionals follow is if it wet and it dosent belong to you glove up. and clean up any potential biohazard. Maby he was banking on the urine being sterile. Only as long as you dont have a urinary tract infection.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Even in the veterinary industry we gloved up, as zoonotic infections aren't always obvious. Little FiFi may have a UTI, or something worse may be causing it.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive worked as a meddic and on a few occasions bad wrecks, or woman in labor, and Ive had other peoples blood and body fluid on me and yeah the patient dosent have to say didley to you if thier infected with a clold or eboli I just take the side of caution assume somone has somthing I dont want to catch or take home.
This worker is taking a risk just make sure he washes up before shaking hands that explains why he has allot of extra pens.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Ive worked as a meddic and on a few occasions bad wrecks, or woman in labor, and Ive had other peoples blood and body fluid on me and yeah the patient dosent have to say didley to you if thier infected with a clold or eboli I just take the side of caution assume somone has somthing I dont want to catch or take home.
This worker is taking a risk just make sure he washes up before shaking hands that explains why he has allot of extra pens.

He can expose HIMSELF to all the diseases he wants, afaic, but he's exposing everyone that comes into his office when he has us sit there and do the paperwork. Hard to believe that goes on in the 21st century.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
These days, that is careless. My wife works at a med lab and so long as there is no visable blood or body fluid urine included Gloves are not usualy required. If it is not reconized as a lab working area typicaly specimens are not poured but are bagged and prepped for shipping if needed. My wife always gloves up unless it is already bagged and clean its common sense. The simple rule of thumb most medical professionals follow is if it wet and it dosent belong to you glove up. and clean up any potential biohazard. Maby he was banking on the urine being sterile. Only as long as you dont have a urinary tract infection.

Urine is sterile only as long as it remains inside the [closed system] body - once outside, it becomes a biohazard, same as all blood & bodily fluids.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would your opinion change if you were dehydrated and near death? If the only thing standing between me and St. Peter is a bladder full of pee, sign me up. Whatever I catch can be managed via meds (even AIDS).

A drop of pee.

A DROP of PEE.

Srsly?

Kristi

Active Expediter
I wonder what that county's Department of Public Health would think of that?

And on things that don't make sense, albeit this isn't reality (although the show execs claim they try to "keep it real" ), how come no one in the CSI crime labs wear hair nets, full face shields? I mean, a hair comes loose, someone sneezes, and the evidence is destroyed. On those shows, they slap on a pair of gloves, put on a pair of safety goggles, flip their hair extensions out of the way and get to work. Really?!?

Lol.. I love that show but I'm right there with you. The other thing that cracks me up about CSI is the cloths and shoes they wear to the "crime scenes". I'm sorry but if I was getting ready to walk into a place with a dead body or possibly blood and guts everywhere I'm sure a heck not wearing heels and white pants. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was in LTL the company paid for our DOT physicals and used an industrial clinic in St. Paul. The doctor was pushing 80 years and did the physical in his office. While standing and reading the eye chart, he would walk up behind you and clap his hands. If you flinched or turned around you passed the hearing test. Then he would hand you a cup, point you toward the sink behind his desk and tell you to fill the cup and "finish off" in the sink. I don't know how his female patients dealt with the sink thing.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Would your opinion change if you were dehydrated and near death? If the only thing standing between me and St. Peter is a bladder full of pee, sign me up. Whatever I catch can be managed via meds (even AIDS).

A drop of pee.

A DROP of PEE.

Srsly?

If a drop of my pee is on there now, how many more drops have there been lately? Judging by their lab practices, they're not big on cleaning or hygiene. So how long has it been since it was cleaned and how many drops have there been, and from whom?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe they are in the process of licensing Dr's to do DOT physicals. The day of the physical at a chriopractor are limited.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you've ever been involved in fast food that drop of pee would seem sooo insignificant.