Tesla Unveils All-Electronic Big Rig

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think it's the beez kneez. Git R Dun.

I think electric is a great fit for most of trucking, other than long haul.

Reactions: Grizzly

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For short haul or city use...considering what that does to current diesel emissions technology...this seems pretty attractive.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Meijer has put in reservations for 4 of them so far. I can see Meijer, Walmart, Target, etc., having charging stations at the distribution centers and the stores. Charging stations at LTL terminals. The crossdock warehouses for assembly plants would make great use of electric trucks.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is more Nat Gas stuff out there than you might think...not long haul per se...but there is a lot...including a few hundred new Peterbilts that Chrysler Transport owns (really nicely done too) and Waste Management has a lot of gas trucks. Robert Transport out of Quebec has I think 50 or 60 Nat Gas units that run to Laredo and back and they are buying more each year. Still has emissions junk on it but waaaay simpler and waaay more reliable. I think PFJ may be making their Nat Gas money more off local type fleets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two cup holders, nice touch. No mention of total tractor weight. The camera/monitor system instead of mirrors will require many companies to re-letter the fronts of their trailers from:
upload_2017-11-17_17-23-12.png
to WARNING 13'6" HIGH

The comparisons between the Tesla and a diesel tractor aren't especially accurate being the Tesla is a known and the diesel tractor is ...what; the average diesel tractor? Besides Meijer, Walmart, Target, etc. I think electric tractors would be an excellent fit for LTL terminal to terminal linehaul.

The article mentioned the long term savings of electricity vs. diesel being that the price of electricity isn't as volatile as the price of oil products. True, but in the future with the shuttering of coal fired generating plants and the hold on building new nuclear power plants, can wind and solar keep up with the new demand for electricity without an increase in price?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-17_17-17-43.png
    upload_2017-11-17_17-17-43.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 25

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Meijer has put in reservations for 4 of them so far. I can see Meijer, Walmart, Target, etc., having charging stations at the distribution centers and the stores. Charging stations at LTL terminals. The crossdock warehouses for assembly plants would make great use of electric trucks.
Wal-Mart has ordered 15 of them!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wal-Mart has ordered 15 of them
Yup. I think electric vehicles are going to be über popular. <giggle>

Things are coming full circle. In the early days of the horseless carriage electric power waa by far the most popular. But battery technology just wasn't there, and couldn't match up with gasoline powered internal combustion engine, particularly in combination with the infrastructure of filling stations.

Those trucks, whatever they're called, that move trailers around the yard, I can see those all moving to electricity very quickly.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Your talking about the company called Ottawa. Spotting trailers, yard dog, yard jockey ect. I use to drive those for years putting trailers to the dock and hooking up set of pups.
Yeah, Yard Dog, that's the term I couldn't remember. Thanks.

I've delivered up to the Ottawa plant a couple of times. Pretty neat.

Reactions: DollarSign

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well Walmart has been putting in charging stations at stores for the last year or so...about 6 spots worth...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the tip off was last year or so the Saudi's were investing their money in "other" venues other then oil.....they know the future down a few more generations....they are looking to diversify...

Reactions: Grizzly

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a game changer. I wouldn't want to own stock in Shell or BP in the future
The Greenies want people to believe that electricity is magic. That it is clean and sustainable. While some what true, the materials used to store and transmit electricity are not. Lithium-ion batteries currently the most popular battery type for vehicles are made up of lithium, colbolt, nickel, manganese, lead, graphite and other minerals that are not sustainable or infinite. The U.S. has little if any of most of these Li-Ion battery ingredients.

Sell you Shell and BP stock and invest in mining companies doing business in Africa, China, South America and Canada.