Tesla Unveils All-Electronic Big Rig

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Spending a night in an electric truck at a truck stop would be a different experience. You would not have the white noise of your generator or idling truck engine. Outside sounds would more readily penetrate your sleeper and disrupt your sleep. White noise generators might become a new thing for drivers of electric trucks.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Spending a night in an electric truck at a truck stop would be a different experience.
Yes it would but certainly a better experience than spending the night in the electric chair!
You would not have the white noise of your generator or idling truck engine. Outside sounds would more readily penetrate your sleeper and disrupt your sleep. White noise generators might become a new thing for drivers of electric trucks.
One could always install Magic Fingers and get the noise of a generator and the therapeutic benefits of a massage. Start saving those quarters.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Having read each post several times I feel it is a niche market at best (as previously stated by others).
Lng/Lpg will eventually be the long haul fuel of choice. Electric in the short haul.
As we as a nation move away from diesel (through various paths) things not presently volital will become so.

Electric companies will not prepare. Rather to milk power shortages with higher rates (more profit) then half-heartedly set about to improve (where are power plants being built?).
(Where is infrastructure being improved?)

As moot said we lack the materials for the batteries. Those materials exist in very unstable countries.
We will struggle for ready access from (or to) them (most of whom we've already ticked off).

Other countries (cities) are banning diesel from their boundaries already. Deadlines are being set (2020 for most).

They too will be competing for the same scarce resources, perhaps more vigorously than us?

Rather than a "bright future" it will be fraught with peril & growing pains.
Third world countries will supercede the Arabs in prominence (metals).

While some seek to innovate those in power will do as always .. .... Hesitate!
Thus the activities will be the similar, it will be a different playing field.

My 2¢

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
France Paris specifically, Mexico city, London, several others. I think France is hot against gas too 2040 for that one.
China banned coal for home heating by the end of this year, but has recently rolled that back due to no alternatives.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Madrid, Athens, Rome, new Delhi is in there somewhere I think & Brussels, Oslo. It's a big list
Correction 2025 not 2020. Most are imposing "fees" for diesel vehicles commensurate with their age til then.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
BS, I get your point.
MAJOR difference between a country banning diesel and a city banning diesel.
We can service any city w/o diesel.
We are not ready for a country to be diesel free.

Reactions: Grizzly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Back in the early days of the horseless carriage, electric motor cars were the most common, in no small part because those early gas engines had the same complaints then as they do now, namely, noisy, smelly, and noxious. But those early batteries were kind of a mess and hard to maintain. The gasoline powered internal combustion engine won out because of easier maintenance, longer lengths of travel and the ease and speed of installing infrastructure (gas stations).

Technology is catching up to the internal combustion engine to the point where we'll all soon be back to electric vehicles. The sooner the better, I say.

Vehicles are recharging when going down hill, and by using the excess energy in braking. Solar panels atop vehicles will add to that, as will wireless charging while going down the road (much like wireless charging of cell phones today). Coast to coast electric trucks may not happen in my lifetime, but it will happen soon.

Reactions: Grizzly

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
... Vehicles are recharging when going down hill, and by using the excess energy in braking. Solar panels atop vehicles will add to that, as will wireless charging while going down the road (much like wireless charging of cell phones today). Coast to coast electric trucks may not happen in my lifetime, but it will happen soon.

In one of those posts I read that they are already or close to presenting a rapid charger for trucks to recharge up to 300 miles distance in 30 minutes (can we say faster than fueling up at current islands for trucks?). 30 minutes break every 5-6 hours of driving?

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Reactions: Grizzly and Turtle

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did I read that Volvo will build only electric and hybrids within a year or two.

Volvo, that great Chinese car company !

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have yet to see a maximum payload capacity or empty weight for the Tesla.

For comparison, Cummins says the AEOS will offer a 100-mile range that can be optioned up to 300 miles with additional battery packs. It hasn’t said anything about price, but we do know the maximum payload will be about 44,000 pounds.

Daimler, meanwhile, says the E-Fuso Vision One will have slightly more than a 200-mile range and will be able to haul up to 22,000 pounds. Like Cummins, Daimler hasn’t announced pricing yet. Tesla says its Semi will have a 500-mile range and will haul up to 80,000 pounds.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Update (& slight correction):

France & England will ban the sale of both gas & diesel vehicles by 2040. India by 2030.

While the C40 want vehicles out of city limits with their respective bans, counties are likewise following suit in their manner.
The thought could be "these are small countries. India however is not.
The handwriting is on the wall, and while the USA may not accept this until the end it will come to pass.

Sigh!!?? If I could invent wireless electric power transmission, and supper efficient batteries. I could sell it to truck stops.
You could recharge while showering. Charging complete, shower cuts off, robot zaps ur ass out the door!
One would get Skinner (no time to eat).

Better yet robot trucks, no shower, no food ....... Savings right there!?

Aaaaahhhh the profit potential!

Last edited:
Reactions: VSprinter

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
are they going to build that in a straight truck
or take one and make into a straight truck